Yeah! My first 6 weeks of Self-Selected Reading Mini Lessons are done!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by ~Nicole, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Now on to my word study/writing Mini Lessons.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2008

that's great! what an accomplishment!!!

4. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 20, 2008

6 weeks of lessons! wow!

First year in 4th grade: :confused:I don't even know where to start. I am in Okahoma so ours will be different, but could you send one lesson to see how your organized it???

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

I used a 1 " binder with a clear pocket on the front. For the first 6 weeks I have a seperate tab for each date (everything I need is filed behind the tab). My lesson sketch is done on a calendar in publisher.

Do you have publisher-I could send it to you.

But as an example:
    September 15th I'm introducing main idea.

The students and I will work together to come up with the words for our skill poster (I make up posters for each skill using the student's words and examples). I'll be guiding them to the main idea is the reason the story is written.

Using my newspapers in education
    e-subscription to the Kansas City newspaper I'll pull off some articles and I'll model finding the main idea. Then using another article and a What's the Big Idea? graphic organizer (found here http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/class/pdfs/2007S/go/wr2004_13_go.pdf)

in the calendar space all it says is Skill poster-What is the main idea? Finding the main idea in a newspaper. Model, do together

I'll use gradual release the rest of the week

6. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 21, 2008

reading mini lessons

:DThanks for the ideas. I just recently bought Print Shop Deluxe - would that have the publisher you are talking about??? So you do the mini lesson daily, correct? I love to use graphic organizers and the one you sent looks great. Thanks so much! I will always take whatever I can get from other teachers - survival right? :lol:

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 21, 2008

Wow! I'm jealous. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with my kiddos. :eek:

8. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 21, 2008

My first6 weeks

:woot:who says I know what I am doing just kidding sort of :lol:(

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

2tired2teach~no-print shop won't have it. You'd need to have Microsoft Office to have publisher.

I do a mini lesson for reading and writing each day. It sets the tone and the focus for that block of time.

My mini lesson topics correspond with my district GLE's. I love graphic organizers and use a lot of them in my teaching. My students always have two or three to choose from at any time. We talk about what graphic organizers work best for our strategy or focus skill.

ZoomZoomZOOM~I have my writing ones done now. I'm just trying to fiqure out my plan for social studies.

10. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

these are the topcs I'm planning on hitting the first 6 weeks

Reading Procedures:
    • AR logs
    • Book Boxes and Checkout at Classroom Library
    • Fix it Up Strategies
    • AR Routine
    • Genre Sort

Inferencing and Setting
    Inferences and Problem/Solution
    QAR and Connections
    Main idea, Sequence of Events
    Inferences from non-fiction and outlining

11. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 21, 2008

publishing

Thanks for all your help. I do have Microsoft Office.... but what exactly do you use that program for????:confused:

12. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 21, 2008

By the way, teach_each, thanks for your help. You really are On top of it!!!

13. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

I use publisher for everything. It's like a word processing program (think Word) but so much more. You drag and drop your text boxes so I can have words across the top and then 4 colums of words and then more words across the bottom.

I'm too cheap for even free vista so I use publisher to make my postcards, business cards and such. Mom mom can print color pages for
    .05 each. I also just started using publisher to make posters for my room.

I just e-mailed her my order. She's printing 1 poster, 50 lost in a book slips, 50 absence postcards, 50 no homework passes and 50 you've been spotted postcards. All for $2.05

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 22, 2008

This kinda reminds me of that Aesop tale about the grasshopper and the ants.

I'm the grasshopper.

15. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 22, 2008

publishing

Well I do a lot in Microsoft - and print things I find online likemy business cards, posters etc. What is mom mom??? lost in a book? absence? i got the no homework passes, bought them in a packet of 50 already printed. You've been spotted?? I am getting such great ideas - thanks! I will sit down and share soon. Leaving to go buy wedding invitations with daughter at Michael's, then to Kinko's to get them printed. Busy busy. Summer sure flies by!!!! We go back to work August 12.:up:

16. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 22, 2008

Grasshoppers

You make me smile, zoom zooom. You are probably just like my good friend - she puts it all off and hits the ground running. She does an awesome job and makes it seem almost effortless. Big Sigh! :cool:

17. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

oops- Mom mom should be just mom. My mom has professional printers and copiers at her work and can print things for me cheap.

lost in a book-My BB in my library area is going to have a lost in a book theme. I make up 6"x2 1/2" slips (on cardstock) that the students will write the title of the book, their favorite part and an "you will like this book if..."piece. Each student will have a hook and all cards will go on an O ring on the hook. At the end of the year they will have a record of every book they read.

Absence postcards-You were missed postcard, on the back there is a place for my attendance reporter to write the assignments, dates due etc.

You've been spotted- postcard I did up with a dalmation on the front. Plain back. I'm doing my own spin of workshop way and one of the tasks will be to write an encouraging note to another student in the class. I'll post a chart with everyone's name, you cross off the name when you write the note so that everyone gets one eventually.

18. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 22, 2008

What a MOM!

Lucky you! Great Mom! I can make the posters, etc no problem. However, I am working hard on visualizing your notebook. But I do have a master's - so surely my BRAIN will click in soon!!! I think my Brain thinks it's summer and no school -- :DtHANKS AGAIN. OK you don't stop sharing now. OK???? I promise to share. I have good ideas too. Let me start thinking and I will share! promise!:)

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 24, 2008

Well to be honest, I'd probably have some lessons prepared by now if this wasn't going to be my first year. I have to check out all the kiddo's IEP's first and plan later. I'm jealous of all the folks that have a plan in June. :unsure:

20. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 25, 2008

planning in August

I totally understand that - it's great people that can do IEP kiddo's and plan at the last minute! Hooray for people like you!:2up:

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 27, 2008

Wow, I remember a year ago when I developed a similar resource. :) I don't have Publisher but would be quite interested in seeing the file. It definitely provides great comfort to have charts/mini-lessons ready. Last year, things did run smoother with some things mapped out.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 27, 2008

Oh, and I also have NIE (through the St. Petersburg Times in Florida). I plan on re-subscribing this fall. :) NIE certainly provides a lot of tips for teaching.

23. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

I'll see if I can figure out a way to turn it into a .pdf.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 29, 2008

I downloaded an awesome program called Primo PDF last year (when I developed my reading calendar) and have been quite obsessed with it ever since. :) Awesome job, Nicole.

25. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

I would love to have your lesson plans, if you are still willing to share them. I am a new teacher to 4th grade. I taught kindergarten last year (I know...big jump). Hopefully, I will be able to share more with teachers soon, as I do have some wonderful writer's workshop lessons that another teacher gave me. My e-mail address is kari.sharp@blountk12.org

Thanks,
    Kari S.

26. mmarquez110

mmarquez110 New Member

Sep 10, 2010

Hi Everyone
    I know this is an old post, but I recently have been moved from a Kindergarten SpEd class to a 3/4/5 bridge class and am feeling a bit overwhelmed...any advice for reading and writing lessons...i see that some of you had a calendar of minilessons which sounded great, and was hoping for some help
    Hope everyone had a good first few days