Yep! Stood up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crosscountryski, Jul 3, 2009.

1. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Hi

A principal called me on Monday/Tuesday and asked me if I was available for an interview on Friday (today). It was a job that is supposed to start in less than 2 weeks. I was very willing to relocate half-way across the state and be ready to start contract. He appeared pleased with that and offered to do an interview when he gets back in town. Well, he never even called to do the interview today. I waited all day and no call. I even left a message on his cell phone, no call back..

Now, if he calls me on Monday, I am not sure I can take it. I am looking at less than a week and half to move. If I was offered the job, I was going to go over there on Sunday, stay for a couple nights, look for apartments, and get back to my apartment to start packing.

I get to the point that I don't know who to trust. When you say you are going to do something, do it. In this job hunt, people say they are going to call and don't.

Thanks

Jennifer

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2009

:hugs: That really stinks. I'm sorry. I hope something else comes your way soon!!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 3, 2009

Jennifer,
    I'm sorry that happened to you. When I was interviewing, I had a principal set up an interview between Christmas and New Year's. I explained to him that I was out-of-town, but I agreed to come back (a 6 hour drive and a total loss of my New Year's Eve plans) to do the interview. We scheduled a time and a date.

I drove the 6 hours -- leaving at 4am. I got there -- and he wasn't even at work that day! His secretary rolled her eyes at me when I said I was there for an interview and said "Oh he isn't even coming in today." At first I thought I misheard her. Then I thought maybe some horrible thing had happened -- an emergency. Nope -- he just got a chance to travel over New Year's and left early. I was shocked and a bit upset. She said "Well, he'll probably be back next week. Call him then to reschedule." You could tell this was not an uncommon occurence.

I gave up my New Year's Eve plans, drove 6 hours, etc. etc. to meet him because he said this was the only time he could do the interview and it was so urgent (they needed someone for the day school started back after New Years!) and I dropped everything and went, and then he didn't even bother to show up!

I made sure I let the head of human resources know that I was not pleased! I certainly knew I didn't want to "reschedule" that interview. There is no way I wanted to work for that jerk!

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

Wow! I can't imagine getting stood up. I'm so sorry, that is horrible.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

if a principal can't be professional and dependable - how can that principal expect it of the teachers.

7. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 4, 2009

Well that is PROBABLY NOT a principal that you want to work for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2009

Exactly!

I figured I dodged a bullet. I learned right up front that this wasn't someone I wanted to work for.

9. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 4, 2009

I've been stood up on dates before, but never for an interview. To me, that is far worse than being stood up on a date. I'll echo what others have already said, you probably wouldn't really want to work for that person anyway.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2009

Did he say specifically that he would be back Thursday and call Friday??

It's not possible that his trip was extended, or that something else came up? His kid got stitches, his wife had a car accident, his mom fell and broke her toe, the transmission on his car died? Any of those things, or millions more, would place calling a teaching candidate way down on my list or priorities.

11. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 4, 2009

As a Principal he should have kept his word or at least given you a call. I'm not sure that you would want to work for someone like that because as my Mom always said "Your Word Is Your Bond."

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2009

:hugs: I'm sorry this happened to you. But like others have said, you probably don't want to work for a principal who is not professional.

Rain~That's horrible!!

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

I am sorry that happened and I am going to have to agree with Alice. Before you make a judgment, you should make sure that he did not have an emergency. Then if it was not a warranted emergency then don't work for him.

14. crosscountryski

Jul 4, 2009

Hi

He specificially said that he was flying back on Thursday and would do an interview on Friday.

If it was truely an emergency, he could have returned my call from his cell phone sometime on Friday. I left a message on his cell phone. I would expect it him to return. It takes less than 1 minute. I would not want to work for someone who can't keep his word. I guess that I dodge a bullet.

The sad thing is that I wanted this job. Even if he comes back on Monday, I am not sure I can drive up there (8hrs), find apartment, sign paperwork, drive back to my apartment (another 8 hrs), pack my stuff up, fly dad to my town, rent truck, load truck, drive back up to the new town and be ready to start contract in 8 days. I guess I should thrown in the towel and consider it another lost job.

thanks
    Jennifer

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

Playing devil's advocate and in no way condoning the principal's behavior, but maybe for this school, Friday was a holiday and the office was closed. Since the principal didn't go into work, he/she didn't have the opportunity to check calendar for appointments/interviews.

Not exactly an excuse, but maybe a reason???

Regardless of the reason or excuse, I am so sorry :( No one deserves that kind of treatment.

I hope you hear from the principal on Monday with an apology, and a great opportunity to show your ability to be flexible and roll with the punches - a great quality for teachers.

Good Luck

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

YIKES - sorry crosscountry - we were posting at the same time.

Now my answer really doesn't make sense - except my last two sentences :)

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 4, 2009

They may hire you with a late start date and get a sub until you can be there. I have seen districts do that in the past.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 4, 2009

Actually my own boss didn't make a job decision until a week after she said she would. I assume that will happen so I was fine with it. These things can't be held in strict timelines. Four years ago I had to drive an hour away to use a video phone 4 times before the actual interview was able to take place. They kept rescheduling at the last minute because they couldn't get enough people together. Ironically the fact that I responded to their email so fast each and every time they emailed me even though it wasn't a pager or cell phone email came up in the interview and I just smiled and told them I was waiting for their response because I sincerely want the job. Rainstorm's story though takes the cake.

As far as starting on time, they could get a sub the first few days until you can get there. That's what happened for me 4 years ago.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 4, 2009

Yikes! Sorry this happened. Go have a 4th of July drink on me!

20. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jul 4, 2009

Its possible that u could make the move even if offered the job on Monday! I would think that he didn't realize that Friday wasn't a work day or something...given how hard it is to find a job right now, just take a deep breath and roll with the punches. Good luck to you- I'm sure he'll call on Monday.

21. crosscountryski

Jul 4, 2009

Hi

I have thought about that. I am going to wait and see what happens on Monday. It is going to be cutting it so close.

thanks
    jennifer

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2009

If it was truly an emergency, you were the last thing on his mind.

I remember when my father in law had open heart surgery. We would drop mom off from the hospital each night to find 2 dozen phone calls, all asking how he was doing. So she had to spend an extra hour or 2, instead of going to bed, on the phone. (No, of course I would not have done that, but she did.)

Are you seriously saying that a phone call on Wednesday or Thursday would be too late for you to accept this job???

23. crosscountryski

Jul 4, 2009

Hi

Yes, especially when the job starts in mid-July. If they called me this coming Wed/Thurs, I would have less than 4-5 days to get apartment, sign contract, come back to my apartment, pack up, fly dad in, and load up truck, and move. I would need to report that following Tuesday. The town that I would be moving to is about 8 hours north of where I currently live. There is no way that I can drive up there and back in 1 day. That drive through the desert is brutal, let alone dangerous.

I highly doubt it is an emergency. The real test is if he calls me on Monday. If not, then I know that he stood me up.

Thanks
    Jennifer

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

I believe the OP said that the job would start shortly, giving eight days to be able to pack up and move to another part of the country... including finding an apartment to stay in.

If I did hear from the principal, I would request, as someone else had suggested, that there be a sub for a week or so in order to give you time to get settled. I think that would be perfectly reasonable.

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 4, 2009

I can plainly see the stress in your posts but I have one very important question. What is the alternative? Do you have a job lined up if you decline this one?

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

Also aren't you trying to overcome some bad evaluations by your past principal? This may be your chance to show how good you are. If he does want to interview, I would still go for it and then bust my butt trying to get moved even if you have to maybe stay in a hotel until you can get a weekend to drive your stuff down.

27. crosscountryski

Jul 5, 2009

Hi

yes, I am trying to overcome some bad evaluations so if this job was offered, I would accept it eventhough it would be a crazy couple weeks.. I am thinking that I would go up and spend the first couple orientation days in a hotel, then go back to my old apartment, pack up and move everything back up there. It would be crazy, but possible.

Like I have said in my other post, if this is meant to happen, then I will be up there. I believe things happen for a reason and if I am offered a job, then it is meant to be.

thanks,
    Jennifer

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 5, 2009

:atoz_love:Best of luck Jennifer. If you are willing to go through all of this, you deserve a teaching position. I am rooting for you!

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Best of luck--we are all rooting for you.

30. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Good Luck!!

31. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

Look on the bright side. If you are offered this job, you will have a big adventure ahead of you.

32. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 6, 2009

I can totally understand how you are feeling right now! It really stinks to feel "left in the dark," especially when it seemed liked such a great opportunity. I see in your last post you seem a lot more positive about being able to do it under pressure, and YOU CAN. It would be incredibly stressful, but you can do it. Last summer I moved into a new house in a new town, got married, and started a new job all within a week. Very different circumstances than you, but still stressful!!! But it was SO worth it! I was discombombulated until seriously like Christmas Break, but in the end everything worked out and I love my new school! If this job is meant to be yours, YOU will make it happen!!! Good luck and I really hope he calls today!

33. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I agree, you can do this if you get the job! My parents went for interviews (a long time ago) four hours away from where they were living. The principals hired them on the spot, but they had 1 week before school started. They packed work clothes for a week, enough supplies for a toddler (me :)), and drove down. They were able to stay with family for a week, but if they hadn't, they would have gotten a hotel. They finished packing and loading and moving that weekend after the first week of school. It's hard, but doable.

As far as standing you up, hopefully he does have an excuse.

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

Did you hear anything today crosscountry??

35. crosscountryski

Jul 6, 2009

Hi

No, haven't heard anything. I suspect that I was stood up. How rude! I am not sure I want to work for this principal if he can do this.

thanks

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

That is very rude; I was hoping he would call today.

37. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

Like you said, if it was meant to be, it will happen. The only thing I can think of after everyone's posts is that if the interview is very far away, you can call first and confirm the time and let them know you are on your way, and you are driving from X hours away.
    Just a thought. It might lessen the chances of being stood up.

38. crosscountryski

Jul 7, 2009

Hi

Well, the interview was supposed to be done over the phone. I get to the point where I am tired of being excited over a job, it never pans out.

Jennifer

39. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I hate when people in power show so little regard for other's situation.

40. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

Would it not be nice to write a note to all the jerks that were not willing to give you a chance, that stood you up, that showed little interest and say, something like:

"Dear Mr./Mrs. Jerk,

Just wanted to let you know that I found a wonderful teaching position in a wonderful school where teachers are valued. The principal took a chance on me at the beginning of this school year. I have worked exceedingly hard and have completed my first year with flying colors. The principal and parents in my class are thrilled with the progress that the children have made. It is a shame that you were so short sighted and could not see that I would have made a wonderful addition to your faculty. In retrospect, I realize that it probably would not have worked for me in the long run. You see, I need a leader with a vision. I need someone that is willing to nurture the professional teacher that I aspire to become. I wish you all the luck in the world. By the way, I hear you are losing a lot of faculty this year. Could it be your leadership skills are somewhat lacking? I can only guess. Have a great day!" :)
    Sincerely,
    Miss HaveAJob

Gee, what I would give to be able to send that to a few of these administrators. Not that we ever would - not that we ever could. You just never know WHO you will need in the future.

All the best. We are rooting for you all!:yeahthat:

41. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

I have gotten to do something similar.

Three years ago I applied for a job, had an interview, got called with your were our second choice. It was my favorite grade and four blocks from my house I was disappointed.

Later I was working with a student in an after school program. His mother informed me that he was no longer welcome at school unless she went and sat with him. I was shocked this sweet little boy, who yes has problems, but it is that he defends his friends, and he will get in a fight if he thinks it is needed. So, the mother is crying because she has 6 kids, and can not go, so she believes her child now can not go to school (mind you first grade child).

When I ask what school she says the one that I had interviewed at. I was happy to go into the class sit with him for a few hours and then stop by the Principal's to explain that I had to come in to help his teacher control a student (he recognized me). I of course also went into the fact that the child would be back, with out an adult, and that they may want to look into an IEP before they try to kick a kid out of school.