Yikes! Nothing Works

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LiveNLearn, Oct 13, 2008.

1. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

:(
    I have a rough class this year. Every management strategy I can think of does not work with the students that need it the most.
    I am frustrated that I got a class loaded with major behavior problems. Originally, the other class was planned to be a combo, but before school started the other class became a straight six. The behaviors weren't moved off my list.

Does anyone have some ideas for management for a newbie?:help:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 13, 2008

To help get better suggestions, can you tell us what you have tried already? Consistency is key--sometimes it takes a few days for them to get used to a new discipline system so try the same thing for about a week before you scarp it altogether. What behaviors is the class exhibiting?

4. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I teach fourth grade and this works great....

My students earn points for a "party" I put up "25 points" on the whiteboard each morning. As I need to, I remove points, class talking or off task....I don't say anything, I just walk over and start marking off points. I use this all day long, it really keeps them on task and quiet. Now this is the important part.... I give them a goal to reach and at the beginning of the year it is low. So they may have to earn 75 points to earn a party. They could (if they were perfect!) earn a party within the first week.... That of course, does not happen. It usually takes up to a month to earn the first "party", but I try to make sure they get one fairly quickly so that they understand the benefit of keeping their points. I keep a running tally of their points, so they always know how many they have and how many they need. I write....
    "We have 37 points" --- (or however many they have)
    "We need 75 points" --- on the board every day along with the 25 underneath. When they earn their "party" I let them give me ideas (I have power of veto) and then the class votes on it. Obviously, the "parties" are not always what you would consider a party. We have done things like show and tell, extra time at recess, "read the morning away" whatever they vote on, and of course occasionally, they have things like...popcorn and a movie, board game afternoons, etc. Each time the # of points they need goes up.... so it gets harder to get a party and they get better trained.

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

If you have not already seen it look into Power Teaching. Check here for step by step instructions. I will gladly help you get started.