Yet again, a teacher forcing mandatory Pledge

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 3Sons, Sep 28, 2022.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2022

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2022

The racism and lack of acceptance of people from other cultures and nationalities is quite disturbing. I think your heading maybe should read "Yet again, a teacher saying a racist comment towards a Hispanic student." That is what disturbs me the most. Yes, lots for us teachers to do help this next generation to be more tolerant than what we currently are seeing in our society today.

3Sons likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2022

This teacher needs to work at the school with the one near here that refuses to use the students’ preferred pronouns and/or name because it’s “against God”.

5. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Sep 29, 2022

I have never seen a kid from another country intentionally sit, kneel, or refuse to make an attempt to recite any school pledges or spirit cheers. The only students I have ever seen disrespect the flag were entitled American brats. I witnessed two middle school boys, ride skateboards in front of the crowd at a football game, during the national anthem. One also hoisted the bird and said, "F___ America!" I hope something was done about it.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 30, 2022

Personal anecdote time...
    When I was in high school, I was thrown out of an English class for simply standing respectfully and saying nothing. That teacher wouldn't even let me collect my things. Instead of going to the office, I went straight to my History teacher, who roared, "Barnette v. West Virginia!" He flew from the room and came back in ten minutes with my things and a snarl. He gave that teacher a major "what-for".
    The next week, I advanced a motion through Student Council to remind faculty and staff of this student right. It was passed unanimously and enforced by the principal. My History teacher happily wrote one of my recommendation letters for college. I went to another English teacher for the other.

7. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Sep 30, 2022

I could not ever imagine another teacher coming to see me, giving me a tongue lashing, and challenging my decision in my room. This is stuff you only see in movies. I doubt he stood on his soapbox. He just told you that for effect. If he did, it was wrong for him to come back and brag to a student that he gave another teacher "the business". I bet he just went to that teacher's room and kindly asked if he could get your things.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 1, 2022

Oh, you didn't know Mr. Stefanisko...