Yea! Christmas Eve!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Dec 24, 2010.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2010

Christmas Eve is THE BIG ONE in my house. We haven't really done a heck of a lot of celebrating since my mom passed 6 years ago (in December), but we've come up with some quirky traditions...

- Little Brother is HOME from Boston! We still haven't decorated the house.

- The Christmas Ficus got a makeover. Yes, I said Christmas Ficus. A Christmas Tree is still too painful, so we decorate our fake Ficus, complete with lights, ornaments, and a very pathetic-looking star. In heaven, my mom is rolling her eyes at me.

- Good news! Santa will be on schedule tonight. I know this because he does dry runs to houses without young children on Dec. 23 and he made it to my house last night ;). He doesn't not seem to mind the Christmas Ficus, either.

- I baked ALL MORNING. Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, authentic key lime pie, butter cookies, and my mom's specialties - pierogi, kolache, and chocolate chip zucchini bread.

- It's nearing time to start dinner. We try to to the traditional Italian 7 fishes, but it gets hard to work it all in. Dinner will go something like this: Wine, shrimp cocktail, cheese & crackers, wine, smoked mackeral & salmon, wine, seared scallops, wine, pan-fried pierogi with mushrooms & onions, pasta with anchovies & bread crumbs, wine, asparagus and baked cod, wine. That's only 6, so I'm counting my tuna fish sandwich from lunch. Dessert: a wide assortment of cookies. Brother breaks out the homebrew. Dad breaks open the liquer cabinet & chokes on the dust that billows out. I try not to die from indigestion.

- At this point, we will be pleasantly squiffy & decide to open JUST ONE present each, while Dad reminds me that I need to go leave Baby Jesus a beer and some kolache*.
    (*this is the only tradition we still follow. When I was little, we didn't leave cookies & milk for Santa - we left beer & cookies for Baby Jesus. I was very worried about the effect beer would have on a baby, but my dad ASSURED me he would be ok).

- An hour later, all presents are open and we are very squiffy and giggly. Someone will have stolen Baby Jesus' beer and cookies. Evidence will point to the powdered sugar on Dad's fingers. Everyone will feel be sad that my mom isn't here, but we won't talk about it.

- Tomorrow morning, we will awake with varying states of hangovers, lay on the couch, and watch Christmas movies while cursing our one night of overindulgence each year.

Merry Christmas!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

Sounds wonderful, chebrutta! (I would love some of my grandma's pierogi right about now).

I miss my dad deeply at Christmas and started a new tradition the first Christmas after he died of buying my mom, sister and myself an angel ornament for our Christmas trees.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 24, 2010

Hugs Chebrutta, and your celebration sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas.
    I think of my parents a lot, but esp at Christmas. They used to spend the night before and after Christmas at our house, it was so much fun. We all have wonderful memories of that time.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 24, 2010

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2010

We just had a fish dinner at my MIL's house (roast beef for me because I don't eat fish). I don't know if she made 7 kinds though. I still have cook/bake some things to bring to my mom's house tomorrow. It's going to be a long night! Merry Christmas everyone!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 24, 2010

I understand how you feel, Chebrutta. It sounds like you have some great family traditions that bond your together.

My two grown kids and I had a nice ziti dinner at home tonight. We haven't sat down together in quite a while, so it was special. I made some quick sugar cookies for dessert. Yesterday I made a pumpkin pie.

I took a tiny silk Christmas tree to my mom who is in rehab. Tomorrow, we all (me and my two sisters as well as families) will go up to the rehab to exchange gifts since my mom can't be home. (The nursing center will probably go nuts 'cause we'll need one of the little 'living rooms' as well as the portable oxygen....)

I've seasoned a roast beef for tomorrow. Now I just have to fix that baked french toast dish that soaks overnight and I'll be done.

Christmas blessings to all of you.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 25, 2010

My grandmother passed away in February 5 years ago, and we were very close to her... Christmas was the last time we were all together with her before she wound up in the hospital. Each year Christmas is very difficult for us. The first Christmas after she died, we went on a cruise over Christmas because we couldn't handle being at home without her. Now, our Christmas is a lot less elaborate.

I love the beer for baby Jesus! We might have to try that sometime!