Year-Round Schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Apr 3, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 3, 2017

No summer break for me or my students! Is there anyone else who teaches in a school that goes all year? Many of our students are so far behind (we will enroll anyone 14-21), this is the best way to get them to move forward and catch up on their coursework.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 3, 2017

There is a school in my district that is considered year-round. It's for PreK only.
    They have 3-week long breaks in the Fall, winter, and spring, and then 6-week long break in the summer

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    otterpop likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2017

Many schools in my district are year-round, at least for now. Word on the street is that most (all?) of them will covert to traditional 9-month schools soon as a cost-saving measure.

My school isn't year-round, but we do have a third semester option for students. There's an opportunity for students to do credit retrieval in a traditional summer school setting, but we also have a STEM academy. It's pretty cool. I don't teach during the 3rd semester because I like my summers off, but the pay is very, very good.

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 3, 2017

I am glad my district is not year round! I am a bit nervous of this trend as I am from another country (England) and the summer is she time to reconnect with my family and friends back home. I don't think I could live so far away without having that summer break to go back to England.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 3, 2017

We are considered a year round school but basically we go to school 6 weeks then get a week break. We get 7 weeks of summer vacation. But I don't really think of it as a year round school. I just think they understand that at about 6 weeks everyone needs a break!

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 4, 2017

This is relatively similar to show we had it in england growing up. We called it the 6 week holidays in the summer. Then we had week breaks throughout the school year.

mrsammieb likes this.
  8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 4, 2017

I really like it! I've had two breaks before my girlfriend in another state has had even one.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 4, 2017

I'm in a year round school. We have only special education students so we go the regular school year plus a 6 week summer program. We have a 2 week vacation before and after the summer program so at least we get breaks. We also get the standard winter and spring breaks.