WWYD with a chalk board?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by TXteacher51, Jul 28, 2010.

1. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I have a white board in the front of my room and TONS of bulletin boards, too. Across the back of my room is a chalk board. I hate chalk and I hate chalk boards. So I MUST MUST MUST cover it. Any creative ideas? I was thinking I could cover it in posters... but I have plenty of space in my room to put posters and other such items.

I was also thinking about covering it in paper and letting the kids work problems or even just doodle on it (maybe as a reward...). I know that would mean recovering it ever few weeks, but I found the paper at the $ store so it wouldn't be too expensive. What do you guys think?? Bad idea?

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

Get the Art teacher to do a mural in chalk and leave it up all year.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

Is it magnetic? I'd cover and use as an interactive board. Magnets make it easy to change things out or hang things up.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 29, 2010

Could you hang pocket charts over it? Or place shelves/cabinets in front of it? Personally, it would bug me to have the kids "doodle" on it. The mural is a neat idea, however, I would hate to see a student mess it up.

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

I have a plain ol' chalk board as well. I bought two smaller white boards and use it for extra announcements, etc. However, this year i decided to use it to add more color to the room so I went and bought fabric to cover it. I am hoping it looks good. Throughout the year I can add the students work on their, word wall, etc. But at least the background is cute. Just a thought.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Have you asked if it can be removed? Perhaps they could put a velcro wall in its place so that you can hang some of the kids up if they're driving you crazy.

I am just kidding of course ;).

I would tend to go with covering it somehow. Perhaps cover it in White Paper then have student make black shadow outlines of their body or just there head (depending on how much room) and then have them do collages of things that they like or mean something to them on the shadows and put them up. On the back of the shadows attach a piece of white paper and make a "time capsule page" where they fill out things like their height, age, weight, interests, friends...etc. and things they would like to accomplish this year. When you take them down at the end of year they will have fun looking at what they wrote at the beginning of the year.

8. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going up today to figure it out!

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

I wonder if you could have it removed as well?

I'm short on wall space but big on cupboard and window area, so I have bulletin board/board space envy. I was thinking a place to hang kids work too.

Have fun figuring out! :)

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

They do sell dry erase paper on rolls that you could use to cover it. One of my incentives the kids loved was writing their name on the window. Perhaps you could use this board for something like that. They make that cool chalk marker stuff now & I think it's not as dusty. :D

11. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Cool Idea CMW!!! I covered it with paper, but could still make some changes later in the year. Love the idea of just letting them write their name on it! :)

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

How about a timeline of the year. Here's the only pic I could find quickly from mine. You could set it up now with spaces for each month and either add pictures or words to show what you did each month. It comes in VERY handy for the spring open house.[​IMG]

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

14. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

LOVE the time line!!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!! I'm doing it!

15. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I love all of the ideas!

However, my favorite is the timeline idea also! You could put floating pictures & pop-out words on the pages and it could end up looking really cool! And it still works with a theme if you have a theme.

16. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I don't really have a "theme" but our school theme for the year is "Wild about learning" so I have a lot of animal print in my room. I guess that's my theme!