Yikes I am in way over my head! Behavior Management help!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Sep 20, 2013.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 20, 2013

My background the last three years I worked with students with autism with severe behavioral issues. I loved it but commuted 150 miles a day!

I told another job 12 miles from home and 4 weeks into it I am sinking :( quickly behaviorally.

These are high school students with mild to moderate autism 1/2 are certificate of achievement and 1/2 are diploma bound. They are 9th through 11 grade. I only have 7 or 8 at a time!

There are 15 in the program I have a co-teacher whom teaches math and science and I teach english and reading.

Our behavior management program is that they earn $2 for a period after earning 5 tokens in a class period. They have a student store where they spend the money on Fridays. I have things in there they like.

It doesn't motivate them throughout the week. They also earn 5 minutes of free time at the end of class period.

They tell me their old teacher use to yell a lot. One student said I don't mad because I do not raise my voice.

The issues I am having are not listening, defiance and I guess typical classroom behavior that I am not use too:dizzy::dizzy:

One student leaves the classroom when mad. . .

One of my students said I was weak. . . .I given them detention and I don't make a big deal out of it. That does nothing either but take from my lunch. . . . .

I want to cry and quit. . . .

HElP ----YELP:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::help:

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

This post really surprises me. I have taught kids living with Autism, and I've never had these kind of behaviors from them. These must be high functioning kids. Most of the problems I have are just melt-downs due to the lack of communication skills. I've never had a kid living with Autism say anything mean to me. Most of the time they do not have the communication skills to properly hurt someone's feelings.

Some advice-STOP the school store. They are too old for this. It's not motivating them. We have something similar in our middle school, and most of the kids could care less about it.

What are you doing in the classroom? Do they have a lot of free time? I know when my students have any free time at all, they come apart almost immediately.

Are you doing too much of one activity? Are you lecturing too much? Too much seat work, etc? I had a VERY difficult resource class a few years back (LD and EMD kids.) It was the first period of the day, and the behavior was horrible at first! I had a student call me a "dumb ass mother ****er" the first day, and he also threatened to "kick my ugly ass."

I ended up making a 15 minute rotating schedule of events in the classroom. This is how it looked: 15 minutes of whole group lesson, and then break up into the following rotating groups: 15 minutes on the computer working on reading-related activities. 15 minutes in a small group with me. 15 minutes in a silent reading area. IT WORKED MIRACLES!!! It's like I didn't even have the same group of kids.

At the end of the month, we would have donuts and juice and I would "conference" with them on their behavior. We would talk about things I liked that I saw out of them, and things that I wanted to see changed. Then, I would let them do the same. We would both sign the paper and agree to try to change the behavior that the other person wanted to see changed. I have a bad habit of talking way too loud, and one of the students asked me if I could please try not to talk so loud when I was in my small group. I agreed. One day he was on the computer, and he turned to me and said, "Remember what we talked about in our session, you're doing it again." I just smiled, because that was the SAME kid who called me a "dumb ass mother ****er" on the first day of school.

Can I sit here and say I never had any problems in that class? No! We still had bad days. But, 95% of the days were better. I can only think of 5-6 days that were rough.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

OMG! I just read in another post that you were doing Read 180. That's actually where I got the idea for the rotating schedule from. I researched different reading programs online, and I liked this one the best. Of course, my school could NOT afford it, so I just kinda hijacked their structure. Is this the subject/class that you are having the trouble with?