Yay! Island of the Blue Dolphins time!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TampaTeacher, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

When we return from Spring Break, I'll be starting a unit of Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphin. I just love that book, and this will be my second year using it for a novel study in class.

Has anyone else used this novel in the classroom? Maybe we can share ideas.

I wish they'd make a new movie version, because the one made in the 1960's is really weak. The only good thing I can say about it is that the kids had a great time pointing out the parts that were different from the book. It's not exciting at ALL. :unsure:

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 1, 2009

Really like that book... but wanted to bop the brother on the head (alas... he was dead and wouldn't have been able to notice my reprimand!)

One of my daughter's favorite books.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 1, 2009

That is my all time favorite book!!!!! I've read it like 100 times! :p

5. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

I use it every year with my 5th graders!! I love it! I will be starting that novel unit after Easter/Spring break. WOOHOO!!

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Want to share some ideas? I have to head to work now, but would be happy to do so later.

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Apr 3, 2009

Sure... sounds great!!

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 3, 2009

We read it in fourth grade and I remember liking it. I don't remember any specific activities except, as a final activity, we built a diaroma out of our favorite scene/chapter. I remember I build the ocean out of blue saran wrap with sand and small rocks and a fence out of chicken bones (cleaned) inside a shoe box with a cutout to see into it. Not sure what scene that signifies anymore, but it was a memorable assignment.

9. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

We also read it in my 5th grade class. I have my higher readers read it for a novel study. I do a packet and then project choice at the end.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Apr 3, 2009

Island is one of my core books.

One project that I like is a map of the story. I give them a big line drawing of the island (it very much resembles a dolphin) and we plot where the various events take place. They add details as we read.

At the end of the book we do a comparison with the real story of the Lone Woman of Ghalas-at.

11. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

Wonderful! Thanks, everyone!

One thing I like to do is have the kids read the description of the island, then using only what's in the book, draw a map of the island. It's cool to see how they interpret it similarly and differently.

I was also thinking of having an activity just before they read about how Karana built her house out of whale bones (that's what you were doing, Miss J.). Without much instruction, I want to have them work in small groups with some twine and popsicle sticks representing the sinews and bones Karana used to make her house. I want them to decide how they would do it. But I'll have to think about that activity, because Karana built it against a cliff, if I'm remembering correctly. What will I use to represent the cliff? Clay maybe?

I'm on Spring Break now, so I'll be re-reading and making plans.

Thanks for the help. Please keep the good ideas coming! :)

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

I remember putting together some activities for this novel when I was an undergrad...one assignment that I really liked was writing what happened after Karana left the island, from her point of view.