Yay Georgia!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Jun 19, 2020.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 19, 2020

Georgia legislators just passed not having state testing for the 20-21 school year. This saves the state about 10 million dollars to help with teacher pay. Thank goodness!! I hope that school is not a hot mess when we go back. I know preplanning is going to be a lot of paperwork. Let’s hope other state follow!!

stargirl, Backroads, mrsf70 and 5 others like this.
  3. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jun 19, 2020

Congrats! I hope other districts begin to follow.

whizkid likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2020

That's awesome.

whizkid likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Jun 19, 2020

I was wondering who would go on and do this. Equitable education is a fantasy in practice and this virus will make it even more so. One still has to wonder will all the kids around the country have the technology and internet access for quality distance education. Even with good-faith efforts, my guess is no.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 19, 2020

That’s so good!

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jun 19, 2020

How does this mix with federal laws and regulations? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for forgetting about useless testing. I'm just curious.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 19, 2020

Yay!!!! Testing is all about $$$. I am very happy for you. Our district has never really cared about test scores. It is a more free thinking attitude up here.
    At 1st, it was hard for me to get used to after so many yrs of it being so important in the state I came from. It makes for more freedom to teach.

stargirl and otterpop like this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 19, 2020

I wish more schools felt this way.

stargirl and Tired Teacher like this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 19, 2020

Yep! There sure is a lot more freedom to teach when "teachable moments" pop up, expand when appropriate, incorporate student interest, when your test scores don't define you. I had 1 teacher complain about me ( behind my back, of course) that I taught "to the test." Years ago that was slanderous talk here. lol I just knew the standards was all and had taught that same grade level for many years. I had never even seen the test before.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2020

Good for Georgia! Apparently some people having been bugging legislators about this here and they literally couldn't care less. Even the supposed "friends of education" ones just say, "Oh, there's nothing we can do about that. The testing is required." Perhaps having another state already get rid of it will help...

My P was literally heartbroken when state testing was cancelled this year :rolleyes:. I am in a high poverty/high performance school and she really hangs her hat on those high test scores. We won an award from the state in 2018 and 2019 and she was so disappointed there was no opportunity to get it for a 3rd year in a row. While I'm glad our kids do well it's still SUCH a waste of instructional time. Weeks lost.

I was very concerned about our kids basically missing 4th quarter because IMO "remote learning" doesn't count for much. Then when I thought about it, they really didn't miss as much instruction as you'd think. 3 weeks would have just been state testing, and an additional week at the end of the year would have been EOY/benchmark testing.

12. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 23, 2020