Yard sale

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jun 28, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2010

If you have had a yard sale before, do you think it was worth it?

I have a decent amount of stuff from when we moved that we just don't need or want anymore. It would be nice to be able to get a few dollars for the stuff. We have some clothes, old furniture, computer stuff, knick knacks, some kitchen items that we had duplicate of. Nothing spectacular. I just wonder if it is really worth it to drag everything outside, set up tables, label everything, etc and then still haul off whatever I don't get rid of.

Have you made good money from having a yard sale?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I've held 2 in my life (a few yrs apart) & I don't plan to do it again. The laying everything out & the packing up of what doesn't sell is a lot of trouble to me. I made some pretty good money w/ my sales (especially the 1st one, which I put newspaper ads in 3 papers), but I probably won't have anymore stuff as good to sell for a long time, so these days, I just have Salvation Army (or some similar organization) come & pick it up.

The bigger items I've sold were a pair of old bikes, an old PC computer, floor lamp, & probably some other things.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2010

For me, it's not worth it. I'm in such a rural area that there is NO traffic. Even if I were to put out signs, it wouldn't generate enough traffic to make it worthwhile.

I usually tell my friends that I have stuff, and then I take anything else to Goodwill.

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

I just had one. I made about $300. Most of that was a few larger items including a curio cabinet that sold for $100. I put an ad in the local paper and one sign at the intersection of the 2 closest main roads. I have one every summer to declutter and make some vacation money.

6. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 28, 2010

My subdivision has one every year. The best thing I do is dig up some of my extra plants and thin out my flowers, throw them in some plastic pots and sell them.I made about $200 on plants alone. Plus i sell bottles of water and bags of chips. Next year I plan on only doing plants and concessions.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

I have had two at two different houses one was on a main drag and just constant traffic and flow- trucks always rumbling by. The best part was that anything left over, I just left on the curb and it was gone within the hour.
    The other I had in the middle of nowhere, but still did really well. I put two ads in and signs obviously at the main road. I enjoy setting up and organizing it all- since I enjoy it, it is worth it. I also had two other people sitting down and doing it with me, so I was not just stuck out there and I had my laptop playing my favorite tunes in the cellar so it was all good.
    Then I never bring the stuff back inside, it goes directly into my truck and to charity (no charities around me pick up) or packed according to the rules for got books to be picked up when they are in town. The two I had were a while ago, but I will be having two more at those same locations this summer again- I might just gather all of the leftovers to be placed on the curb.
    I have never done it for money- I do it to get rid of stuff- honestly no offer is ever not accepted. I just want to get rid of it and the more that goes the less I have to pile in the truck and drive somewhere. So it is all dirt cheap. I have piles in my house ready for the yard sale, but still have more to clean and sort before I can have my next two sales.
    I did best when I set up the area the best, the most attractive way possible. Putting that extra effort in brings better results and makes people want to buy. I like doing that so it works for me.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

9. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

I did it once and never again. I live in a small town. Everybody wants something for nothing. It wasn't worth my time and I had more people stealing than paying. I now donate everything to goodwill.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 29, 2010

Our town recycling center has a "swap shop", anything you want to get rid of can go in there and you take what you want.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2010

I've done many garage sales and I've had good and bad experiences with them.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is your location/advertising. The more you advertise, the more people will come.

I've had some yard sales where I've made $100 literally selling junk. I've made the most money (over $500!) selling old clothes, dishes, pots, paperback books, etc. And then I've had a few where I've made about $5. It all depends on the day, your customers, and what you have out.

I will agree with silver_rain - stealing is very, very common at garage sales in my area and they tend to work in groups of three or more. Two people will haggle over the price of something while another helps himself/herself. If you think this could be an issue, make sure your boyfriend is there and a friend to help keep an eye on everything.

Some people will haggle to the DEATH over an item. It's perfectly acceptable to ask them to leave if they get annoying or pushy.

Decide beforehand what you're willing to be flexible on. Are there certain items that must fetch a certain price? Are you going to be offended when someone offers you 25 cents for an item marked $5?

jd019 is right - offer a concession. I "opened" for business at 6AM with a full coffee urn (free!) and donuts (25 cents). It made a HUGE difference in terms of older customers actually purchasing something.

Best of luck to you!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

I've had 2. At each, we made an average of $200. Arrange for Goodwill or Amvets or Red Cross to come pick up your 'leftovers' the day after the yard sale. Good luck.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks everyone. I might try it. I will see what all I have when I am finished cleaning out the garage. My neighbors said something about having one too so maybe we can get more business with a dual family yardsale. And I had also thought about selling some baked goods.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2010

I know you probably want to put an ad or two in the papers, but you don't want to eat up your profit too much.

15. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

I've had good and bad. Every since I can remember, my mother had one every year. I go through my stuff once in the fall and once in the spring, and pull out stuff to get rid off. I have one garage sale a year and I do it in the spring. Anything I don't sell, I take it to the Goodwill. The reason I have a garage sale instead of taking it straight to the Goodwill is because the closest Goodwill is an hour away.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2010

In my neighborhood, there's always some organization leaving a card in the mail stating they'll be in my area to pick up things...this happens about every couple wks.

I have 2 sets of practically new encyclopedias that they won't take. I guess I'll have to lug them to donate them to the library.

17. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

Sadly, encyclopedias are so "old school" no one around here wants them. My mom gave me the set from my childhood. I have it displayed on my bookshelves minus "W" which my BF borrowed in jr high. :)

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2010

I have one about every other year. For me, it's all about getting rid of things, and giving other people the chance to use them. I price things LOW. And then, yes, people still haggle - a book for a dime, won't you take a nickel?? And, because I started this with the mindset that I just wanted everything gone, I always say, sure...ANY money made is a bonus to me.

I had one about a month ago and made $180. That was a record for me! The things that sold really well were a bunch of tote bags, a bunch of old craft supplies (including beading supplies), and a bunch of baskets. My mom has been doing a lot of cleaning out, and I took all of her junk. That's what sold really well. Kids' toys and books didn't sell well at all.

I found it's easiest to just group things and price the whole lot of them the same way - all books a quarter, all videos 10 cents, all large toys $2, etc. I do divide my "stuff" so that housewares are in one part of the sale, toys in another, books/videos in another and crafty stuff in another. It would make it easier to pool with a neighbor - you'd have someone to talk to, and there would be two of you to watch the goods and the money.

This last time, as I was selling, I got a call from Goodwill wanting to do a pickup on Monday. Woot, woot! I pulled all of the stuff that didn't sell into the garage, and put it in shopping bags. I took out a few things for friends who have younger kids, and a few things for other classrooms at school to use, and Goodwill took the rest two days later. I didn't even have to put it in the car!

19. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

The really sad thing is that I would have just given the items to them if they would have asked. They stole small things that were marked low low low.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

I just freecycle. The area by my mailbox looks like a yardsale all the time, but it's just freecycle pick-ups. ;)