XP: Online Bachelors for Elem. Ed?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by want2teach9, Mar 19, 2007.

1. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

Hi teachers! I am currently looking to go back to school and get a bachelors in elementary education (it will be my 1st bachelors - i have an associates). Has anyone gotten their degree from an online university vs. actually "going to class" (or know anyone who has)?

Getting the degree online would be easier on my schedule with work and everything - but im worried that its not as "good" as getting one from a school where you attend class. is the course load similar? will i be getting the same out of it (minus the human interaction)?

Any thoughts? opinions? advice?

:confused: :thanks:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2007

4. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

thank you - i actually just read that after i posted - but it still refers to masters classes. i was curious if anyone had any experience with getting a bachelors through distance learning..

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2007

The Calif. State University system justs requires a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university to get a teaching credential. Someone else will have to tell me if an undergrad elementary ed degree takes the place of a credential?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2007

It's a good bet that the original poster isn't in California, changeofcareer - there really isn't an undergrad elementary education major per se in California.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2007

Good to know! Thanks....

8. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

i am in NY - but moving to PA when we close on our house 4/16. I will be teaching in PA

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2007

If you go with the online mode, want2teach9, please make sure you take advantage of EVERY opportunity for interaction that the class affords - the more engaged you are, and the more you're communicating with others, the more you'll get out of the class. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

You may also find it helpful to look for others in your area who are taking the same class at the same time and to form a local study group with them.

10. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

thank you, teachergroupie. i guess the thing im most worried about is finding a job after school. does it look bad that i did it online? does it matter as long as the school is accredited?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2007

Those would be questions to put to prospective employers, I should think, perhaps in the course of an informational interview.

12. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

From what I understand, elem ed bachelor degrees are not available through online universities. There would not be a way for you to student teach.

13. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

HI I am currently enrolled in Western Governors University and you can get a BA in k-8 edu... this id the only on line school that is accredited NCATE... your student teaching is done through schools in your district closes to you. (i dont know how) i have spoken to some graduates and they feel that they were trained even harder than "regular students" www.wgu.edu - is the web site.. and they do accept some transfer credits...if you have

14. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

thank you ms z - i have actually found a school that is approved by the PA department of education that offers a BS online - so i am going to go there! i am very excited about finding them!!!

15. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

what school?

16. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

Drexel University

17. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

thank you.. always looking at different universities to help out friends!!!

18. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

It looks legit - and when I went to the Dept of PA website to look at the approved programs - its on there, so that really excited me! We just bought a house - so we cant afford me not working so this is great news for me!

19. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

im glad you found something that fits your current situation!!! one word of caution is it accredited? and how do you do your student teaching? i just e mailed them to get that info tooo.....;)

20. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

yes it is accredited and they have info about student teaching on the site:

"Drexel University offers accredited online degree programs, the same high quality on-campus degrees, in an easy and convenient format."

"Student Teaching for the program requires the student to spend 5 days per week for 12 weeks with a cooperating teacher in an appropriate elementary or secondary school classroom. A coordinator of field experiences from Drexel's School of Education will work with you to arrange a school-based, field placement related to your area of certification in the area where you live or work. Once you find an acceptable site, Drexel will work with the school's principal and cooperating teacher regarding meeting the course's objectives/goals. You will also videotape yourself teaching and send the Field Experience Coordinator tapes periodically for evaluation."

21. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

GREAT!!!!! Sounds just like Western Governors!!! im glad to see that there are more flexable programs like this around...
    wish you the best of luck when do you start?

22. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

more on accreditation:

"Drexel is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges & Secondary Schools (the same accreditation as Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, Cornell, New York University, Princeton, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania). It is also accredited by AACSB (Business) and ALA (Information Science)."

23. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

i will probably start this winter (since they only admit students in fall and winter cohorts)

24. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 20, 2007

well good luck. Ithink that the one thing i like about WGU is that i can start the first of any month and i can work at my own pace, so if i finish everything in 2 years and just have student teaching left I save a ton of money... well goodluck tell me how it is in a private message, if you need any help im here!!!! :D

25. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

thank you :)

26. mijalu3

mijalu3 New Member

Mar 20, 2007

University of West Florida in Pensacola offers an online bachelor's program with a dual degree in Elementary/Special Ed, and it is NCATE accredited.

27. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Mar 20, 2007

My friend is currently doing her education classes through Drexel online and she hasn't had a bad thing to say about it! :) Good luck!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2007

Middle States is a great accreditation! It means the school has done a rigorous self-study and has been evaluated by outsiders to ensure that it does what it says it does.It also has to be renewed fairly regularly (in HS, it's every 10 years. I'm not sure about colleges.) That speaks highly of the program. Administrators in the area are probably aware of how important that accreditation is.:D

29. want2teach9

want2teach9 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

great! thank you for that!