WWYD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AMK, Dec 20, 2010.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 20, 2010

I teach kindergarten and we are having a pajama day this week. One of my students told me he doesn't have winter pj's. I do believe him because he is going through a hard time with his family right now. I am thinking about picking up a pair of pjs and letting him change into them once he gets to school and letting him keep them. I don't want to offend his dad who is trying so hard with him but they are going through some hard times. WWYD?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

Maybe send a note home to "certain" parents to remind them of PJ day and at the bottom let them know that you will have extra PJs in class for students who forget to bring theirs to school. You could buy a few pairs and then you could always return any extra PJs that aren't needed.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

I like this idea.

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 20, 2010

Great idea Proud!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

Does he have any sweat pants and shirt? These could also be pjs for a boy especially. Many of my 6th graders tell me that they don't have pjs and when I remind them of this, they suddenly have ideas.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 20, 2010

Agreed. Sweats and tees = sleepwear for a large segment of the population.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 20, 2010

I agree with the sweats and tee idea. It could be that this child gets really hot at night and therefore doesn't wear winter pajamas.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 20, 2010

Great ideas. PJ's are really cheap this time of year.

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 20, 2010

When we have a PJ day, many of the kids wear sweats. Thats what I sleep in this time of year!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 20, 2010

My kids sleep in their boxers, even in the winter. I've tried everything to convince them to wear p.j.'s, but it's hopeless. They wear sweats and tee's on p.j. days....

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 20, 2010

I think the idea of having extras is good as well as the sweat pants and t-shirt idea.

Buying pajamas is sort of intimate, like buying a child a pair of underwear or getting an older female student a bra. I know you have the best intentions, but these days, we have to be really careful and cover ourselves.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

Good idea, Proud! Perfect plan.

I buy clothing and other items for students throughout the year. I have to be honest...I don't worry much about offending the parents because there is a need and I am able and willing to help fill that need. It's not as though I am buying name brand items because a student has Walmart clothing, which I think would be offensive. I'm buying shirts because a child has worn the same one for eight days, it's filthy, and both arm pits have holes the size of my first. The shoes the student is wearing are three sizes too large. You get the idea. I've actually never called to ask a parent for permission. I want it to be a non-issue. No big deal. Thankfully it never has been a problem...

Back to PJs, we didn't wear them growing up. I thought it was only something rich people did. I went to a friend's house once and their entire family wore PJs and I felt like I had jumped right into a story book or The Brady Bunch. I was in such awe, which just cracks me up now. :haha:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

How about sweats and slipper socks-- the kind with the no-slip soles? Or sweats and a robe? Less intimate but still "pajama-ish"

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2010

Talk to the school counselor. She could see if the parent needs help. You could do a clothing drive for child. I did that last yr for a little girl in my class. Her parents were really greatful.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 21, 2010

I will check with the school counselor. If he was still with his mom I wouldn't question getting him anything b/c I know she would be ok with it. He has been with his dad a month and all his things are at his mom's place and he is unabe to get any of his things.
    We have provided him a bookbag, hat, gloves and such..
    I will mention sweats and a tee shirt to him.

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2010

My son doesn't wear pjs on pj day at school, even though he has lots. Along the lines of pjs being intimate, my husband feels that they are not appropriate to wear to school, even if it is a "fun" day or the class "earned" the chance to wear them to school.

However, I see nothing wrong with buying a pair for him. If dad is offended and sends them back, just apologize and move on.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

Hmmm....we buy underwear and bras for our students. We have even gone as far as to buy sanitary napkins, deodorant and soap. We have permission from the swimming pool across the street from our school to bring in some of our students who need a shower. One of our teachers even reminds a single father to buy personal products for his daughter.

19. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 21, 2010

My guys all wear boxers too (or so they say, I dunno.) Typically on PJ day, they'll either come in sweat pants and a tshirt, or in some cases they'll actually wear (clean!) boxers over a pair of jeans- admin doesn't seem to mind that solution.

Proud2beateacher, I like your idea of getting the student a cheap set of PJs, but if that doesn't materialize, you could always encgourage him to wear his sweats- lots of guys wear them to bed (that, or boxers apparently).

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

We do as well. PJs just don't seem intimate to me...

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2010

I always wore a night gown or t-shirt to bed when I was growing up. Now I wear a t-shirt and shorts.

I do own about six sets of pjs, and another five pairs of flannel bottoms.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2010

We had PJ day our last day (Thursday). One of my kids didn't wear them because he didn't have any (He also never knows where he's going to be, with dad, mom, aunt and uncle, grandpa, or friend of family.) I had bought a few pair of cheap PJ pants and told the ones that didn't have any that they were old ones from my nephew. If they fit them, they were welcome to keep them. (I also have some that are supposedly from my niece.)

23. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Dec 28, 2010

Yeah, that... pjs are intimate apparel and I really discourage my own kids from wearing their pjs to school. I tell them it's like Mommy wearing her nightie to teach in... ick and inappropriate!