Yeah! I found my first read-aloud of the year. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ~Nicole, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I'm going to start off the year with The Time Warp Trio- Summer Reading is Killing Me by Jon Scieszka.

It has a lot of allusions to other books that I'm hoping through making lots of text to self connections will get my group fired up about some different books.

What will you be reading?

3. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I will start with 4th Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli. Great book about getting older and not giving in to peer pressure.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure yet. I was thinking of reading The Tales of Despereaux, but haven't decided yet.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

My first chapter book read aloud: Junie B. First Grader - At Last!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I think I will start with the one I started with last year:
    The Hundred Dresses. My kids still talked about those characters even at the end of the year.

7. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

i love Help! I'm Trapped in the first day of school by Tod Strasser

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

My first read aloud will be Poppy by Avi. I love this book!

9. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

10. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Great idea...and a fun book!! :) Ran across this the other day. It is audio and video interviews with Jon Scieszka...even learned to pronounce his name! It rhymes with Fresca! :D Wondered if you would have any use for it. :)

http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews/scieszka

PS I always start with The 100 Dresses, too! Love that book and the messages it gives about friendship, tolerance, and standing up for what's right. :angel:

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I was thinking of giving my students the choice of either listening to me read Frindle or Nothing is Fair in 5th Grade.

Are these good books for read aloud?? I think I read on here that Frindle was a good on. I just bought the book so I will read this soon. I ordered Nothing is Fair in 5th Grade from Barnes and Noble. Is this a good read aloud book?

12. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I'm thinking either 4th Grade Rats or Loser by Jerry Spinelli

13. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Both are great reads. My kids, especially, like Frindle. :)

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

Great to know! :D

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Frindle is one of my all-time favorite books. I just love everything about it and my 4th graders really enjoyed it, too. I used the book for book groups, so most of my class read it at some point last year. They also LOVE Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. After they read it in book group, they always want me to read the other Fudge/Peter books as our next read aloud.

16. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I had a high group of second graders read that book last year and we ALL loved it! I loved Ereth...I had a little girl in the group (Tomboy) that fit the bill!

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I read "Chrysanthemum" on the first day and then "The Kissing Hand" on the second day.

I believe I will start with a read aloud as well on our first full day and read either "Junie B. First Grader ~ At Last" or a Ramona book.

Any other great first grade friendly chapter book teacher read alouds would be super too! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

PS. I love "The Hundred Dresses" I remember my Mama reading it to me when I was younger. Such a great story!

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I usually start out with Frindle, but the second chapter is the first story in our new reading series. I don't know if I should still read it.

What do you all think?

19. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Still don't know my grade level. If it's Kindergarten they *always* do The Kissing Hand but if I have first I'll probably read The Night Before First Grade I found it at Wal Mart last year.

20. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I read Frindle to my students a few years ago. They absolutely LOVED it. I had several students who made up words to go with things in the classroom. Even at the end of the year, they were calling the pencil sharpener by the word they made up (I think it was a fleezboot). We had several neat writing assignments that tied into the book. I am definitely planning to read it aloud this year!

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2007

Either The Grand Escape or Among the Hidden.

22. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I've been trying to decide what to start with too. Sounds like everyone likes Frindle. I'll have to look for that today.

Do any of you do writing assignments that relate to the read aloud or do you do separate novel activities?

Also, is Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing too young for 5th graders? I really like it! :)

23. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I'm thinking maybe I'll start withA Fine Fine School by Sharon Creech. Not sure yet.

24. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I think I am going to start with "Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little". Great, new book about a girl who does not want to do her summer reading! I plan to read it aloud in about an hour on the first or second day, as it is fairly short.

25. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I remember having my fourth grade teacher read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I still re-reader those books at 24. (I'm a sucker for books from my childhood) and I just bought the entire Fudge series for my god-daughter. She's only four but I read her a chapter or two every Monday night when I babysit. It makes me feel like a kid again.

On a side note when I was about 15 or 16 I was baby-sitting a kid who's teacher was reading the Fudge book where Fdge smears mashed potatos all over the kitchen wall. Well guess what the little guy did that night with his mashed potatos and gravy...You guessed it all over the wall....uggg. It was a pain in the but then but now it makes me laugh and I still bug him about it. (I remained very close to the family over the years....that story is definately going to be told at his wedding....hehe)

26. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

This is one of the first curriculum things I start on the first day. I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. They all love it and we compare them going to Narnia and the strange new world with going into 5th grade and this strange new room (and teacher...)

27. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

First picture book: either The Kissing Hand or First Day Jitters
    First chapter book: Charlotte's Web

28. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 27, 2007

Our first chapter book (yes, even in 1/2 day Kindergarten) is "Junie B. Jones and the Stinky Yellow Bus"

29. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

My students always have some type of assignment that goes along with our read aloud. I try to tie them into the strategy that we're learning in reading, but sometimes we work on studying the character and how they've changed throughout the story or write summaries of each chapter, which are then turned into podcasts that summarize the entire story.

30. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

podcasts? please tell me more

31. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I love Frindle too. All of Andrew Clements books are great. I listened to The School Story on tape with my own children last summer. It's great and tells the whole process of publishing a book while telling the story. The person reading the story on the tape was great with the voices. This summer we read Room One about a boy helping a homeless family.

32. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

After each student wrote their summary, I would record them reading it (practicing their fluency/expression/rate) and then post the audio on my website so they could hear their classmates summaries and so that parents could listen to their child retell their assigned chapter.

33. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

What would you use for 6th grade?

34. meridian

meridian Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

My classes have always loved Frindle. Has anyone read AC's new book, No Talking? It looks great! I'm going to try to pick it up today and read it this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll start the year with it or if it will be second.

From Amazon:
    Book Description

"You have the right to remain silent." However...

The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot.

Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth, bumps into an idea -- a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls.

How do the teachers react to the silence? What happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos?

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness...with or without a bullhorn. It's Andrew Clements at his best -- thought-provoking, true-to-life, and very entertaining.

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Um. Hello!!! My kids love the Time Warp Trio series! I actually started getting into the series 2 years ago when I found the first book. I began to read it to my after school remediation kids. These were kids who hated reading! I would read a chapter each time we met. Everyone of them got into reading because of that book.

36. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Oh...
    My first read aloud will be First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. We will then read Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 by Judy Finchler.
    Our first chapter book will be Dragon Slayers Academy: The New Kid At School by Kate McMullan. Then we will read Calendar Club Mysteries: The Case of the Back-to-School Burglar by Nancy Star.
    Two years ago I read through the entire Magic Tree House series with my students. We did mini-studies with each one to tie them all together.
    Last year I decided I would read the first book of all the series that I love. Both years were a success, but I like reading the first book of each series. It introduces the students to books they might not have thought of before.

37. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I'm jumping onto the Frindle bus for 5th grade... but my 1st graders LOVED Superfudge!

38. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 27, 2007

One of the 4th grade teachers read Frindle to her class last year so that one is out. I was planning on starting on the California Young Readers Award nominees since we never get to finish all three books, but I like the sound of No Talking? If I decide to go with a CYRA book, then I will start with Each Little Bird That Sings, even though I think it is a terrible book.

39. BarbB37

BarbB37 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Why not? It's important for the kids to get the entire story, too! :cool:

40. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

Because I like to read aloud every day... I am not sure if I will finish the first chapter on the half day, and I think I will start the reading story Monday (not 100% sure yet). We will only read half that day, and finish it up the next day.

Then I was afraid that during the week, with me reading ahead, it would get the kids confused on details.

Hopefully the above makes sense :sorry: Does anyone else think that would be a big deal?

41. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 28, 2007

any suggestions for 6th grade? It seems like my students have read everything I'm familiar with. Oh, and most of them are very high-students. :)