Yay! Got a job...um,er...now what?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Tolentine Grad, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Tolentine Grad

Tolentine Grad Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

Well, I accepted an offer for my first teaching job ever just last week.:D I am a career changer and am very excited to be teaching fifth grade.

I feel like I spent so long preparing for the interviews and such and then boom, I was blessed to get an offer my first interview with a principal. Yay! So, what do I do now?:wub:

Since my offer I have read the Teacher's Handbook the p gave me. I wrote my Parent Letter. I have looked at my curriculum and picked out lesson plans (did that before interview actually). I have started a supply list. I designed my classroom layout on graph paper. The handbook says we get $150 for our classroom. That is not a lot but at least it's something but when do I get it I wonder? I would love to shop for stuff but everyone here advises to wait. Not a problem considering I have no money now anyway.

School here starts August 11th but I start training on July 7th for three weeks and then Orientation is July 31-Aug 4th. Time will fly by, what should I be doing to prepare? I want to order so many teaching books you have suggested but someone close to me said they will order them for me so be patient. Uggghhh! I really want to start reading First Six Weeks...

Any advise?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 11, 2008

Congratulations on your new teaching position!

I would first ask if you will be able to contact any of your grade team members. They may plan together or already have field trips scheduled that could impact your lesson plans. I would also ask to see your room and check out the supplies that may already be there. I made the mistake and spent my classroom money before asking the other teachers what they thought I would need -- so many of them offered to give me their surplus supplies.

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

Congratulations on the new job! This is such an exciting time for you. I agree with Proud2BATeacher, meet and plan with your teammates. It sounds like you are ahead of the game though, so don't stress out! I just finished my first year teaching 5th grade, and my teammates were very helpful. I learned A LOT more through them then any handbook. You may want to start thinking of your classroom procedures and organizational methods. Good luck with everything!!

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

Congrats on the job, Tolentine! You and I will both be teaching our first year in 5th grade. :) You've already done a few of the things people recommended to me, so I think you're on the right track. I plan to email my P with a few questions today, and I'll be calling my grade level head very soon. I've been given a catalog and $300, but I have no clue what the school supplies (like expo markers and filler paper) and what I need to supply.

Are you at a year-round school? You start so early. I don't go to the new teacher training until Aug 13th. This is all so exciting, I can't wait to find out more about my team.

Here's to a great first year!!

BTW, is your team departmentalized?

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 11, 2008

This has been my experience so far. Unfortunately because I am currently working, I am not able to meet with my team to plan next year curriculum but they will keep me updated via e-mail & we plan on meeting during the summer as well. The teacher I am replacing left me so things but I already started getting my own. I just couldn't control myself! Also, I will have the opportunity to see my classroom in the summer since they will be having summer school.
    It's been great to be able to keep in touch & feel like you are getting support even before starting!

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 11, 2008

oopps, forgot to say that I agree with what has been said. See if you can meet or make contact via e-mail & phone with grade team members. Suggest meeting for dinner or lunch to get to know each other.

Congrats!!

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 11, 2008

It sounds like you are off to a good start!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

I am changing grade levels this year from 4th to 5th (different school), so I understand the wanting to be prepared thing! I have looked at my state standards for what I am teaching and I am compiling a notebook of different ideas (not actually lesson plans--way too early to start that). I write the standard number at the top of the page and then file it in the notebook in the correct area (different notebook for each subject, then each notebook is divided into similar subject sections).

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

You can also do things like work on your classroom theme if you are having one, making centers (yes, I still use "centers" in 5th grade during reading and writing workshop), designing positive reinforcements (I would wait for consequences or "pulling cards" type things until you find out if there is a school-wide discipline plan or not), homework policy, etc. When designing how you want to run things, be realistic with what you can and cannot keep up with. For instance, I never remember to change the date on the calendar, so either I don't do a calendar or I make it a student job to change the date on the calendar. (Jobs are another thing you could be working on.) My first year, I overloaded myself with ideas to do, and some of them just didn't fit with reality once I was into the swing of the year, so I dropped them.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2008

You might be able to find some of the books at the library so you can start reading them now. I would start writing down all of the procedures you will be using and putting them into steps.

Here is the link to the procedure discussion from a few days ago to help you think of the procedures you will need to map out:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=57741

You might also want to write a script of what you want to do/say on the first few days of school - introducing yourself/the class, rules, procedures, how the kids will get to know each other, the activities you want to do the first week, etc..

12. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

This will be my first year teaching 5th as well! Good for you! I have looked at the standards and things, so that is great! I have not been given any information, however, on the budget and classroom materials. I wish you the best of luck! Do you have a specific subject to teach? I am teaching Social Studies.

13. Tolentine Grad

Tolentine Grad Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

You all have some great ideas!

Thank you guys so much for all the well wishes and congratulations! Congratulations to all of you too! You have such great ideas and I will start to work on them. The p said I could come to the school this month during summer school but I do not think I could fit it in. Darn. I will get to meet with my team mates in August. We do start early but we are not year round (thank goodness). School actually got out May 23rd so that is why we go back so early.

The p is unsure if she will departmentalize this year. It would be new at her school so I do not know as of yet. If she does I have already let her know that ELA is my specialty.:)

I have my classroom management plan in place but I do need to practice my introduction speech and figure out how I want to address the students and start the first day (week). There really is so much to do!:D

Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate everything! Smooches! :hugs:

14. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Congratulations on the start of your teaching career.
    I too will be changing careers and will be teaching in the upcoming year, but unlike you I don't know what school, or grade yet....all I know is I am guaranteed a job. I signed my contract yesterday and they said "Yes, you will have a job"....but I may not get put in my school/classroom until a day or two before school starts!" This is very frustrating to me, I am the type of person who wants to get things well organized in advance and being "thrown" into a classroom will definitely stress me out. I am already a nervous wreck and the not knowing makes it worse.

I too am stuck in the "now what?" mode. Thanks for letting me vent.:unsure:

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 12, 2008

Congratulations! :) How exciting!! I can't wait to be in your position ;)
    I will probably have the same feelings you are having. I am so caught up with applying for jobs and interviewing, etc. I am not even thinking about what happens when I actually get hired somewhere, haha. I would say if you want...buy one book, you can get started on reading that while the person who will buy them for you...buys them and gives them to you! :)

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 12, 2008

Congrats to you. Like everyone else suggested meeting with your team is a great idea. You may also want to look over your state standards. I wouldn't buy any supplies and such until the end of July or early August. The sales are fabulous during this time.
    5th graders are the greatest!