Year long leave replacement salary

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Aug 12, 2011.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

Does anyone know if you're put into a year long leave replacement position what the pay is? I know by me that up until a certain amount of days you get paid per diem and then it switches to a contracted salary, but I am assuming for a year long position you would just get the contracted salary? Also, do they have to pay you as a leave what you're entitled to on the salary scale according to how many credits you have past your degree?

I'm asking because I interviewed for multiple positions within a district this past week, many of them being year long leave replacement positions. Many of the other candidates were excessed from their jobs & in addition to make years experienced, they were receiving top salary based on their degree & credits beyond that. I'm wondering if because I'm a newer teacher I would have an edge over them for the leave replacement positions because for a year the district could save $20,000+ by hiring me.

TIA

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 12, 2011

Around here for a full year position you'd get regular teaching salary from the get-go, no need to do any days as at a sub rate. As far as what steps, each district has their own rules but you are definitely able to start someone at step one even if the person has many years from another district. Then it's up to the person being offered the job to decide if he/she wants the job enough to take the pay cut.

I know with my district if it's a harder to fill position (like physics) they'll usually honor years from another district but if it's a flooded marker (like elementary) they'll start you at step one regardless of years with another district. They know they can easily get someone who'll take the step one and then save money. I also know other districts that prefer 3-5 years experience and will start someone at that steps so they get experienced teachers instead of a newbie. We do regularly hire people with Masters though and don't seem to care about that pay bump.

Good luck to you and hope they decide to offer it to you.

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

When I covered for a year long maternity I was paid full salary & benefits. I was in a different retirement system though.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

In my district you'd still be considered a long-term sub. Subs in my district don't ever get a contracted salary--it's always per diem. Long-term subs get a higher daily pay, but they are still paid on a per diem basis.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

In my area, if they know it will be a year-long replacement you would receive full salary.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

Thanks for your input everyone! I'd love to be placed a year long leave after subbing for two years.

8. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

LMichele I noticed you are from NY. I live on Long Island and last year when I was in a full year leave I received all of the salary and benefits that a teacher with a contract receives. I don't know if every district does it that way, but I believe many do around here.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

Thanks.

10. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

It depends on the district but for a full-year replacement, most will give you full salary and benefits. While they may want to hire you because you're cheaper if it's a very affluent district, they may have the mindset the parents want the very best for their kids and, whether it's true or not, they may be more inclined to pick the more experienced teacher.

11. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I am teaching a second grade position that is a full year leave replacement for a teacher. They just gave me a regular teacher salary with all the normal benefits/sick days. It is just a one year INR (intent not to rehire) contract.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2011

When I did a year-long maternity leave, I was paid a regular contracted salary according to my degree and experience. The following year I was hired again with a contract and this led to tenure in the same district. This year, I am doing a LTS for 4 mos. and I have to do the per-diem rate for 40 days and then I go up to step one on the M.S. scale. I should be step 8 but have been out of teaching some years to raise my family.

As far as I am concerned, they are getting a bargain with me. :)

13. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

I was worried about that, too. I read their board of ed minutes to get an idea of how many retirements/resignations they have, and their pattern on hiring seems to be younger, recently graduated teachers for leaves.