Yikes!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teachntravl, Jul 16, 2011.

1. teachntravl

teachntravl Rookie

Jul 16, 2011

I accepted a position at a small, private school. I just saw my kindergarten classroom and learned that I have NOTHING. I will have a few desks. That's it. I mean literally nothing in the classroom. Holy smokes! There's another K at the school, much bigger classroom, set up for a K.

I have no idea where to even start. I don't have a rug, even. And I don't have the $ to buy a bunch of stuff. I purchased all the elements for a nice calendar wall, but I hadn't intended on buying much else.

I don't know how I'll manage centers. Books aren't bad - at least I can get those from a library until I build my own library, but still.

Anyone ever experience something like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

3. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Jul 16, 2011

When I taught at a private school the same exact thing happened to me! I went to all the local thrift stores and Good Will and garage sales. I made a lot of my own centers and games too.

You could call a carpet store and see if they have any carpet squares they would donate. Or just the other day I bought a foam puzzle piece carpet from WalMart. Its 9 12" x 12" squares. You could make a "carpet" from those? At least a temporary one. They were just $4 for 1 set.

Maybe they will let you have a wish list for parents where you could ask for different things for you room. The other teachers may give you some things to borrow too?

I know its really frustrating when that happens especially when there's another K class full of stuff. Parents would come in my room and complain because it looked so empty.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2011

Freecycle...craigslist...and family and friends. Send out an SOS for toys...you will be surprised at what you will get. I got Lego and a doll house from Freecycle. I also got a great wooden train set from there also. I purchased a 5 x 7 rug at Ross for $12.95 this week for my daughter's room. Also...post in the lounge. You might be surprised at what others will give you.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

Having a teacher wish list is a good idea. I've seen teachers who do this all through the year. They just put sticky notes up on their door with the item that they need. Then the parent can take the note and make the purchase. I've even seen teachers request gift cards.

Look at garage sales too. Sometimes retired teachers will get rid of some of their extra things that way.

If you've already bought a nice calendar set, make that the focus of your room.

I would check with the other teachers and see if they could share or donate some things. I would also check around with friends and family to see if they have anything to donate. You might be able to get some things that way to set up a dramatic play center or a building center.

Remember that this is your first year in the room and you can keep adding things.

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 16, 2011

Same thing for me last year. I hit the dollar store pretty hard and stores like Target and spent way too much money. But then other teachers donated some stuff, parents sent in items (one mom was a teacher who switched grades and had a bunch of K appropriate items), I raided my attic and playroom for toys and books my children outgrew. Don't get so overwhelmed right now, it will come together!

7. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

This has also happened to me! I agree with the above posts. I bought a BIG carpet remmnant (end of the roll) at Menards for $50 which was well worth it. Carpet really warms things up! Also, ask for donations from the parish or school families. They want things for their kids at school, so they are usually generous. Collect inexpensive things for math manipulatives like milk carton lids, buttons, dyed pasta of all shapes and sizes, even cut straws can make cheap manipulatives! Use these during math and during centers. Make a big art center- as you can stock this with supplies from the school or students. Also, get your books from your own school library which is so much easier than having to transport books from the public library. My librarian would even pull books each week that went with our unit theme so the rotation kept interest high. Good luck!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2011

Have you looked at Sprout? It's run by a member here, Jem. She collects used teacher items, and sells them very reasonably.

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

Pretty much what others said.

But this week alone, I have found thrift stores to be my friend! I have found 30 books in good condition for 10 cents to 25 cents a piece. Along with some educational videos (not dvds).

My parents are great too with a wish list of essentials that can add up. (crayons, glue, copy paper, pencils)

Look on craigslist and what has been a savior for me if possible see if you can put up a project on DonorsChoose.org.