Yelling at students :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Apr 30, 2014

I feel horrible...today my class would just not settle down and listen. I tried many tactics such as waiting, light flickering and ringing a bell. I yelled at them. I never raised my voice at my students before. Of course, it was the worst time for this to happen, my principal walked right by! He asked if I needed to step out for a break... :( then wrote me an e-mail saying how unnacceptable yelling is and to try other ways to gain attention... I did try...I just got frustrated. :(

3. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Apr 30, 2014

Sorry to hear that...not all principals would agree. There have been times where my principal busted in my room yelling at them because he thought they were out of control when I thought they were fine. I don't have to raise my voice often, but when I do the kids know it's not time to joke around anymore. Recently what I've started doing it writing everyones name on the board and telling them they all have no recess. It is their job to get their name off of that list by showing great behavior. I swear that I have barely had any problems since I started doing that 4 weeks ago! Also, on the board it is simply called "The List" so none of my co workers know what it's for so it keeps some privacy for the students if anyone walks in and sees it.

4. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Apr 30, 2014

My class was crazy too today. I think there's something in the air. I'm hs science, so it's a lot different than pre-k, but I had to take measures I normally don't take today. I wrote one student up cuz when I asked her and her friend to be quiet (after I had already assigned them a detention) she relplied "ok- g** d***" as if I was annoying her by interrupting her conversation. She's normally not like that, but man o man did that ever get to me. I had another student in the same class that wanted to argue his detention- thankfully with a better word choice. But he ended up in another room until a group that was presenting had finished their presentation. Normally this is an excellent group of kids. Idk what in the world was going on today. Anyway- here's hoping to a better day tomorrow!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

[poop] happens sometimes. I don't yell at my class often... usually not more than twice a year... but it can be effective, as long as it's controlled.

6. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Apr 30, 2014

Haha, what?

Yelling is unacceptable? Okay, I get it, you teach Kindergarteners, but still. I yell at least once a week (but then again I teach middle school). I never want to yell, but it happens and I'm not a bad/mean teacher and neither are you! When I was student teaching, my master teacher used to encourage me to yell more often!

The key is not to go crazy so it seems like you need to step out to take a break. If you need to yell, you need to be able to say to yourself, "This is crazy, I am not mad or scared because I can control this s*** show, but I need to assert some authority now."

This is what I do: I usually yell 1 word, like "HEY!!!" in a really loud scary voice and then start whispering. That freaks them out and refocuses them.

As far as other ways to get their attention, you could try ringing a bell and then making a peace sign for them to be quiet. They need to look at you and make the peace sign, too. Practice that like 50 times with them tomorrow -- make a game of it and thank students who are giving you their attention/making the peace sign.

There is an elementary school teacher next to my classroom and she says "1, 2, 3" and the kids say, "eyes on you" or something weird. I don't like that because it requires the kids to make sound at the exact moment you want them to be quiet.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 30, 2014

LITERALLY the same thing happened to me today.....how dare you curse at me like I am the one bother you?

I am struggling with these 7th graders at the end of the year. It's not EVEN the end of the year. :(

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

Yelling is definitely not good because it probably frightens young children (I don't know, I teach high school, so I'm out of touch lol), but middle and high school students will see it as a sign of weakness, that they finally got to you.
    And as an educator, you will be looked down on by parents and admin.

What is best is to learn to project your voice. I really can't tell how to do it but after awhile I learned it, it's when you're not yelling, you're not even really raising your voice, but everyone can hear you, even over all the talk.
    that way you get their attention, you sound like you mean business, but you're not yelling.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2014

A Big Teacher Voice is usually enough...if its not, start handing out consequences....yelling is usually an indication you've lost control.:sorry:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 30, 2014

Agreed. I sometimes raise my voice but only when we're doing a loud activity and I need to get attention, and never emotionally. It's just a simple "Okay guys, can I have your attention up here!" spoken in a loud tone.

Yesterday however I DID lose some emotional control, (first time really this entire year) where the kids were being REALLY rude during another students' presentation, and the poor girl was struggling. I stopped everything and "lost it" which in my terms still didn't mean yelling, but I lectured them and threatened them and came down way too harshly on a student who was pressing buttons. Something which I pretty much NEVER do. I felt horrible later because I knew I had lost control. The kids were so shocked that there were no problems for the remainder of the day, but I resolved to not let it happen again for the rest of the year.

Normally if I lose it, and I will apologize to the students, we will review our procedures and rules, and start over from the beginning. This time however, I think most all of the students understood that I was doing it to protect another student or they just didn't realize that I had lost emotional control because they get lectured and yelled at by most teachers, so I just came in today my usual self perhaps a bit sterner in my management and a little less cheerful than usual, and everything went along as normal.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2014

A small mistake that I am sure nearly all of us have made. I am sure your principal has heard many teachers do it as well. I am glad to hear you don't yell much. Please, please don't beat yourself up about this. Go back tomorrow and have a great day.

12. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 30, 2014

Everyone loses control once in a while. It happens to even the best, most experienced teachers. While it's never ideal, we are humans and we experience emotions too. Sometimes it's too much. As long as it's not always, I think you're okay.

13. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 1, 2014

My students will sometimes ask me why I'm yelling and I'll tell them I'm not, just projecting my voice to make sure they can all hear me.

the whole talking in a soft voice doesn't really work for me because no one can hear me even when they are standing next to me.

I think we all have to learn voice/volume control.

I've found that with the little kids you can praise the ones doing right (sitting quietly) and the other kids want praise too so they fall in line. Also you can say the first table to get quiet wins a prize and hand out a small reward. that normally gets their attention. then when they ask why they didn't get a prize, you can encourage them to work with their tablemates and be better listeners and follow instructions quickly.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes. I've made a ton. I hope that the students learn something from being in my class but I go home knowing I've tried my best. Best of luck :)

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 1, 2014

All this proves is you are human. We all reach a breaking point and this time of the year is when it happens to the best of us. Working outside all the time I have to yell because my kids may be up to 100 yard away running in some activities. If you never or rarely yell it lets them know right away you are serious.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 1, 2014

It happens to the best of us!

Move on and learn from it.

16. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

May 1, 2014

I'm only a sub. so I've never yelled at a class before, but when I was student teaching my mentor teacher would flip out on them sometimes. I thought it was completely unprofessional when she did. She's retiring this year and flat out told me that she just doesn't have the patience anymore and she feels bad. She also did something another poster on here mentioned. She would write their names on the board under the word 'detention.' A kid went home and told his parents that having his name on the board made him feel ashamed and worthless. The principal told my mentor teacher that she was no longer allowed to do that.

I have lost my cool though. I was subbing and two boys, lingering at the door before the bell rings, kept stepping out to grab snow and throw it at people. I tried all my techniques. A verbal warning, mentioning that I was going to leave a note, using my teacher voice , and finally calling the office. It didn't matter -- I was just a sub. The front office said the bell rang so it didn't matter. Let them go to their next class. The next class I had I came down on. They were not allowed to make a peep. I moved kids to it in front of my desk. It was completely unfair of me. I was just on a power trip from feeling so disrespected by those two boys. It was the first time I had let a students behavior get to me.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 1, 2014

Here's a question.

The class is lining up. A first grader decides she is too cool to stand in line, so she starts running around in circles. You call her name three times. She ignores you.

Or you are walking in line. You get within sight of the cafeteria. A first grader breaks off and starts running. Three others follow suit. You know that if you don't stop them, the rest of the class will stampede.

In those two situations, how do you not yell? Seriously.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

May 1, 2014

There is always disagreements in discussion pertaining to "yelling" because different people have different views about what constitutes "yelling". Is yelling just raising your voice or shouting to a student to stop? Or is yelling a tone and attitude that comes with what is being said or how it is being said regardless of how loud those words are spoken?

This is one of those words that although there is a dictionary definition, the word takes on subtle meaning between different people. That is why a child may say the teacher yelled at him when no voice was raised. Yelling to that child may mean reprimanding or worse humiliating. It may have nothing to do with the level of the voice. Others will consider a shout yelling.

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 1, 2014

This has been my thought while reading this thread. Have I raised my voice to get their attention in some way if it's loud? Yes, absolutely. Do I think that's wrong? Nope.

However, I think the intent behind the yelling is what matters. If I'm yelling because I'm angry and my goal is to shame a child, then I think that's crossing the line. If I'm getting their attention, or even trying to show that I am frustrated or being stern, I think that is a different situation.

20. a2z

a2z Maven

May 1, 2014

The thing is, people can get so used to saying certain things in certain ways that they may not be angry but still be what would consider yelling. I also think raising your voice in frustration can also be yelling.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

Drama, did anything come from you cussing at a student? I'm surprised I've not let one slip over the years. :)

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 1, 2014

In situation #1 I would tell her to stop and then I would start listing all the consequences that I am going to enforce.

In situation #2 I would yell for the children to stop and then bring them back to practice the right way. That's different than shouting angrily at a child about their behavior.

23. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 1, 2014

if a student is humiliating or disrespecting others, they should feel ashamed. If a student hits or hurts another student they should by yelled at to stop.

I don't see anyone calming saying "please stop beating Jimmy with that stick."

I'd say "STOP!" and then take the stick. Then I would try and install a sense of shame for what he was doing. I think that shame is healthy and will teach them to respect others and recognize when they are doing something WRONG.

24. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 1, 2014

I get so tired of people claiming what great educators they are by claiming that they never raise their voices...their kids are trained...yakety yak.

Our principal is always hollering at kids. Sometimes it's the only way to catch their attention or be heard over the noise if they're not responding to your regular attention signals. I'm going through that right now. My first graders got back from Spring Break and I got zero response to the signals we'd been using since September. 90% of them just carried on their conversations and ignored me.

I think if you yell all the time, they just tune you out, but if you're doing it to jar them into paying attention when they're off the rails, it can work, kind of like blowing your playground whistle in the classroom.

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

The problem is that she doesn't hear a word you say because she's running around out of line. Three other kids have followed her and its now turned into a game of tag.

That's what I do. Walking in line, if I go in behind them, they will run to get to the cafeteria first. If I walk in front of them, my back will be to them and they will start misbehaving. I refuse to walk backwards due to safety reasons.

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 3, 2014

I have one period that is on the verge of trying to get out of control. This class started out like angels in January, for 4-5 weeks, then went downhill and became pretty bad for a couple of days (their low point), straightened up, and they've been up and down. Now they're spiraling downward.
    My problem is that about 5-6 students, I actually have a good relationship with each one, and they're just low level problems, like talking, ignoring redirection, etc (not cussing me out, acting stupid, etc), they get together and make up almost half of the class.
    It's frustrating, but I know yelling won't help. At times I yelled really loud "hey", so they can hear me, to get their attention, but yelling AT them will do no good. They will just see that I'm frustrated and that is funny for them. They get yelled at all the time at home, it doesn't hurt, so they don't care. I moved some of their seats, it didn't work. I'm thinking about rearranging most of them.
    I'm actually brainstorming of what to do. but I'm at a loss. A couple of times I rewarded the few students who were doing the right thing, I talked to a couple of the trouble makers (I think that's the way to go), gave out detentions, but it's still not good enough.
    I kicked out one student for cussing me out (he's out of control everywhere), but that didn't help. Normally that send the message, but these kids have the mob mentality when they get together.

The only things I can see that will do any good:
    - detention and they will spend it with me in silence during lunch
    - calling home (this will help with some, and I already started it)
    - rewarding the good students

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 3, 2014

I think there is a difference between yelling to get someone's attention and prolonged yelling/screaming over a behavior. I have found that teachers who consistently yell look like they have lost control, and it doesn't work with the students. I've posted about this before, but when I worked in a k-8 I worked with a middle school teacher who literally would yell, shake her fists, and stomp her feet constantly. Even I wanted to laugh when I observed it. My 2nd graders saw her doing this during a fire drill once and they all started giggling because she looked ridiculous. Yet she thought she was the only one being "strict" and that everyone else didn't know how to deal with behavior.

I also find that you can't always believe a kid who says that their teacher/parent/whoever "yelled" at them. A great majority of kids use "yelling" when they really mean the teacher said something they didn't like. I hear it ALL of the time. For example, the teacher or parent will say in a completely normal tone of voice, "Tony, I already told you to clean up. Put the markers away." The kid will then say, "STOP YELLING AT ME!"

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 3, 2014

I agree with someone mentioned before...big difference in hollering to be heard or snap kids back to attention and yelling AT people. I would never yell AT students.

29. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 3, 2014

The most effective "yelling" I have ever done have been in my quietest voice with my meanest face. Students know when they have gone too far.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 3, 2014

One important part though, is that when you're "instilling a sense of shame" it's a lot less effective if you're doing that while yelling. It's best to do that in a calm tone, otherwise the student will realize that you've lost control of your emotions and is less likely to respect your words.

31. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

Most of my yelling these days takes the form of (student name) followed by "NO!!" when they are about to run off, or do something very dangerous or inappropriate.