Ying and Yang

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 19, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

Wow! Just came home from walking the dog and here was a young boy on the corner with a backpack. School starts today in my neighborhood. Had I seen a school bus I might have had that resentment that i have felt for the past 2 school years. A sub again. *sigh*

BUT... I am going on an interview in another district today. This is my first interview since late May. It's not a position I really LIKE... special ed aide in a jr high (not special ed qualified though I have worked with special ed and tierd 2&3 students in small group and individual circumstances...and jr high? though I have worked with those ages a number of times in the past- they aren't my favorite years). Being a special ed aide and not an instruction/classroom aide...I'm not sure that that will move me into a classroom teacher position, BUT I think being IN the school will help me network and have the early chance at internal job hunts.

The nervous part about this.... the interview is being video taped. If I mess up - it'll be in district for all to see for a WHILE yet. *bites nails*

Ok... Wish me well. If not this (or the many last minute job opening applications I've been doing this last week) I'm actually at peace with doing subbing for one last year. If nothing comes by next September i am more comfortable with the idea of moving on. Sad, but getting to a position of surrender to the possibility.

3. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

I likewise am going into my 3rd year of subbing, although I just interviewed for a special ed aide position yesterday. Similarly, I'd prefer to have my own classroom; should I be given an offer tomorrow, I'll needed to have weighed the pros and cons of choosing an aide position over subbing.

For me, the best perks of an aide position are 1) benefits and 2) a consistent schedule, pay and environment.
    Plus, an added incentive for both of us is working with the same people (i.e. classroom teacher, SPED instructor, etc.). This would give us potential new references, as well as specific students whose progress we can actually track all year - hence even more "marketable" for future job openings.

Anyhow, as you can see, I myself am having to debate what the next best step is. :) I wish you the best of luck in your interview today! I've never had an interview taped before, but I wouldn't worry about it. Likely, they are taping it either because 1.) someone who's normally on the interview committee can't be present and/or 2.) they may be interviewing a lot of people for multiple positions and don't want to get confused - thus, they use video cameras to both review interviews and give people a fair shot. When you think about it that way, I think the video camera is actually a beneficial thing for YOU. Thus, don't think, "Oh my gosh, every mistake is recorded!" Think, "All of my awesome answers will be recorded, and no other answers will be as good as these, and you'll have proof!"

You know what I mean. Go knock their socks off! :)

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

Good luck!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

How did it go, McKenna?

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

Well, it was a screening SITUATIONAL interview. You know..what if this? and what if that? Ones that talk about what would you do if...? and not really INSTRUCTIONAL - by relational and community questions.

THOSE???? I could do in my sleep. So I feel I knocked it out of the park.

The school...I can't even EXPLAIN how incredible this school is. Like WOW! I mean...W O W ! Like died and gone to heaven wow.

The job...pays HOURLY. Yuck. The woman apologized and said she feels terrible about it. It's 7.5 hours and you are up and working 7 hours of that. You have a .5 hour lunch room or recess field duty daily (and with jr high? - yuck) The houly wage is like working a Sunday at the grocery store. It would be about $10 LESS than I would get by subbing. BUT it IS regular work and it is a foot in the door. PLUS it has insurance included-so THAT is good.

So.... did I get it? i don't know yet. The tape is so that even if I am not a good fit for THAT school they pass it on to other schools in the district.

Now..information I found out. She said that there were over 500 applications for aides alone, and over 1,000 for the teaching positions. The automatic screener (not a person -but screener software?) looks for personality/teacher profiles that would fit with their philosophy (i guess I fit), and then those that make THAT cut...someone looks for other criteria. the woman HERSELF didn't seem to know somethings i told her- so I think she was not the person.

She liked what I said, and really liked a few of my answers.... so let's see. Classes start on Tuesday. It can't be too much longer until i find out.

(sorry...correct a few mistakes...but I am really tired. Up all night worrying. time for a nap.)

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2010

Glad to hear it went well, McKenna! Hope you hear some good news soon!

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

Oh, Good luck! Best wishes! Hoping this one is it for you!

From all that I have read and learned on here from you alone McKenna- I feel it would be a huge loss for the students of IL if you were to stop looking after next year. Don't give up hope! You are a teacher and a great teacher, albeit currently one without your own personal classroom. Best wishes! Thinking of you!

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

McKenna, I am praying and crossing my fingers like mad in hopes that you get this job!! You've worked so hard, proved yourself to be a worthy teacher-- you deserve this!! :) Good luck!

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

McKenna I am sending prayers your way. You have worked so hard and deserve this.

11. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 21, 2010

McKenna

I am hoping that things will work out for you - I had an aide position last year; although it didn't lead to anything in that district, it helped expand my experience with special needs students and was a steady paycheck vs. subbing.

Good luck!