yearbook advisor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by puff5655, Aug 31, 2010.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Aug 31, 2010

I've taken on this duty this year and don't have any experience, but I am good with photography and photobook creation software.

Those of you who have done this (or at least have looked at school yearbooks), what company did your school use in the design/what software programs? What were the pros/cons of that program?

Last year our school used Purnell, but at $30 a copy to produce (and being a Title I school where kids can't afford to pay for them) it's too expensive. We're looking for something cheaper.

Thanks for your input.

Sarah

3. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 31, 2010

I'm the yearbook and newspaper adviser for my school. We use Taylor Publishing and to create our pages we use Adobe InDesign, which the school purchases for us. Taylor also provides an online creation software called StudioWorks which is MUCH cheaper and is comparable in its functions and capabilities.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

4. Mrs. H2O

Mrs. H2O Rookie

Apr 23, 2013

I designed the middle school yearbook for the district I taught at last year, and have been asked to be the middle school yearbook and newspaper adviser for next year at my current school.

I have also worked on both staffs for years during my own school days. We have always used Josten's. My experience with them more than 20 years ago was very positive, and so was my experience last year. They may cost a bit more (just a few hundred dollars difference in bids between them and two other companies this year), but I think they are completely worth it.

You can adjust the cost per book based on how many pages, what special features you will have and how many copies you plan to sell.

FTR, we're a Title I school as well.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

I have been the yearbook advisor ad my high school for about ten years. We have always used Jostens for our publisher. The entire book is created online using their web software. We were reluctant to go to the web platform for years, and now I can't imagine doing it any other way. I would definitely recommend them to any school looking for a new company.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Apr 25, 2013

This was my first year working on yearbook as a co-sponsor and I have to say I love the Jostens platform too. It makes it really easy.

I'm not sure if the price would be any better for you. Ours is around $30.