WWYD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, May 5, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 5, 2015

I am co-responsible for an after school student activity. It meets in my room every week for the entire year. Every week, I have to take apart and put my room back together for this activity. There are many other adult chaperones who sometimes begrudgingly help with the clean up. I don't get why they have a bad attitude about clean-up, but it is clear when I ask for help moving heavy furniture that they are not happy.

Yesterday, I could not be at the activity for personal reasons. I wrote my co-director (who is difficult for everyone to deal with all the time) and let her know and gave her options: I could be responsible for contacting parents to cancel, she could do it elsewhere or they could do it in my space and she would have to ensure it all got cleaned up. She chose to have it in my space and clean up.

Before I left, I took apart the room for her, saving her about 15 minutes of work. I checked in with her and again she said she would put everything back. When I got here today, NOTHING WAS PUT BACK WHATSOEVER. My room was not in usable condition for teaching. I had to move heavy furniture myself and it took my entire prep, which meant I couldn't actually do the things I intended to do during my prep. This also happened without notice last week when a different activity used my room without asking me. This has also happened 2 additional times within the last month.

What would you do about this? My instinct was to complain to the principal, but she may feel that I wasn't at the activity so I don't get to complain. I feel, however, that it isn't necessarily realistic to expect someone to give up 3 hours every single week after school for a year and never need to miss a day. I also don't feel it is okay for me to give up my prep multiple times a week to get my room in a condition where I can teach.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2015

For starters, your room should be off limits if you aren't there...period. You are well within your rights to confront the other teacher.

If this happens again, tell the co-teacher that the activity is her responsibility and she needs to make all the arrangements...find a new space or contact parents and cancel.

Has anyone ever noticed that teachers who really don't want to be involved get really nasty because they know that people will avoid them and not make them participate?!

Is there another spot in the school that can be used without the need to tear down/put back each time?

I don't think you can do much for the remainder of this year, but for next year, don't volunteer for the activity unless there is another spot in the school to hold it.

Sorry you have to deal with the other teacher.

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 5, 2015

I should say there is a reason why this activity can only be in my room or the gym. Moving it is not really an option. Also, I didn't volunteer for this duty, it was assigned to me. I will talk to one of the other chaperones and see if there was a conversation/decision about not putting things back together first.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 5, 2015

I agree.

Next time, just cancel.

Is there something special about your room that they can't do it anywhere else?

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 5, 2015

You have every right to be upset. How you deal with it is up to you, but you are in the right to deal with it.

Just be ready for the unavoidable excuses that are coming. No way will they take responsibility for it.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 5, 2015

Notify the principal. I probably would have emailed this person with a cc to the principal instead of verbally having them "agree" to putting your room back together. Next time definitely cancel. Totally ridiculous.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2015

Firstly, I sure wouldn't even attempt to move heavy furniture myself. I'll track down the custodian to do it.

Also, for those other events other than the wkly mtgs you know about, that's a shame that they'd just barge in & use your room w/o asking. Can you just always lock your door whenever you step out of your room (even though you shouldn't have to), so there's no "surprise" when you get back?

In the meantime, I'd tell my P about this issue so you don't have to worry about locking doors just to step away for a second. Have you told him/her yet & if so, what was their reply?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2015

I'd come up with a reason why I have another commitment each week (tutoring? Childcare Issues?) and request that it be moved to gym. Or just suck it up for these last weeks of school and be unable to do it next year (see above excuses)

10. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 5, 2015

Here's my 2cents....
    I HATE when people complain to admin before speaking directly to the person they are ****** at. To me it screams "passive aggressive" and there is nothing so insulting as someone who can't just say what they think/feel to my face(maybe its the NY'er in me...).

I am all about one-to-one direct dealings first, and then only if there's a communication breakdown would I contact admin.

Even if the person is an annoying pain in the a**, I advise that you speak to them directly (verbally) first. Then, if they continue to be an annoying pain in the a**, email them so you have a paper trail. Then, if they are still not getting the point, email again with the previous conversation included and CC admin. That, in my sort-of humble opinion, is the most respectful way to deal with a colleague, unless you are really new or untenured or dealing with an parent/admin that upsets you.