Yay! Fall break is here!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 5, 2019

We have made it to through our first grading period. Only three more quarters left. Now it’s time for fall break. My only school-related work is computer-based, and it is minimal.

I’ve got my to do list planned.
    • clean out closet & take items to consignment & thrift stores
    • clean house
    • prep bunches of meals for the freezer
    • meet up with friends
    • car shopping
    The only bad part is that DH doesn’t have the same break. His district started a week later than mine, so our fall & spring breaks rarely match.

Anyone else on break this week?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 5, 2019

I’m envious that you’re on break, haha! Enjoy!

I’m unfortunately not on break here in CA. Lucky! :)

What car are you shopping for? I’d love to get a 2020 Honda Accord Sport, but I do not want another car payment as my current car is paid off. Decisions, decisions.

Made any headway on your to-do list items yet? :D

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 5, 2019

We have tried for fall break for years, but the district says no due to sports.
    We get one Friday off in October.
    Love my Subaru Forester.
    Enjoy!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2019

We only get one day for fall break. :rolleyes:

It's the Friday after parent teacher conferences, when we've taught for four full days and stayed late into the evening twice for conferences. I long for the days when I worked in a district that gave us a full week in the fall, two full weeks (or sometimes more) in the winter, and two full weeks at spring. A true break is so necessary for a mental reset. I firmly believe that I'm a better teacher when I've been allowed to rest and reset, but, unfortunately, my district disagrees.

I definitely envy you.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 5, 2019

I got my closet cleaned out this morning while DH played a game online with some friends. Then we went car shopping. I bought a 2019 Highlander. We traded DH’s Sienna, and he is taking my F-150.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Oct 5, 2019

OK I am happy for you, but sooooooo jealous! lol We do not get a fall break. I don't ever remember getting 1 in life even. :) I remember the days we got 2 weeks off for Spring Break, but we have only gotten 1 week off for years now.
    I really miss the days when we had June, July, and August off too. :)

8. futuremathsprof

Oct 6, 2019

Yay! One of my best friends owns a 2019 Highlander. Good choice!

As some of my students say: “Treat yo’ self!”

9. futuremathsprof

Oct 6, 2019

I don’t have school this Friday due to Columbus Day weekend and I have a minimum day this week to boot, so I’ll take it as my early Fall Break, haha!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  10. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 6, 2019

What is fall break? How many days are you off? ‍

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 6, 2019

We get a break after each grading period. Fall break is a week, Christmas break is two weeks, and spring break is a week. Summer break is 6 to 8 weeks, depending on how many days we miss and have to make up.

Michelle and bella84 like this.
  12. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 7, 2019

Winter and Spring break same here. Have never had a fall break in our area.
    Summer vacation lasts from June 20ish till Tuesday after Labor Day.
    Snow day make up not an issue since we are issued 10 days.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2019

Fall break, next week, 2 days. It's the remnants of the Education Association meeting. Which they realized no one was attending. But by then the parents expected Fall Break.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2019

Between the start of school just after Labour Day and Christmas vacation, we get 1.5 days off. One day for Thanksgiving--this coming Monday--and a half day lieu time after evening Parent Teacher Interviews in November.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 7, 2019

We have 4 more days (well, 3.5 now) and one PD day before fall break. Of course, the work that must be done between now and then is massive, but I am so ready for break!

16. futuremathsprof

Oct 7, 2019

:eek:

We’ve had a number of three-day weekends and minimum days or modified schedules since the school year started. I’d be upset if we only had 1.5 days off in total for the first semester, not counting breaks. I get 1.5 days off just this week alone!

This far, we’ve had one PD day of two. The second is forthcoming.

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2019

I actually prefer the longer stretches of time. While it does wear on you, it helps with the cadence of the weeks, and allows us to get into a much better rhythm. We had a ridiculous month last year where snow/ice, mixed with the timing of our mid-winter break, made it so there were virtually no "regular" weeks for almost a good month and a half!

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2019

You have a great point. I always get so frustrated when our rhythm of learning gets off track. That said, I'll take a three-day weekend anytime I can get one... but they are rare around here.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2019

We don't get Fall break but we get Thanksgiving break for almost a week and Winter break in February for a week. We just started school in early September.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 8, 2019

We start at the beginning of August, and I’m ready for a break by October. We have been getting a fall break for around 20 years.

We often miss our spring break because we are making up snow days. It’s a rare year when we get an entire week for spring break. We don’t have any built-in snow/weather/illness days, so we make all of them up.

21. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 9, 2019

Does your whole state not have snow days / weather built in or just the county you work ?
    What are illness days ? You have to make up days if you are sick ?

22. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 9, 2019

We have Thursday and Friday off next week. We started the day after Labor Day and this is our first break of the year. We never get a full week for any break except Christmas. Our spring break will be Good Friday-Easter Monday, provided we don't get snow days before then that need to be made up.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 9, 2019

I can only speak for three districts, the one where I work, the one where DH works, and the one where I did my student teaching. None had any built-in snow/weather days. We make up every one we miss. We first add it to the end of the school year, and if that becomes too much, they take spring break days.

Illness days are for when we have to cancel school due to outbreaks of flu or other illnesses that impact attendance district wide to the point where we cannot have school.

Michelle likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2019

I have to wait until Thanksgiving break but I am taking 2 days off between now and then because I have sick time to use and have scheduled doctor's appointments. That's the only way I can get days off!

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  25. futuremathsprof

Oct 11, 2019

:(

26. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2019

"Fall Break" starts for me within the next four days...either tonight (if our child comes this weekend) or after Monday! 6 weeks with our little one.

Backroads, bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Oct 11, 2019

Before this board, I had never heard of Fall Break. I want Fall Break!!! I am ready for it. Thanksgiving is a long time for me to wait! :) Oh, well. I always use my personal days when it gets real cold up here. I use them on my outside duty days. I'll have to be content with that! :)

28. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2019

Same here. We start mid-August and get only Labor Day and a one-day Fall Break in October. Other than that, we work every weekday until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So, I use my sick and personal days to give myself breaks when I need them. I’d rather not have to leave my students with a sub, but the district doesn’t give much choice. This time of year is always the busiest and most stressful time, and I firmly believe that we’d be better teachers and deal with fewer sub staffing issues if they would just give us a real break. We’ve told them, but they don’t listen.

29. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

How many sick and personal days are you allowed?

30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 12, 2019

Let us know!!!

31. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2019

We get 10 sick days and two personal days per year. All sick days can carry over, but only one personal day can.

Backroads likes this.
  32. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

I have about the same. My sick days carry over, but my personal days don’t. And since I never use either I always donate both of them all to my favorite colleagues at work!

It always brings a smile to my face when I see how excited my favorite work buddies get when I tell them, “Guess what, you just got two more personal days. Boom!”

One time, I worked it out with my principal — he was laughing the whole time and is very supportive of me — where I was able to put on an Oprah wig and point to eight random people during a meeting and shout, “You get a sick day, you get a sick day, you get a sick day! Everyone of you eight gets a sick day!” What great fun! :)

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2019

I’m almost to the point where I have more sick days than days left this year. I always joke that it’s a good feeling to know I could just go to the house for the rest of the year. :p

34. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

At my private school, we have to first have our sick days approved through administration. In public schools, what is the process like?

35. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2019

In my district, no approval is needed for sick days. You take them when you need them. Personal days require approval, but, as long as you stay within the rules, it's rarely denied. It's mostly just a formality.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2019

Ours is the same. When I need a day, I call the sub coordinator who gets a sub for me. Upon return, we have to sign a paper saying we were out for a medical reason, but nobody has ever asked for proof of that. Personal days require approval, and there are certain restrictions, such as not using before of after a scheduled break or during the last/first days of the school year.

37. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

Does an extended three-day weekend, for instance, count as a scheduled break?

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2019

How exactly do you approve a sick day? If I wake up during the night sick and can’t go to work, is there a chance I call and someone would actually deny me a sick day?

Michelle and bella84 like this.
  39. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

I wish I could just take a sick day at my school for a personal day, haha! That would be great.

My mind is starting to change about using sick and personal days.

40. futuremathsprof

Oct 12, 2019

We have to submit a request through our payment software that accounting uses for payroll. Our direct supervisors then read it over and approve or deny our request. They almost always approve it, but they do it to check to see if a teacher is trying to use a sick day as a personal day. This is because we are only allowed two personal days and and eight sick days, so they do it to check to see if anyone is taking an unauthorized day off.

41. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

It does in my district.