Yet another homework thread

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4inteacher, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

Honestly, I'm ready to quit. I haven't been on a2z in awhile because this school year has been a little wobbly so far. I thought I had so much in order before the year began. Boy was I wrong. Also, I'm three months pregnant with my first little one and therefore an emotional wreck at times. Onto the the point...

We teach from the ABeka curriculum (the school version, not the homeschool version). Our administrator likes this curriculum because he says "people who've never taught before can pick it up and be teachers." We have volunteer teachers come in from the States every year as well as local teachers from the area. I am one of those volunteer teachers with no teaching background.

Our curriculum requires us to only grade tests and quizzes. I chose to start grading classwork/homework this year which was supported by my principal.

Each week, I give my students our classwork for the entire week. Whatever is not finished in class is to be completed at home. I grade homework at the end of the week (about 2-3 assignments per subject), and they have no homework over the weekend. The problem is I have some students who work like snails (on purpose) in class then go home and complain to their parents that they have "too much homework." Then the parents come in and fuss at me. I have some kids who have already "given up" on their homework grades. They just don't care anymore.

Now, you should know these kids are not used to being held accountable for classwork/homework. This is a new thing for them, so I have some kids who have yet to do a single assignment in some subjects--in class or at home.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I want to teach the kids responsibility. I want the parents to be happy with their child's education. I don't want to be stressed out for the rest of the year. Should I just revert back to the curriculum and only grade quizzes and tests? If so, how do I make sure the kids are actually doing their classwork?

Please help :help:

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 25, 2009

I'm having the same problem and as of now, I have no solutions.

4. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

thanks for empathizing... at least I know I'm not alone in this endeavor.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2009

I don't know if this will help, but, perhaps you could hang on to the unfinished classwork for a couple of weeks instead of sending it home. Then you could call the parents in for a conference and show them exactly what their student is accomplishing(not accomplishing) in class. It may make an impression on some parents. Some parents are still going to blame you for upsetting little Johnny by making him accountable. Unfortunately, that goes with today's world where parents expect you to be the sole instructor for everything from social skills to academics and don't involve them at all in the process.
    You might also try some reward program for the students who follow your rules (Yes, bribery still works with that age level)