Xmas tree lights on bulletin boards!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Pre-K, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2007

Hello All,

I know, I need counseling or something ....if you saw this thread three times already...

But this is really bugging me!!!

Remember when I said the bulletin boards in our hallwyas are looking way too commerical, and competitive, hardly anything like children's work??

and I said one even has Xmas lights..ha ha, just kidding.

well guess what! NOW THERE IS ONE WITH XMAS LIGHTS!!!

and it's way too doggone close to my room!

did I tell you, I have sp. ed. pre-k???

Should I list how many things are wrong with this picture???!!!! :eek:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 8, 2007

My door is Christmas lights... paper ones. ;)

The top part says 'Happy Holidays". The bottom part is "From Intermediates" and the middle has a bulb for each kid. I hung a few strands of yarn so it looks like strings of lights. It looks pretty cool.

Are you talking about REAL LIGHTS????? That's crazy!!!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2007

YES, THEY ARE REAL LIGHTS!!!

I thought to myself, what is next? Their husband/grandfather dressed as Santa sitting outside their door!

this is supposed to be a school, not a neighborhood block contest!!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2007

I don't know....I might like real lights as long as they are blinking in different flashing patterns or something. It sounds festive to me. I guess it takes all kinds.

I tend to have kid related stuff too. Plus I try to avoid holiday BB and focus on academic related BB but only because I can't trust myself to take it down at the right time. I get behind with BB too fast.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2007

at the risk of ratting myself out here

this is a bulletin board in the hall
    in a preschool building
    actually near a parent/early zero to three room
    NEXT DOOR to me!
    with my special ed (take, grab, run with, eat, pull whatever is not anchored down) kids!!!

which can be easily reached by the average 3-5 year old!

icicle lights --- plugged in to an outlet!!

real lights!!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2007

real lights would be fine with me too...in the main office!!!

not in the hall where kids can reach them
    which is not a developmentally appropriate art project-not child centered
    has no learning outcome behind it-they don't belong on a bulletin board
    not a simple corragated border to highlight :)p) kids work, but a flashing Hollywood sign saying Look At Me!
    certainly not appropriate for infants and toddlers, who crawl near the door and in the hall

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 9, 2007

yeah, not good.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2007

what were they thinking???

it was pretty?
    parents will like it?
    principal will like it?
    I like so there!

"Well, this is one commercial bulletin board that won't spoil my Christmas!"

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2007

Oh, I was going to say that one of my bulletin boards has lights on it right now, too...but mine are battery powered. And mine are inside my room, so they are only bothering me and my own class, too. I use them as a complement to a border (they go around the edge over the border) and the board has the kids' handprint reindeers and trees displayed on it.
    Kim

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 9, 2007

Lots of teachers use Christmas lights on their bulletin boards. Our fire marshall does not allow it in our district but I know a few who still do it anyway. Sometimes they use it as border around their bulletin boards and other times they just use the white lights as classroom decoration all year- I know at least 2 who do that. I saw one post somewhere (can't remember if it was here or another board) where the teacher used the colored lights as Rudolph's nose. I guess the kids made a paper Rudolph and then the teacher stuck the lights through the nose part. That sounded like a fire hazard to me. I have enough stuff to store in my classroom already without having to store christmas lights in the off season :)

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2007

Can't we all just get along? :toofunny:
    You are so right about the hazards but in this "it wont happen to me world" just who are you going to convince until a child gets hurt?
    And when some child does get hurt it will be your fault because you did not stop them! Knowing what you know!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2007

I had white christmas lights... excuse me: SENSORY lights... in my room when I taught preK special ed. Part of my room used to be a coat closet or an office, but I used it as a smaller "chill out" room... it's also where we did circle time, because the kids were less distracted in there. But the lights were hung around the top of the room and plugged into a HIGH outlet. The kids couldn't reach them ;)

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 10, 2007

Kimrandy1 - I think your board sounds great! I really don't see anything wrong with it whether in the classroom or in the hall because... Battery powered, definetly better than cords hanging and bringing attention to electrical outlets. AND you've used the lights to "show off" the children's work. Way to go! :up:
    Master Pre-K - I agree some do go way overboard! I have a few "teacher"' boards (calendar, Bible verses, helpers) but the children's boards, including the hall, is totally the chidren's. What they do is what you get! Now, for the hall we usually do a "mural" type of picture with each child adding parts to it. They love to do this! I am not there to Wow the parents, the "Wow!" of the chldren when they put together an awesome board that is theirs and they're proud of, that's the Wow! for me!! :D

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2007

THE BEST BOARDS

The three types of bulletin boards Gravois discusses are teacher-made (sometimes pre-fabricated), student-made, and those that combine teacher and student work. When creating boards, he prefers to set up the bulletin boards and then let students take over. He often develops for students a hands-on manipulative, or "response vehicle," which becomes a part of the bulletin board. Gravois keeps three bulletin-board principles in mind. Bulletin boards, he says, should:

• be interactive and make the classroom "come alive" with the curriculum material being studied.
    • give students a sense of ownership of the classroom by surrounding them with examples of their work.
    be mostly created by students.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/BulletinBoards

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/profdev/profdev089.shtml

this board is in the hall..not in her class

she could have easily took some photos, and let some parents create some decorations, and/or let the babies put their hand prints on them or something...

to me..that would be an example of a parent/child activity, demonstrating a lesson that has occured, and illustrating the board with the theme - posted on the hall bulletin board.

for all to see
    and if eager, curious ones touch..won't be harmed
    for children to have pride in their work
    for parents to admire their children's work
    for teachers to see their children's accomplishments

no electricity needed... natural resources

:soapbox:

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 10, 2007

Most of my BB are not as interactive as I would like them to be. I primarily use them to teach or to show off the student's work. Who am I kidding. I do them because I have to. I hate decorating BB. There I said it. Anyways, my current one is decorated like the Japan flag and on the white part I took pictures of the student's projects and different things we are studying. I pasted the pictures on the board and included the associated vocab words that go with each picture.

My last one was better. It was probably my most interactive BB ever. I had the students read directions to make a USA flag. Then they wrote the directions on sentence strips and used colored markers. I posted them up. The flag just happened to be BB size. They did the entire flag themselves. Well, I drew the outline. They colored it, counted 50 stars (learned about the stars, stripes and colors) and glued them on. The stars were cut up from that foam noodle you see at pools in the summer. Good deal for 25 cents! After I stapled it and taped the directions on the wall, they were able to use that information to fill out worksheets and to make a book for their parents. We spent a few days in the hall. We printed pictures of them doing this entire activity. They cut it out, pasted it on colored paper backgrounds and taped them where they wanted them. I think that's the first BB I've done where the kids took over. Keep in mind though that I'm the aide so it's a bit hard to intervene on the teacher's time to go about doing this.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2007

see, that was real CNG..

and you admitted your feelings...and that is good!

When I was an aide, before summer break, one teacher told me to "rip up everyone's things from the bulletin board, and throw it in the garbage." (yes, those were her exact words)

and when I started, guess what the kids said??

why is she tearing up our stuff and throwing it away??? :(

I felt awful!

I don't even remember her evil response! I do know it was mean !

many teachers got an earful when the principal walked the halls, and saw the bare boards. "You need to continuing displaying academic progress."

that went in one ear and off the bulletin board!

I was told to keep stripping boards, and packing boxes!

sigh!

how dreadful to sit in the class with nothing on the walls or halls! :unsure:

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 11, 2007

That's AWFUL! I don't throw anything away in front of the kiddos though if in a rare event I have to do so. In fact, there is a collective trashcan down the hall and things like that (and big stuff) goes in there, not the class trashcan. Kids are sensitive about everything they consider theirs, even rocks they find. Hehe.

My first year here my teacher wanted me to make a big tree with far reaching limbs to put k-w-l info on flowers. I struggled with that thing so badly that the next year I refused to do it. I researched on the internet some alternatives suitable to her theme and she picked one. Well this year she mentioned the tree again instead of my other idea. It took me a month to get around to doing it but when I did she had just caught me up on my work while I was out of state and so I wanted to be nice to her in return. I tried to make the tree. She said she was shocked that I was doing it because I said I wouldn't. I told her why I was doing it. She smiled and said, but obviously you are still struggling with it. If you decide you aren't happy with how it looks, I'm fine with you doing the other idea. I IMMEDIATELY took it down and put up the arch.

19. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Dec 11, 2007

No real lights allowed in our program. Go pull one of the bulbs out and they'll quit working and be taken down. *snicker* Sorry, that was bad.

20. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

What an interesting discussion and full spectrum of opinions. That's why I like this board so much!

I have had lights in the past on my boards in the hall in the past and have them in my room even now. I have "Winnie the Pooh & Friends" lights, they're hanging on the top of our "circle time" bulletin board. I have a tree in our room, it also has lights. We have made ornaments for the tree too. If I do a bulletin board in the hall during December (we alternate months, there are 3 boards & 6 teachers on my hall) I put up their work and lights.

I have put icicle lights on January bulletin boards too. I have a January board, so I imagine they'll go up! We'll do something about polar animals and they'll be a fun touch. The kids adore them! Parents don't come into our halls other than for special days, so it's sure not to impress them.

I've also had "Easter" lights before. Yep, you read that right. They make (or use to) pastel colored lights for Easter time. Again, loved 'em! They don't work anymore and I can't find them anymore.

Festive fun and my kids enjoy them, heck ... so do I!! I love Christmas!

We eat our snack with our big lights off and only lamps on, I have 3 in my room. The Christmas tree lights & lights on the boards are fun cozy feel. We play soft music and it makes for a MUCH CALMER crowd for snacks as well. The other teachers continually comment & follow suit on my "lights off @ snack" idea.

If Christmas lights were a hazard to special needs children on my hall, I would take that into consideration and avoid any hazard of course. I feel sure that the other teacher in the first post isn't thinking about it that way. We're only there for 3 hours a day and there isn't much concern with them getting too hot in just 3 hours.

To each his own....:)

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

The saga continues....

Well folks... it happened..

One of my kids had a really crazy day, and could not control herself at all. (Yes, I ended up calling Mom...who agrees we need to have a staffing ASAP) This girl ran out the room, and went straight to that bulletin board!! And before I could get there, there she was, pulling on the lights!

At the end of the day, somebody asked me how was I doing! WELL... I just said point blank, "Well-- one of my girls went after your Xmas lights on your bulletin board! Another teacher said , while smiling.. I was mean! so I said why, I just told her what happened!!!

She said to me, you know she thinks her board is pretty. and your kids can't help it (drug affected since birth). it is fascinating to them, they can't help but go over there..probably don't have things like that at home!!

I am not Scrooge, or the meanest teacher on Earth!

I am not saying lights aren't pretty.

I just don't think real, ELECTRIC Christmas lights belong on a susposedly child-centered, pre-school bulletin board, which is at a child's reach. Especially in a preschool building. (yes, the plug and second string was taped (.means nothing to my kids) and the cord led into the room.. EXACTLY at their reach)

Just my opinion.

fine light between decorating and being responsible

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2007

The cord went through the door way? That is a fire code violation in every state!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

Please save me from this insanity Dave...

before I close my eyes and this thread!!!!

Tell them...

this is just not safe!!

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2007

My Father was an executive with an insurance company he would tell me stories that made my hair curl!
    Just when you think it wont happen here IT DOES! :soapbox:

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

thank you!

This is an accident waiting to happen.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 11, 2007

My mom has actually had 2 houses burn down. One of them was due to the gas jets on the floor and we kids didn't realize this when we were moving furniture in our rooms.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2007

Where I work, most of us have used lights on our BB boards at one time or another. My kids never touch them. Yes, they are plugged into an outlet. We all have lighted Christmas trees. We love one anothers creativity and compliment each other often.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2007

Our fire marshal will not allow live trees.........or even unlit candles in classrooms

29. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2007

Does anyone have a live tree? We all have fake trees here. For the record, mine does not have lights.

We do, however, have unlit candles for the kids to count as they put them into our menorah.
    Kim

30. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

Fake tree, with lights. We all have fake, the real tree mess is too much. Most of us have fairly smallish trees too, cheap! Some have table top trees. We all have lights.

One teacher went to a tree farm last year (a kid in her class had parents who owned one) They did the hayride, cut it down, made hot chocolate, etc.. deal. Loved it. That's not typical though for our preschool. Too much going on in December for another field trip.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2007

I can see where this is going.

Those of you who think it's cute and creative are just going to hijack my thread, and start comparing ideas.

I guess that extra set of lights sitting on a chair outside her room probably won't become a noose around some kids' neck.

Carry on without me, while I review my first aid and CPR notes.