YIKES!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Aug 4, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Hey everyone. I am about to start my 2nd year teaching and I am so excited and nervous. The only problem is....I have not been able to get into my room and no one knows when we can and this is the last week available for me to work in it before school starts! The school got remodeled over the summer and there is NOTHING in the rooms....I am starting to get very very anxious..I teach 1st grade and i need my room completed before they come in! Has anyone ever been this pressed for time in their classroom??? :woot:

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

i was the same way last year...my school got remodeled and we were waiting for the halls to be waxed and walls to be touched up. we were in the weekend before school starts...not nearly enough time but some how you find a way to get it all done. you might not be able to unpack everything before the kids come in but as you need things unpack them. don't overwhelm yourself...get done what you can at home...start planning if you can...write your beginning of school letter...type a class list....
    and most of all! GOOD LUCK!

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

Ouch no I havent been and wouldnt want to be in that situation. I think JenL has a great idea take things one day at a time and get things done when you can. As far as the small stuff dont sweat it. I would get the major things needed for the first night done and go from there.

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

i'm in a simmilar situation now. A new wing was added to my building and I haven't been able to get in to set up my room either. Our open house is Thursday and I doubt I will get it all done in time.

6. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am in a very similar situation right now LOL! I'm also starting my second year of teaching, but this will be my first year in my new district. They did some remodeling over the summer and my new room became the storage room. They promised it would be empty now, but it's still the storage room! And when I say storage, I mean that it is filled floor to ceiling. I've never even seen the back half of the room because you can't get in that far before you are completely stuck!

I'm starting to get frustrated and nervous since school will be starting so soon, but I don't want to complain and make enemies in a new school. I'm crossing my fingers it will be better tomorrow morning!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

I am waiting for them to finish the floors in my room. We had to pack everything again this year for them to get the carpet out and put tile in. Yuck! I won't be in until a few days before the year starts. My advice is just to prioritize which is what I think has already been said. Make alist and try to enlist the help of others too-- My mom and friend have been very helpful to me in the past when this has happened to me.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

Yikes I can not imagine that full of a room i would be in panic mode right now... I hope eveyrthing works ok for you all.

9. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am so glad to know that I am not alone. I am switching rooms and I PRAY that all of my stuff goes to the right room!!!

10. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

brandi - I know EXACTLY how you feel - I'm in the same situation too! It's my second year, I"m at a new school and the principal told me today she still has NO IDEA when I'll be able to get in my room.........At first I was a wreck worrying about it, but then I got tired of being worried and anxious all the time......

All I can offer you is what I'm now telling myself everyday.......even if I don't get in until the DAY before school starts, at least they will have desks to sit at and MY smiling face giving them LOTS of activities to do (which is what I've been doing the last couple weeks - finding worksheets, activities, games, etc. for "back to school")

It'll be okay - I don't think the kids are really gonna care if our rooms aren't decorated the 1st day of school. Sure, it would be NICE, but hey, what can we do about it?

So I just keep telling myself "No worries - all I need is a game plan to get us through the first week or two (which is all review, procedures, and "getting to know you stuff" anyway!) And slowly but surely I'll can unpack this, decorate that.......etc.

Hope this helped! :)

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

My husband finally was able to get to his new room yesterday and the teacher before him still hadn't cleaned out cupboards. Today I am taking boxes and packing it all and putting in the hallway. It's ridiculous to me because the teacher that moved out of the room still works at the school!! My husband starts Thursday. It's insane. I say keep on it and keep checking. It will all come together for you and next year, it'll be easier.

12. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for the response.....I have some activities for the first few days....only problem is I have to go through my 40 boxes to find my supplies! I considered just buying somemore stuff but I can't afford it....I am sooooooooo freaking out now! I rode by the school a few minutes ago and still no boxes or anything in the rooms!!!!

13. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Well today I went to the school and they were bringing furniture in......Most would say thats a great thing but not me!!!! They brought in 3 classrooms worth of furniture in my 1 room!!! ahhhhhhhhh.....I have to sort through all of this stuff and I have 2 days!!