Yearbook Advisor Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tackysue, Sep 25, 2014.

1. tackysue

tackysue New Member

Sep 25, 2014

I'm a co-teacher for the yearbook at our Homeschool Association. I taught yearbook 15 years ago and things have changed so I need to pick your brains if I can.

My co-teacher is a photographer and is handling the kids doing that bit. She has requested that each photo have a photo credit. My initial reaction was "WHAT? Are you insane?! Do you have any idea how logistically impossible that is? And if the photogs get credit do the page designers or copywriters get credit too? Even for captions? Where is all this supposed to go on our pages!!! Are you for real!?"

Clearly this is not the response I need to give her when we discuss this but I don't know what to do or what is the "right way" to do it.

Any advice?

3. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Sep 26, 2014

If you are using a digital camera with SD cards, then each students needs their on SD card. That way, the cards are switched out whenever a student takes over the camera.

I've taken over yearbook for our school this year, and I was planning on giving photo credit to the photographers in the captions of each photo. Somewhere in the spread, I want to give credit for those who put the spreads together. But we'll see how that works out.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 26, 2014

I've seen it done about 4 different ways:
    1. In the caption (fairly easy)
    2. If photographers are assigned by section, on the divider page starting the section (easier)
    3. If photographers are assigned by spread, somewhere at the bottom of the spread (easy to place on the page, but logistically more difficult to manage in regards to assigning photographers for events. No one wants the chess club page...)
    4. Photographers listed together on the staff page.

My journalism students generally preferred option 1, but one year, instead of adding it to the caption, they put tiny little transparent text boxes in the bottom right of every photo with the photographer's name. It was pretty, but it was difficult to maintain consistency. We had a 288 page book and at least 9 pics per spread! We were photo crazy... Lol

5. tackysue

tackysue New Member

Sep 27, 2014

Thanks everyone.

I googled the heck out of my question and got a few nuggets from the internet and even a few visual samples. It was great to see it in "real life." I'm feeling much better about being able to make it work for the photographers and everyone else working on the spreads without sacrificing design.

I can breathe again! Thanks!:thumb: