Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 9, 2008

Our class received a laptop cart with ten BRAND-NEW laptops inside on Friday!

I love technology. What's something neat you've done with laptops in the classroom?

My mind has been racing; I am going to use them sometime every day. Tomorrow, my students will do Reading Counts with a morning read-a-thon during reading centers and then a small webquest in the afternoon for geology where they'll have to respond to a few questions from different websites.

You're probably thinking, Jasztal, get off your high horse, but I've never been so excited!! :dizzy:

They can make PowerPoints, podcasts, go to my Edublog (Ohhhhh!!!! That just give me a THOUGHT!!!)... keep my mind racing; what else can they do?

3. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

My kids love to practice their spelling words on spellingcity.com and webquests are always a big hit as well. Check out the websites for the big museums in major cities, most have an education/kids corner with activities that are easily tied into many curriculum topics.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 9, 2008

happy

Oh, so happy for you.

5. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

My students love freerice which I don't mind since it's vocabulary practice. They also love geography games, you can google place the state intermediate and find the game. I also bookmarked time for kids online for my student computers so students can read that information. Do your textbooks have online editions? Ours do and those are bookmarked too so students can have a lesson read to them, or can do extension activities online. I'm hoping to have them do webquests as well at some point, and edublog (which I just found out about on here). They can type up any writing that they do, and of course making power points or podcasts. You're so lucky, I wish I had 10 computers (instead we have 2, at least we finally got them!). Have fun!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2008

Jealous here :)
    Congrats!

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 9, 2008

I won't take a picture of the cart. :) Don't worry.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2008

Wow. Was it from a grant or what?

9. erh3794

erh3794 Rookie

Nov 10, 2008

how fun! you can do so many cool things!
    put notes on powerpoints.
    a neat idea is to keep behavior points in EXCELL documents. :)

once in a while, let your kids use paint in the accesories, to decorate the classroom

anyways. hope that helps :)

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 12, 2008

We've done a webquest so far and Reading Counts. Tomorrow, we're going to have a period for math games- we've reviewed division as well as transformations- flips, slides, and turns- most recently. Transformations was noted a class weakness from ThinkLink. So tomorrow when we do the math games, I think they'll learn more about their skills of need.

11. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

I'm jealous that some schools and districts have money to spend on these kinds of wonderful things, when my district is cutting, cutting, cutting in so many areas. Technology enhances learning in countless ways!

(Even though I'm jealous, I'm still glad for you!)

12. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 13, 2008

Fun for you and your students! I just had my 6th graders make tesselations today. I saw that you are working on slides, flips, turns and thought that might be something fun for you to do. Enjoy your new toys!