Yearbook Fundraising Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Strick, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jun 2, 2014

Hi all.

I've started a yearbook at my teeny-tiny school (seriously, we have like just over 100 students). I've been trying to brainstorm some kind of fundraising ideas. The more funds I get throughout the year, the less the yearbooks will cost the students. (We are a low-income school, so the lower the cost, the more we can sell. I'm in this to have the kids something awesome, not to make money for later use. If I can make them all free, that would be awesome, but, alas, it is not a perfect world.)

So far I have come up with...

• Hat Day (Pay $1 to wear a hat)
    • Candy Cane Grams
    • Beauty Pageant
    • Womanless beauty pageant
    • Pumpkin decorating contest (then auction off pumpkins)
    • Guess how much candy is in the jar
    • Teacher pie in the face (teacher with most money gets the pie in face)

Anyone else think of anything else? I can't sell snacks or anything else that interferes with the school's fundraising (so no selling snacks, pencils/supplies, candy, etc.) We are also a K-8 school, so not all stuff could be done with the younger grades, and vice versa.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2014

Personally, I would not enjoy the pie in the face contest. But, you might have someone at your school who might be willing.

If you wear uniforms, you could have one day a month where students could pay a dollar to dress down.

Crazy sock day

I'll keep thinking.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

how about selling ads in the community?

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 3, 2014

I graduated from a very small school and selling ads was our main source of $$$ for the yearbook. I was in charge of contacting all the local businesses and asking them to sponsor an ad in the yearbook. We offered different sized ads to for different prices and many would also include a 'congratulations' message to the grads (we were a K-12 school).

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 3, 2014

I was the yearbook sponsor at my school for many years, and like Miss Scimmage said, we made our money selling community ads and "vanity" ads to seniors.

Are you doing a traditional, hard bound book, or are you doing something with a soft cover?

7. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 3, 2014

I know that this is not necessarily a fundraising idea, but have you checked out www.treering.com ? They are a low cost, really user friendly yearbook company. They even include two customizable pages for the families to create for free (and they can create these pages before even paying for the book, so it increases the desire to buy the yearbook). I definitely reccomend checking it out. Another awesome thing about it is that the school is never on the line for any unsold yearbooks like you might be with a company like Jostens or Lifetouch.

As far as fundraising goes, I echo the above YB sponsors in saying that ads are definitely a good option. Another might be incentives for the staff to donate to the YB fund (since being at a low income school asking for the students to donate might not be too successful). I know my coworkers and I don't mind paying a dollar to wear jeans for a day!

8. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Jun 3, 2014

Maybe a talent show. Charge for tickets, or for concessions.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 3, 2014

This year they sold ornaments that you could send a picture and they would put it in a clear ball so you could see the picture from both sides. They made a killing off it.

10. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jun 9, 2014

These sound like some great ideas!

We are doing the general business ads, as well as the 8th grade "We love you so much, love momma, daddy, and honey boo boo" ads (K-8 school). We are doing a hardback version through shutterfly (I'll check out the treering as well).

I've thought of ornaments. That would be good. And trust me, I have plenty willing to do the pie in the face.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2014

The journalism advisor, when I was in high school, was a Diet Pepsi fan with a soft spot for dill pickles. For a school event outside school hours at which refreshments were appropriate, she got hold of soda-dispensing equipment from Pepsi and we sold sodas and pickles. We did rather well, as I recall.

What about selling coffee and baked goods or munchies for, say, Back to School night or some other occasion when parents are on the premises?

What about making up a book of discount coupons for local businesses?

12. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

Thing with sodas, I can't take away from the break room sales, so that's out. Coffee and baked goods would be great if we even had a good turn out for a parent teacher night.

Discount coupons would be hard to do that since we are in a VERY rural area (nearest gas station is 20 miles away).

I've been thinking about the Little Caesar's Pizza kits. Has anyone used them?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2014

The soda-and-pickle story was meant to get you thinking outside the scheduled school day. Are there any outside-school-hours school events at which you could sell things? What about community events? Would a local church let you sell baked goods etc. at coffee hour?

What about selling (for instance) coupons for babysitting, house cleaning, yardwork, or some other smallish services that students could reasonably perform?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 10, 2014

The yearbook ads are a good idea. I always see our local high school do car washes. That could probably be done only by the older grades but I think they make quite a bit of money.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2014

I keep forgetting to ask how old these students are. If some are old enough to drive, what about making up back-to-school kits (ask the elementary teachers over the summer what their supply lists are) to sell to families at the beginning of the school year? That might not step on the toes of the other fundraisers. What about a pancake breakfast on a Saturday morning?

Is there some convenience item that people in the community grumble about having to drive in order to buy?

Are there other activities at school that need to raise money? If so, what if you all collaborated on something like a carnival? (At a small elementary school that I attended, the PTA ran a carnival every year just before Halloween. There were booths with assorted small-scale carnival games, and the PTA sold confetti eggs (emptied eggshells washed and stuffed with confetti so kids could smash 'em on each other's heads).

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 10, 2014

I would stay far away from any pie-in-the-face fundraisers. At my former site, our principal's face got scraped by a pie tin! It was bad!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 10, 2014

We did this a few months ago. Huuuuuuuuge hit and we earned a ton of $$$ for field trips! :thumb:

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2014

Spaghetti or lasagna dinner?

Steak dinner for parents (or some other adult-friendly meal) combined with pizza party and activities for their kids?

A community potluck with a dollar or two admission per head? That could work very well in a low-income area.

An ice-cream social?

19. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've definitely got a lot of ideas ready to go for the year!

20. prealgebra-nerd

prealgebra-nerd Rookie

May 12, 2015

These are some great fundraising ideas! The most successful event for us has been a car wash. We tried bigger ideas like a mini-carnival, but they got too expensive to put-on, and we didn't net much in the end. Car washes on require $20 in supplies, some creative signage displayed on the nearby road, an energetic workforce, and you're good to go!

PS: I've used Fundraising Bridge as a resource in the past - but it looks like they're re-doing their website right now... good bookmark for future use.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out! I'm on the fundraising planning committee and we're currently brainstorming ideas for next fall. We're leading towards the product selling route to switch things up.