Yay! An interview! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsTeacher2Be, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I have an interview on Wednesday for a math position. I feel bad saying this, but I think I have a fairly good shot because they sound desperate :unsure: They've got 2 math openings that they need filled, and they sounded actually interested in me even though I'm still working on my license, which isn't even in math, but social studies. I'm planning on adding math eventually, which I told him, but right now I'm only comfortable with algebra, geometry, maybe trig, definitely not calculus. I told him if he needs someone for calculus or upper level math, I really didn't want to waste his time, but he still wants me to come in. If they had a qualified candidate, they wouldn't have to interview unqualified candidates, right?

Any advice for my interview? I've got lots of ideas on how to make SS interesting, but I know nothing about teaching math...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2008

Some tricks to teaching math:

1. Keep it real whenever possible. If you're teaching middle school, that means lots of real life examples. Percentages means sales tax. Interest means you do mortgages (with real local prices) and car loans. Anything you can tie in to the real world is something they'll understand more readily.

2. Math teachers NEED to be big on the process behind the work. Every single time I teach a new concept, I put the word "process" on thea board. The kids and I discuss how we did the last problem and they come up with a general list of how to do this type of problem.

This year I'm teaching a number of kids I had 2 years ago. On that first day, after I did my spiel on how my class runs, I asked if anyone had questions. There was just one: Do you still give those process notes the way you used to??

Don't worry-- they won't put a new teacher into Calc if there's any way to avoid it. You're more likely to teach Algebra or Geometry, even if it means moving the current teacher up.
    Good luck!!!

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 13, 2008

Thanks Alice! I'll definitely take that to heart, even if I do have to come back pretty often to ask for advice on how to make things relate to real life! :) I love the idea of the process notes. I was actually thinking about that already, and it's great to hear that it works!

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

Sorry I don't really have any advice on the math but I just wanted to wish you good luck!

6. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

good luck with the interview....i'm in the same boat as you

I also hold a SS credential, but am interviewing/doing a demo lesson for Spanish tomorrow. The school is also desperate because the regular teacher left to a new school, and the replacement teacher quit after 1 day. Barring some unseen events, the job should be mine since it was the principal who asked that I apply, and the students all want me to teach the classes.

I can't help you with math though. I would echo the whole connecting math to real life aspect though.
    Math and SS go hand in hand, be it via economics or issues of human rights

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 14, 2008

I hear you! I really, really prefer the older grades but interviewed last week for a K position. Take what you can get and then after a year or two you can always transfer.

8. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 14, 2008

Good luck! That reminds me I want to call the state and make sure I can add on math certificate onto my K-6 w/o classes. I looked at the sample test and didn't look to difficult and Im usually a good test taker.

I had an opportunity for math once last year....but then they (middle school) wanted me to do a SS class, Geography class, English class, etc. I feel for whoever took that job!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2008

Good luck with the interview!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

So, how did it go?

11. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 15, 2008

I walked in the door about ten minutes ago, and right as I was walking in the P called to offer me the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I go in to meet the teacher who's leaving on Friday and I start on Monday! I'll technically be a sub until the school board meets on Nov. 3, but he assured me it wouldn't be a problem getting me approved. I'm so unbelievably happy! Now I just get to figure out how to balance school and teaching full time, but that's a great problem to have :lol: Thanks for all of your support!!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

YAY! Congrats!! Is this job in the town where you and hubby want to move to, or the town you're currently living in?

13. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Thanks! It's a little bit outside the town we're currently in. He's still waiting to hear back from his interview in the new town, so we may have some things to work out, but we'll figure it out I suppose :)

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2008

Congratulations! That's awesome news!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

That's GREAT!!! Can we assume you're teaching all Algebra I?

If we ever get my computer "un-crashed" I have lots of verbal problems ready for you.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm teaching freshman Algebra this year too!

16. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Thanks Jessica! I'm so excited! I'm going to visit my old high school algebra teacher tomorrow and see if she has any great advice. I had her for 3 different courses, and she was one of those great teachers that you never forget.

Alice, that's awesome! I'm teaching Transition to Algebra I this semester and Algebra I next semester. If it's still the way it was when I graduated high school, Transition covers the material in the first half of the algebra book and Algebra I covers the rest.