WWYD? Qualifications without the adv endorsement

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vateacher757, Aug 4, 2015.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

My district has 3 positions avail (1 at high school 2 at middle school) that asks for an endorsement I do not have.....the kicker is the position requires NO teaching so I am perplexed as to why they would require a license that requires to pay at a higher amount.

I already work for the district with the opening.

This position was created about 3-4 years ago when our alt school was closed.....there are 6 total positions and in that time out of the 6 position there is only 1 employee that has been there the entire time (he is not licensed but got the position because he was at the school that was closing) most of the new hires last 1-2 years and then they are refilling the position. My take is due to the endorsement that they request (Admin/Supervision) they generally leave to become AP or Principal somewhere else. Huge waste of money imo that could be used elsewhere in the schools. 5 of our 6 schools that have this position have restaffed this position at the minimum 2 times since its creation.

Anywhooo..................Based on the listed job requirements I can do or have done that in the past and feel more than confident I CAN do the job. I don't know who to approach, HR Rep for position and/or hiring Principal, with an email selling myself and asking for an interview.

Any thoughts? Suggestions as to wording of email to get their attention and hopefully obtain an interview.

TIA

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

What do you mean by adv endorsement? I don't know if that's special to VA but there must be a reason they want a certified person. Maybe because they want to move people around eventually. Is there an online application or do you have to send cover letter and resume. You could that info in the cover letter. You could call HR and see if there's any chance you'd get hired without certification.

4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

Adv Endorsement = advertised endorsement (sorry)

There is an online application that I have completed and attached resume and cover letter. IF they pull applications of those who have the endorsement then I won't even get a look :( If they look at qualifications (job duties and responsibilities) then I have a chance of getting a look.

The purpose of the position is to work (motivate) with those students who may need an extra person in their corner to make sure they graduate.....in middles school you work with a caseload of 6-8 graders in high school 9-12 grade. You teach nothing, you don't meet with the students to reteach, or give extra help etc etc (anyway the person in the school I work at does none of that) so because of what I see I have a bunch of ideas I would implement to work with the kids on the caseload and follow them all 3 or 4 years to assist with getting them graduated and life after.

All I seem to hear is "we just got to get them graduated" well in my opinion there is much more to it than just getting them graduated. kwm?

If you need to build rapport with the students and their families there should not be any moving around during those critical years.....again jmo.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

Hmm interesting job description. if you could find the principal's email addressi say go for it.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

Would you mention in the email that although you do not have said endorsement blah blah blah blah?

My cover letter mentions being a product of the city and actually knowing more than likely many of the parents, which I think is a plus for the position but I don't know how to overcome NOT having the endorsement they require which in all honesty I think is used as a weeding out tool, lowering the applicant pool.