Yard Duty for Special Ed Teachers?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Ms. I, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 12, 2008

Just out of curiosity, do you special ed teachers hv to do any kind of yard or bus duty bef or after school? Many times, special ed teachers are exempt from this, but when I was a special ed teacher for a yr, everyone signed up for a certain duty at the beginning of the yr & that person did their duty EVERY SINGLE DAY till the last day. They didn't even hv teachers alternate every other wk or so. If I couldn't do it due to an IEP mtg, I had to find someone to switch duties w/.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

The special ed teachers at my school have duty. They have to cover recess. Teacher's cover lunch duty.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

I have recess duty every day. Mainly to ensure my ED kiddos are safe.

Actually, I get no breaks. I go to specials and eat lunch with them too.

5. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

At my previous high school I had a daily duty, which was a pain to be honest. At my current school, duties are voluntary, but this is a major negotiating sticking point for our contract. Especially for spec ed, who like zelda said, usually wind up without a break anyways.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2008

All of our teachers have 60 minutes of supervision duty a week.

7. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

So far, in 4 years, I haven't been given any duties, nor have my parapros. My paras and I have to meet my students at their bus every morning (3 are in wheelchairs), help them eat breakfast, and help them to the room, so morning duty would not be practical for me. And I've always just managed to skate by without having to do afternoon duty. :)

8. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

What do the special ed teachers do with their students while they are at recess duty? That doesn't seem very practical. Or is it resource teachers? Surely it's not self-contained teachers?

9. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

When I was at elementary, the first year on a campus I always participated in duty. The second year they always had me help in the front by the busses but took me off the rotation. I always made up for it by taking a duty when someone couldn't do it since I want to be thought of as part of the school staff.

Now that I'm at Middle school, we don't have as many duties and they all understand that I must be with them from the moment they get off the bus till they get on the bus so again, I help out when I can but that's because no one complains. The RSP teachers do have an assigned duty.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

I was the only self-contained teacher in a regular ed. school last year and I had to do duty. Well actually, it ended up that I had to do more supervisory duty than the regular ed. teachers and when I complained I was told that I wasn't a team player:(. I had to start my day 20 minutes earlier than the regular ed. teachers (even though we had the same contractual hours)and they would not take this into account when the supervision schedule was made up. In the end I had about 70 minutes of extra duties. My students were never in the general population (including recess) without 1 or 2 paras. They even ate their lunches in my classroon while supervised by my paras and/or myself. I was also told that I should be grateful that the regular ed. teachers take them in their classes (even though integration was the reason why my class was put there).

11. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Well, that isn't right. I want to be a team player but enoughs enough and I'm really grateful that my campus understands this. They understand that my staff and I start the moment the students' buses come and that this means that I have time in the room (academic times) that I am short staffed because they have to legally get a break.

Thank goodness for being on an understanding campus with understanding teachers.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

Teach96, I was prepared to call my union if I had to stay at that school for another year!

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

At my school last year, we had morning duty. It was near to impossible to do morning duty as a special ed self contained teacher. We (the severe/profound teacher and I) had to be at school earlier as it was ... (6:50) and get our kids off the bus. Other teachers have a "conference period" at this time where they get to prepare in their rooms until the kids come in at 7:30. We had to take our kiddos to breakfast, the bathroom, get medicine, etc. If we were assigned morning duty... we had to find someone to take our morning duty or find someone to take our normal duties with the kids. It made no sense.

Honestly, I don't think that special ed (self contained) teachers should be required to do outside duties, there are enough duties as it is. As many others mentioned, I very rarely even got a break in the school day, didn't have a conference period, etc. PLUS all my kids were ALWAYS with me or a para so there would be no reason for them to be "watched" on the playground.

14. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Teachersk, it's the same with my class... I have to be at school earlier than the other teachers to get my kids off the bus, help them with breakfast, and get them to the room. It's just not possible to do morning duty.

One of my parapros was actually assigned duty this year, but after speaking with the principal and explaining that we're already "on duty" with our class in the morning, she made adjustments and took my parapro off of duty. I think sometimes the person making the duty schedule just doesn't think about or even realize what our class involves. I would think if you explained the situation to that person (P, AP, or whoever makes the schedule) they would be more accomodating... or at least I'd hope. :)

15. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

Well, I'm at a Special Education School now-- so we don't have that problem! Everyone's responsible for their own kids.

16. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I am on duty for a whole day (morning, recess, lunch, and after school) once a week, even though I am working as a self-contained special education classroom teacher.

17. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

My guess would be that they leave them with the aides.

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

I've always been assigned to duties...some years more than others.

My 1st year @ this school I had breakfast duty every day for 1 week every 6 weeks, I had bus duty every Friday morning, then I had 20 minutes of cafeteria duty at lunch time, and 10 minutes of recess duty every day, all year.

Now I have 30 minutes of cafeteria duty every day all year. I've now been put on the afternoon recess schedule as well. I have 15 minutes Friday afternoon.

It's always been explained to me that the classroom teachers have to take attendance & lunch count, as well as other homeroom duties, so sp ed teachers & specials teachers must take the extra duties.

19. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

HAHA! I had to laugh at that reasoning. A bunch of BALONEY! :) P.S. I'm a special ed teacher and take attendance and lunch count every day!

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2008

I worked at a school where the specials and resource room teachers had the majority of the duties outside of recess because they did not have a home room. For recess, every teacher watched their own class but the specials and resource room teachers had bus, car or hallway duty before and after school. Our admin. also did bus or car duty every day. The kg. parapros did the supervision in the lunchroom.

21. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

inhisgrip ~ I totally agree. They might have that record keeping that I don't have (self contained would though), but has anyone thought about the 3+ hours per student I spend on my own time creating IEP goals & objectives? Or the data collection I do to protect my butt & my job? Or on and on...

I was merely echoing the explanation given to me. I think it's garbage and a pat answer when questioned.

22. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I have playground duty every Fri morning and bus duty every Fri afternoon. I also have to make sure that the sped students who ride the special busses get to and from class. There are 4 of those busses. So sometimes I blow off the regular duty when I have to take care of the special busses. Priorities!

23. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

The teachers all do bus duty in the am/pm at our school. The specials teachers (gym,art,computers,etc) cover the lunch duties. We cover bus duty for a week each rotation ~ the grade levels each have a different door to cover. There are 6 teachers on the 5th grade team (including 2 sp ed) so we have duty once every 6 weeks. We have to find coverage if we cannot do it for any reason.