Yellow nails...from nail polish

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Jun 14, 2009.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

I was going to ask a question on here, about yellow nails. But instead I did a yahoo search first...and I found a helpful tip (maybe you guys can tell me if it really works!)...that I thought I'd share...

I had wondered why my nails sometimes look a little yellowed after taking off nail polish...and this was the answer I read:

"Red, burgundy, and brown-based polishes contain dark pigments that can leave behind a yellow stain on nails, especially if you skip a protective base coat, says Mona Monaghan, senior vice president and general manager of Sally Hansen Group. To lighten your nasty-looking nails, pour three capfuls of hydrogen peroxide into one-third cup of water and soak your fingers for two minutes. Then dip a toothbrush into the solution and brush your talons for a superclean finish. Next, massage both cuticles and nails with a cuticle oil that contains vitamin E. Wait two minutes, then completely remove the oil with a nonacetone polish remover. Prevent those unsightly stains from recurring by applying a moisture-locking base coat before you paint your pointers again. Try Sally Hansen Teflon Tuff Base & Top Coat, $3.49."

Problem is, I last used a pinkish beige color! But maybe the same thing could happen? I don't know. Anyway, I always skip the "base coat" application, because I figure...it's just another layer that I have to wait to dry! But it seems that it's actually worth applying to your nails!

3. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

I've always heard that they can discolor from being covered by polish too much----like they can't breathe or something. That might not be true, but it's what I've heard.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

Better quality polishes shouldn't leave a stain. I use Chanel polishes and usually wear blacks, blues, dark purples etc, and I have never had an issue. I usually use a base coat, but sometimes I am lazy. The polish will last longer if you use base/top coats.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

Well, I'm new to this whole nail polish stuff. I am a nail biter, and only for the past year have I stopped. I know, nasty habit...my husband helped me stop though!

So I rarely paint my nails, I would say maybe once every couple months and I only have it on for a max of 1 or 2 weeks. I have also heard about letting your nails "breathe", but in my case, I think they have plenty of time to breathe! :)

Some polishes I use are higher end, like the MAC polishes, but then I use OPI as well and I think those are more like what $5-6 a bottle? They're all my sisters' polishes, so I juse use what's there!

Maybe I'll have to invest in some better polishes now that I'm a nail painter, not a nail biter!! :)

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

I mine look yellowish if I use red polishes with no base coat. I have no problem if I use a base coat or use other colored polishes. I would think the peroxide would work. I've squirted Tilex on my nails (gasp!) and brushed them and got great results.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2009

Sally Beauty has a product called Nail Bright peroxide whitening gel. It goes on just like clear nail polish, and with one coat it makes your nails very white again without making them brittle.

Nail Bright Gel

I never paint my fingernails since they naturally look like I have a French manicure, but they do sometimes look a little yellow, so I use the brightening gel on them.

8. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jun 14, 2009

you know, i've heard that it's sun exposure shining through our nail polish that yellows them, so you're supposed to find nail polish w/spf in it. :-O

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

which is odd b/c my nails get nice and white in the sun with no polish on them.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jun 15, 2009

really lem? my nails are rarely without polish

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

toe nails polished, fingernails more often naked than polished. I just don't like fake nails for me either. I think they are really nice looking but I hurt myself when I have them and I don't like it.

12. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

My toes always get a yellowish tint when I take the polish off. I do use cheap polish and don't use any base coat so I'm sure that's my problem. I just let them "breathe" for a week or 2. I don't like painting my nails. It chips way too fast. Even if I get it done professionally.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

ALWAYS USE A BASE COAT!!! No MATTER WHAT!

14. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Yeah base coats dry a lot faster than regular nail polish

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

Keep that in mind next time I go to the store...nail whitening gel and base coat.

Is that whitening gel, safe?

16. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Using base and top coats protect your nails from getting damaged and they make your polish last longer. Also with polish you get what you pay for. OPI is the best at long lasting polish. :)

17. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 5, 2009

I had nice medium length nails until about 2 weeks ago. I used nail polish remover (that I have used before) on them and then used a new bottle of OPI nail polish on them. Then they chipped and flaked off, every one of them. What caused that? - the polish remover or the new polish?

18. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jul 5, 2009

I read an article in a magazine this weekend that said to twist your fingers in lemons/lemon juice to get rid of the stain.