Yay! Fall break is here!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

You said you get personal days, as I recall. Just take a personal day.
    We can take a sick day for medical appointments, so sometimes when the only appt available is at 11:00, people use a sick day and are off the entire day.

2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

We technically can’t, but I do things like scheduling a doctor appointment in the morning and taking the whole day off anyway, even if a half day would suffice. Sometimes it’s easier to get a sub for a full day, and the day of learning is already being thrown off. I also feel no guilt over taking a sick day when my mental health is suffering due to stress. It’s not taking a personal day and calling it a sick day if it’s health-related, and mental health counts in my book. It’s pretty rare that I take a sick day to do something that would be better reserved for a personal day. I live in the community where I teach, and I would be worried that I’d get “caught” if I were to do that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

Yes. A sick day would be allowed in that case but not a personal day. We also can’t take personal days on the first or last days of school or on a PD day. There are exceptions, but they require approval by the assistant superintendent, and she only grants them once in a lifetime (her words). If you request it a second time, she’ll put a write up in your employment file, even if you are the teacher of the year.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

I do, but I already gifted them to my friend at work, as I’ve done every single year thus far and this is my 6th year. She is enjoying them, haha!

I’ve yet to take a single day off from work.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 14, 2019

I take a whole day when I use a sick day. They can't ask us why we are taking the day unless it's more than 3 in a row. Then we need a note.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2019

Many years ago I worked in a district that was in the midst of remodeling old schools and building new schools. They decided to do to "year round" during this time. In order to get their schedule going, they arbitrarily decided upon a schedule that had us ending one year at the end of May. Summer vacation began the next day and consisted of 2 days, the weekend. The new year began Mon. We had Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and 2 weeks for Christmas. Then we went with no breaks until the end of April, when summer vacation began again.

The only positive thing about that whole "year round" fiasco was that they ended the experiment. So, our summer vacation that second year went from the end of April to the middle of August.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 14, 2019

That sounds horrible. I specifically went into education because of all the time off I get. Sheesh!

But 3.5 months for summer vacation, THAT sounds amazing!

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.