Yikes. Tornado touched down about 10 minutes from my house.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

Pretty scary. I found out when I got home that a tornado touched down about 10 minutes from my house. My dad was out running errands when he saw it and called to let my mom know so that she could bring my rabbit inside the house. My school is about another 10 minutes away, but there were no warnings issued. Just had to share. I'm not used to tornadoes. Earthquakes yes, tornadoes, no.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

glad you are safe!

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

Do you live where there are usually tornadoes? I am glad everyone is safe!!

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 9, 2009

Woah, that's strange for your area! We've seen a few near Sacramento but none ever touched down. I'm glad you and your family are safe!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

Thanks! I have lived in this area for about 13 years (minus a couple when I went away to university). I do remember a couple of warnings/watches in the past, but most of them were either way more north, or way further south. So, it was a shock when I came home and heard about this. The P emailed the staff when news first went out, but of course, I was teaching and didn't get the email until just now. I'm glad I didn't know about it; I would have worried too much about my rabbit.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

Wow! How scary! I'm glad that you're okay!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 9, 2009

Oh man, being stuck at work and worrying about a pet at home is hard. Glad everything is OK :)

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 9, 2009

Are you familiar with tornado protection for your students? When the weather is potentially tornadic "looking" here, we watch the clouds. Often, we have what I refer to as "idiot" warnings, like after the fact. The sirens will go off after a tornado has passed over. We watch the weather and radars on the National Weather Service on our computers and use common sense. It's frightening to think about being at school and protecting your students there. If you don't know, students are supposed to go to the inside wall and sit criss-cross with their heads to their knees and their hands folded criss-cross over their head. If I have time and they have some kind of coat, I have them put that over their backs. At my home we are signed up with the State's weather service and they call telling us to take cover if there's a tornado in the path of our zip code. It's just about that season again.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

I'm glad your okay, Peach! How scary!

11. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

Very glad you are okay! I'm not ready for tornado season to be here again since our town got hit last year. My school was destroyed as well as 1/2 the town. It's scary, but I'm glad you were not affected.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2009

I'd be scared too! :eek: I'm so glad I never have to worry about tornadoes, hurricanes, or floods & I hope I never live in an area that has them. I guess I'll take the earthquakes.

Glad you're safe.

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 10, 2009

Hope everyone is okay! I think tornadoes have to be the worst! They just appear without much warning!