WWYD?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2013

This is almost a no-brainer, but just to get outsiders' input, here's the scoop on the jobs:

Job 1 - I already got the job in early June & worked a few weeks in the summer, then it will start 8/15. The pay is a flat $2880 with NO benefits. that's the amt my paychecks should be each month. I'd work 4 days a week, 6 hrs a day, which I like. The drive is 30-35 min...not bad. The school, kids, principal are/should be good. The kids are mostly older (high school). I'll work with them 1-on-1 or maybe just 2 at a time.

If I turn this one down for the other job, I'd hate to do that to the lady who hired me, but we do what's best for us, right. But, I already have a possible replacement, my colleague who's looking for a job. She wouldn't have to go through an interview process. The job's pretty much hers if she wants it.

Job 2 - I'm hopefully offered the job...went on the interview yesterday which went well. Will probably start 8/5. The pay is $4000 gross WITH full benefits. I'd work 5 days a week from 10a-6p. The drive is only 5-7 min away. The boss seems nice. I'd work with all ages of kids, probably mostly toddlers (18 mos - 2 yrs), which I really don't care to do. I'll work with one child 1-on-1 for 50 min & the parent is usually in there observing. This is NOT a school, but a therapy facility, including occupational therapy (OT), physical therapy, (PT), & of course speech therapy (MY field).

Now we all know money isn't everything of course. Also, our time is precious. I'll also still be doing my vigorous online grad program for another year & a 1/2.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

I think I would stay with job 1. You would still be able to live comfortably, work with an age group you are comfortable with, and have time to work on grad courses.

I'm not really familiar with the SLP job. What would you do for 50 minutes with children as young as 18 months?

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

I personally would go for job 2. Even though it's a bit cheaper per hour, the higher gross salary plus benefits fully outweigh that to me. Also, being 5-7 minutes from work is AMAZING. I'm currently just 5 minutes from my job and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd also love starting at 10 a.m., as I am not a morning person.

Unless you REALLY don't like young children, and really don't want parents observing, I'd definitely go for Job 2 if it was offered.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

I would stick with job 1. You've made it very clear before that there are certain age groups you do not enjoy working with. Also, working fewer hours should help with your course load at grad school. Also, you don't want to burn any bridges with a district that has been very accommodating for you in the past and that seems to like you.

6. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

Can you receive health insurance through your college? If so, I would take Job 1 based on it seems it would make you more happy. Job 1 is paying more per hour and although you are traveling longer each day it is only for 4 days a week. You would have have much more time for your grad work.

If getting insurance is not available through your college then I would not risk not being insured and take Job 2.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2013

I appreciate your honest input guys! :) So far, it's kind of s split decision. Any more comments?

I never worked with high schoolers before I started Job 1, but between them & toddlers, I think I'd prefer HS.

itsGrape, to answer your question of why still interview, I just wanted to see the other possibilities that were out there, so I didn't want to turn down the interview. I actually came to know of job #2 SOONER (on 5/30) than #1, so end of Apr, into June was still the job-seeking & interviewing period for me. Job 2 just finally started interviewing much later than I thought.

swansong1, I've worked with toddlers before 1-on-1 for 50-60 min...thankfully temporarily! You have to not be afraid to get down on the floor, so you're at their level & play with the toys with them & encourage their use of language. They have temper tantrums &/or cry, can be crabby, etc. I MUCH prefer working with elem aged kids who you can actually converse with & they listen & follow directions.

MrTeach11, I never thought about getting ins through my university. I didn't know one could do that through their schooling. I could check, but probably not.

Job 1, I just got on 6/7 to be exact & I like the principal. The entire student population has only about 50 kids. The school is a special ed, private school & is NOT tied with any particular district. Most of the kids seem to live in group homes &/or be delinquint types. So far, the kids I worked with for 3 wks in the summer seem to be pretty good behavior-wise.

Job 2, I'd almost be a fool not to take it IF I even get it, but when I think more into it, the decision's not quite that easy. YES, I'd take it for sure if I didn't already have the other job. It's a very nice 8300-sq ft therapy facility, so it operates like a private practice. I still need to find out if I have to make house calls, which I sure hope NOT! I never liked doing that. I don't think so because that's a big thing the interviewer would have mentioned.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

Personally, it would boil down to if you need the benefits or not. I'd prefer to work less hours a week because I have 2 (going on 3) small children. My husband carries himself and our children on his insurance policy (because it is more affordable) but adding me to his policy makes the premiums skyrocket for some reason (apparently this is normal !!??), so it is necessary for me to provide my own medical insurance. I have the option of taking 3 credit hours at a local community college and getting their insurance for about $600/semester, *if* I were to ever be in a bind and need insurance. Since I'm employed through the school system, I don't need it but I'm one of those people who has to have a back up plan for stuff like that. If you have something comparable, where you can pay a relatively low amount of premium for decent coverage, I'd do job 1. If not, the benefits would compel me to go with job 2.

I'd certainly at least do all the interviewing and see where it goes with job 2.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2013

Do you need the benefits? If so, take #2. If not, take #1.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

I agree with this. The other thing that would weigh on my decision is how many classes you are taking and having plenty of time for class work.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2013

Yes, unfortunately, I need benefits. I wish I was married by now where my husband would have a good, stable job & I could just be on his insurance.

With Job 2, the lady said she wants to have her decision by THIS Monday, the 22nd (I interviewed yesterday), so she doesn't dawdle around.

Tasha, regarding my grad school, I'll pretty much be completing my last year of my 3 yr program. There's 2-3 tough courses left, but I won't be taking them at the same time. I'm always taking a total of 2 courses at once becasue that's how the program goes. Again, everything's all online, so it's up to me to stay on top of things & not procrastinate.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

If you were to be offered the second job, I'd be very tempted for the benefits and proximity to home. But you don't seem to enjoy toddlers. I cannot imagine working with an age group I didn't enjoy. I also wouldn't like the constant interaction with parents.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2013

There's actually also something to think about. Job 2 is for a SLPA position, which is fine. (It doesn't have to be a SLP position, like I had the last 2 yrs.) Well if the SLPAs actually work with the kids, what job duties & work schedule will the SLP intern do, which is another position that could be worked out with Job 2.

I need to make sure I ask that of the interviewer. She'll probably say I'll still work with kids, but will be doing a LOT more of the paperwork & IEP meetings sides of it. Then, I think my pay for the SLP intern SHOULD be more.

The position I got at Job 1 is considered an SLP salary.

Before I worry too much about this, I need to wait & see if I even get Job 2 first, then I can hopefully work out the details & possible paid SLP Intern issues with the boss.

14. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

I think #1 would make you happier :) But like others have said if you need the benefits, not to mention a bigger salary then #2 would be a more practical choice..i know I need insurance as a single gal so it would be easy for me to decide.

Good Luck to you and keep us posted.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2013

I've made up my mind after talking to my mom as well. As very, very tempting as job 2 is, I'll stick with job 1. It will be easier, more laid back work for the money & I'll still have my 4-day, 8a-2p work weeks. Since I'm still in grad school, I'll be glad I have that schedule.

I'll still be making more than I did at the job I was at for the past 2 yrs! I'll just have to pay out of pocket for benefits.

Thanks guys for your input!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

Congrats on making your decision! It sounds like job #1 would make you happier with the exception of the benefits.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 21, 2013

I was going to vote job 1 as well. Personally, I can't fathom working with toddlers all day. No thanks! There's people who love them, I just don't think I'm a good fit. But anyway...the 4-day work weeks will be better for your school schedule as well.

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

Just wondering if you could still be on your folks insurance if you are under 26? My daughter is on mine, thankfully for a few more years.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Congratulations on making a decision and on the job!