Year-Round School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KIF, May 21, 2008.

1. KIF

KIF Companion

May 21, 2008

Advice please....

I'm interviewing for a 2nd grade job in a year-round school. I'm anticipating a question about why I want to work on that type of calendar. Anybody have any suggestions of what I should say.

Yes...I'm nervous, currently a 5th grade math and science teacher interviewing for a 2nd grade ALL SUBJECTS classroom. I did my student teaching 3 years ago in 1st grade, but I've never had my own primary classroom. So any comments or pointers are welcomed! Thanks.

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 21, 2008

I work at a year round school. One reason that I like working at a year round school is because the students have the chance to stay on task and learn the materials and keep it in. I like that my children know their stuff and it just doesn't go away through out the summer. I also give students a track packet to do over their break, it's optional and they enjoy doign it. The students get a small prize if they do their packet. Which they love!

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

May 22, 2008

I love teaching year round. Every time I feel like I'm getting burned out, I get a break! It keeps me fresh, and it's nice for the kids too.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 22, 2008

I want to teach year-round. There is one school in my district (of about 80 schools) that uses a year-round calendar. Same number of days, but like another poster said, the kids don't lose all of their skills over a 3-month hiatus! Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority here!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

I'm usually the minority wherever I go! :rolleyes:

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

Yay Track A, Yay Track A!! (and B, C and D!!!)

Sorry for the hijack...just couldn't resist.

I have seen year round schools in CA. The pointers explained by previous posters are correct. You don't have long breaks where the children are brainwashed, (or brain drained, as the case may be) and you have to start all over. You have a set schedule 10 weeks on , 2 weeks off, and you feel much better as well. Everyone gets Christmas and time for summer too. I say it makes everybody more productive because there is less worrying and concentration on big vacation periods. You know the children have consistent schedule and that makes it easier to stay on task. (less parents taking kids early for family trips!) You appreciate the ability to still have time off with your family, while you reachcritical accomplishments without large gaps breaking up your teaching.

If you want some real brownie points, tell them about how you appreciate how the school and dist. are helping our environment by conserving energy with 10 on 2 off cycles, (which stops the drain on energy used for heat and air) and not standing vacant for long periods of time, so that children and their families must seek other activities to stay cool, like the running the a/c in a house all day. The children in low income areas are guaranteed nutritious meals, and not going without substantial food during breaks. Parents don't have the strain of finding child care for 12 weeks at a time, which causes latchkey children. Less time away from school can cut down on curfew problems, and trouble caused by adolecents without supervision.

8. KIF

KIF Companion

May 23, 2008

Those are all the points that are drawing me towards the school. I love the breaks! They keep me fresh...I also like the idea that my family can take a trip that is not in the summer. And the kids don't lose all those skills over a long break. Priceless!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

ditto...and in light the of current gas prices, latchkey and overweight kids, and chronic absenteeism, and concerns over testing...I vote for it in every state!

our favorite line about why we became teachers is, June, July and August! but seriously, if you live some place that is warm year round, and/or just struggling to make ends meet..like me...don't you want to have a pay check every month???

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

Most of the elementary schools here in Las Vegas are year-round. There are, I think, 5 different "tracks" or schedules, so that the mini-breaks happen at different times and for different lengths of time depending on your track.

I don't think I'd like to teach on a year-round schedule because I really need my 3-month break to wind down, relax, and get ready for the next year. On the other hand, I know lots and lots of people really love the schedule that a year-round school offers.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

I get a paycheck every month, even during the summer months when I don't work. In my district, they divide our salary into 24 paychecks to be distributed throughout the year. I like it that way.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

I had a few places to do that...but it is not always the case...

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 23, 2008

I wish I could be in a year round school. Children don't lose too much knowledge with the small frequent breaks they (and you) get. No more teacher burn out!!

14. lou reed

lou reed Companion

May 25, 2008

I'm in a year-round school right now... I generally like it, but the biggest drawbacks are the tracking off/on days. Every couple of months, you have to tear down your room and put everything away, only to turn around in a couple of weeks and put it all back. with the younger grades, we end up taking the kids of the teachers tracking off and putting on a movie or something, which drives me nuts... I estimate we lose almost two entire weeks of school just by tracking on and off every three weeks!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

I see that alot in the child care centers which are housed inside of churches. That is so aggravating to me! I would lose more stuff and eventually lose my mind! I can't see how people manage tearing down your classroom every Friday, and rebuilding it every Monday. They must share the space with the Sunday school classes! :(

Ideally, the programs with additionally funding keep the same spot, and only tear down the area during summer break or Christmas for a throurough cleaning!

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 25, 2008

We had 26 paychecks until the community started becoming upset that we were getting paid in the summer for not working. They simply didn't understand that 9 months pay was divided 12 months. So the union changed us to 9 months pay or didvided by 26 checks with one large check on the last day to cover the summer.

I love the concept of yer round school. i am unsure if it would happen in WI...no air conditioning at least in my school.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 25, 2008

I don't think I could ever budget my money well enough to make it last throughout the summer. :(

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

yeah...it must be a CA thing...I certainly had a hard time understanding...

classes line up outside
    say Pledge and morning assembly outside
    almost all assemblies and graduation outside
    have recess outside
    have gym outside
    eat lunch outside

what on earth do you do when it rains? "Oh, it hardly ever rains"..

yeah, right!

I learned the hard way..you have...'Rainy Day Schedule'..which meant no prep time for me! :confused:

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

that is the only reason why I am not nervous now...being unemployed...

because I have managed without money for 3 months for so long.. :(

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 26, 2008

Year Round School sounds great, but I can't imagine it in Arizona! May and August are so hot, I couldn't bare June and July!

They have something similar to year round here that a few schools/districts do. They have two week breaks in the fall, winter, and spring, and two months off in the summer instead of three. I would love that! But people don't vote for it.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

you know, we may be the only civilized country that still has 3 solid months off. In Chicago, we start after Labor Day and go until 2nd week in June. In suburbs, we start last week in August and stop by 1st week in June.

Given so many things that are different in our world...and the fact that we don't need kids to work the farms...

I vote for universal year round school!

Of course, I say that because I am unemployed...

and when I do find work, I'll go back to year round Head Start, or at least 10 month program. Preschoolers need that time...but teachers do need a break! :unsure:

22. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

Cassie is 100% right. Our district has the 2 ways and when you do track out, you don't have to take anything down. Some schools may have a rover that will come to your room and use it but you don't take anything down. I got a job at a year round school and I am so excited, it's not the best track but I get like 6 weeks off for christmas :) I like it also because if you don't have much to do for your track breaks you can sub during that time and get paid extra money :) I love extra money

23. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

May 26, 2008

I've had it two ways. My last school had enough classrooms for everyone, so even though we were year round, no one had to switch rooms. That was ideal. But in our district, the whole reason for year-round, is because there are so many kids that we don't have room for all of them. So, every three months, when I track off, I have to pack up my room. Our school is set up really well though. We have pods. So for every 10 classrooms, there is a room that stretches the entire length of the building in between them. It is full of cabinets and workspace so we put all our stuff in there. I don't ever have to take anything home. our principal lets each grade level decide how they want to do it. Some have a "rover," someone who changes rooms every month. That way, for 4 or so years, you get to stay in your own room, and once every 4 years you are the rover. They give you a rolling cabinet and you don't have to do any adjunct duties or crosswalk duties for the year. ;) so it does have it's advantages. My grade level rotates and we all change when we track off, every three months. It works for us, we all work together really well. At the beginning of the year, we put up new bulletin board backings that just stay up all year. That way, we just have to put up our own posters or student work or whatever.

It is hard to keep track of everything, but it has made me a much more organized person. I have learned to start packing early, so when Track change day comes around, I'm not just sweeping everything that is on my desk into a big box. Plus, I have the older kids and they help a lot. Oh and parents are great - I'm getting ready to track off on Friday and had a parent come in and take everything off my walls. She's amazing. :wub:

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 26, 2008

????? I'm sorry to be so dense, but what do you mean by "tracking off?" Why the rover or switching classrooms? I just can't picture it.

25. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

tracking off means going on your track break, or break. A rover is someone that doesn't have a set classroom and just goes to to other teachers classrooms while they are out on their track break. In our school we have 5 4th grade teachers and only 4 fourth grade classrooms. While one teacher is out, the rover goes in that room.

hope that makes sense

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 26, 2008

Maybe? Let's see, it either means that:

A roving teacher enters the classroom to teach his/her subject while the "homeroom" teacher is on his/her planning period/break, or

this roving teacher takes over the classroom while the original teacher has a vacation of sorts?

Honestly, I'm sorry I'm not getting it. I rather think it is the first case, but I guess I'm tripping up on the terminology. :blush:

27. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

You got it!
    Think of it this way. There are 5 teachers and only 4 classrooms available.
    Teacher A Teacher B Teacher C Teacher D Teacher E(the rover)

While teacher A is on her 3 week break, teacher E is in her classroom teaching
    Teacher A returns, Teacher B goes on her 3 week break, teacher E is in that classroom now!
    B returns and C goes on her break, E is in C's classroom. So forth and so on... Get it? I am sorry if it's confusing.
    The school needs 5 teachers for a greade level but they only have space for 4 teachers.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2008

Roving works both ways, pwhatley.

At my school, we are on a regular 9-month schedule, so we don't have any sort of "track break" (those mini-breaks throughout the year when you're on a year-round, 12-month schedule). Our rovers are "homeless" teachers who move from classroom to classroom throughout the day. The rover who shares my room teaches in there during the period when I don't have a class because I'm on my planning/prep period.

At year-round schools, teachers and students go on "track break" at regular intervals. For the sake of example, let's say that one group at the school is in class for three weeks and off for one. During that one "off" week, the classroom would be empty of regular students. Rather than allow it to sit empty, a different class or group of students/teachers uses the room as rovers. They'll switch to a different, available room when the first group returns from their break.

29. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

Ya that's what I was trying to say :) Thanks

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 26, 2008

Okay, so the "homeroom" teacher is actually out of the school on a holiday/break/school vacation? Hmmm, interesting! I am still having problems picturing the full execution of it, but I understand much better now, lol. Thanks, New3rdTeacher!

31. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

your welcome, it's crazy. I know! :) I am actually roving right now. I am in another 4th grade teachers room. I don't like this teacher either so it's weird being in her room

32. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

May 26, 2008

yeah, what they said. :lol:

We work 3 months, off one month (generally). So, I'm D Track and I'm going "off track" on Friday. It also happens to be my last day of school. On Friday, I will empty my room of all my things, and the Track C teacher (who is on vacation until Friday), will move in. He will teach for three months in that classroom until he tracks off again. But when I am ready to come back on, I will be moving into the Track A teacher's room, who will be going off next.

When I said roving, I meant that there is one teacher per grade level who switches classrooms every month. They take the room of whoever is off at the time. They don't switch at different parts of the day.

Oh and at our school, ALL tracks have two weeks off in July to get ready for the new year. That way we can have all the preservice days etc. together.

I'm sure that's probably clear as mud. :haha:

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

oh sure...were are totally confused now!

I was in a school...can't remember what they called it..give me a second...

But there was 4 teachers per grade, and every teacher and their kids moved every period. You took your kids to a different room to teach each subject. You had to erase the board. The books stayed in the room. (Oh yeah, quantum learning!) Each kid took their things in a little plastic box (cubbie) I subbed, and only realized which kids were mine by the color of the box. (the teachers had little carts that they pushed down the hall with their stuff) In the beginning, everyone in the multi purpose room -lunch, recess, gym, then when the bell rings, we are off. Supposedly more free, open for learning, swivel chairs, kids sit on mats, all new stuff. :confused:

The teachers do not have a desk, rather there is one pit for each grade, like a nurses station in that room, they have desks, copier, phone, fax, bathroom, breakroom - no need to see any other grade level or staff ..which is good and bad. but..you can see the kids in the multi purpose room, and the other 4 rooms because it is a big circle...you can see them and they can see you...all day.

I wonder how well that is going... :unsure: