yet another guided reading question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

In my school, we are paired up with an assistant for Guided Reading. During the Reading block, our assistant - whoever it may be: SpEd teacher, computer teacher, classroom aide, etc. - comes into the room and meets with different groups (1 or more). I would like to make a set of guidelines for how I would like the guided reading time to be used in the room, but would that be overstepping any boundaries? I just want to make sure that the students are getting the absolute best instruction and that they are learning what needs to be learned at that time. I know that the other teachers / aides can definitely teach the groups; I have no doubt in my mind about that. I simply want to make sure this time is as organized as possible so that the time is utilized in the best way.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

Are you asking a question about how to structure your Guided Reading? I'm not seeing the question...sorry.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Depending on how you approach it, it could be seen as stepping on toes. I think as long as you are professional and offer it as help/guidance it would be appreciated. Especially if it is someone who doesn't usually teach guided reading! I would refer to it as "our guided reading routine" or something rather than what I wanted them to do... it would make sense that you would want all students to have the same guided reading structure (within reason).

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

Yes, that's what I think. The reason I want to do something like this is because there are some people that have come in only to hang out with the students rather than do anything that has to do with guided reading. They want us to basically hand over one or two of our groups to the other person, but it's hard to do so when the other person does not do what they are supposed to. I was hoping that with the guidelines / guided reading routine everyone would know exactly what to do. Even when talking with certain people and trying to verbalize how the guided reading time should go, they still want to come in and chit chat with the kids. Sometimes it's harder to teach in guided reading with more than one person teaching. It just means I need to find time during other parts of our day to meet with those students. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this...

6. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

It is so nice that you get an extra person to help with your groups!! If I were in your shoes, I would want to let that person know how I wanted the groups to run. I say that because, as the teacher, you are the person who has the students' assessment data, knows which skills they need to work on, etc. Also, it is you who their performance reflects upon in the end. I would think that your "helper" would appreciate the guidance. :)

7. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

At my school we are required to come up with lesson plans for the assistant while she is working with students. After all, you are the classroom teacher (with students all day) and you know students' weaknesses/areas needed for improvement. I think that it only makes sense for you to develop plans/guidelines for what you'd like the assistant to work on with the student. It is your class and you should definitely know what's going on with students during such an important instructional time like guided reading.

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I would say, make a general (generic) lesson - step by step so that whoever this person is knows the expectations you have for the students during that lesson. I think if you make it about the students and their progess you'd be ok. (and I have to say, I totally understand your wanting to do this!)

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2007

If its going to be another classroom teacher who has guided reading experience, I'd talk with them first to see what their ideas are. But if its an aide or a special subject teacher, then I would consider coming up with a plan and "helping" them through it. I agree, you obviously want things to go the way that will best benefit your students. But you also don't want to step on the toes of someone who will be working with you all year.

10. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

We get special teachers/aides to come into our room but not on a daily basis we usually have them twice a week but it is scheduled. In our school we give them a plan on what we want done because they don't make plans but you could ask if they have suggestions that way it appears like you are creating a working team. I think the only person you should check with is the SPED to see if they have certain things they need to do with the students that they service.

11. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

You are the classroom teacher, so things should be run the way you want them to run. Setting ups guidelines and having a training session with the assistants to make sure they understand what this time is for and what you expect. Don't assume they know what to do. Have them observe you working with a group. You might even have a form that they can use each time they work with a group that has a sequence of tasks, reminders and a place to write what they worked on for accountability purposes. It is great to have help in the classroom, but it only becomes a burden and problem when they don't know what to do or aren't held accountable.