WWTD? "Carpooling" (i.e. YOU as the driver) with co-workers during NY gas crisis

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Nov 6, 2012.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 6, 2012

My commute is about 40 miles round trip each day.

My good friend and co-worker lives around the corner from me. We tried carpooling for a month (I drove, paid for gas and parking, and we were to switch off the following month). It didn't work out, and we've been driving on our own since.

With Sandy, she said she doesn't have enough gas to get to work. I offered to drive her yesterday, and she said she offered another co-worker a ride as well. I didn't want to, but I said I would only if she could get a ride to my house since she is not on the way. They both are saying they have 1/4 tank of gas.

I realized today they are expecting me to drive all week. They are not offering money for gas, or even a "thank you". I parked at my house today & my co-worker seemed annoyed she had to walk down the block to her house. They want me to go in & leave on their schedule. They lower the heat after I raise it. I'm feeling incredibly unappreciated.

Today driving home I realized that they aren't making ANY effort to fill up their tanks because of the lines. However, I will have to wait on the lines to fill up MY tank on MY time and on MY dime. (Yes, I know that I would need to fill up regardless of whether or not I drive them, but the fact that they are making NO effort to get gas is what is frustrating.)

Thoughts? How do I handle it? I really don't want to continue driving them, it is making me very frustrated at home I am being treated and anxious because I want to say something but can't. I was up at 1 am this morning worrying over this.

ETA: The 2nd co-worker didn't want to go in as early as I was today, so she was able to get herself in. Again tomorrow both co-workers need to be somewhere after work, and they are able to get themselves there.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 6, 2012

If they've been able to get themselves in and there is gas available then I would politely say that I really need to be in at x time and if that didn't work then I was sorry but I wouldn't be able to drive them.

I don't carpool for a lot of reasons. The top one is no one lives in the same city as me :lol: However, I probably still wouldn't carpool because I like to arrive about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes before we have to be at school. I get all my work done and then I leave shortly after the kids. I do this so I can ride the horsey before it gets dark. Otherwise I just have zero motivation.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

You need to be frank with them and tell them you need gas money. No money/toll sharing, no ride. Its that simple.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 6, 2012

Sounds like you are going to have to tell them that you need gas money or you can't take them. Also let them know when you are leaving home and school. They either agree or find another way there.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

Yea, no way....if they have 1/4 of a tank then they should drive you the next day.....this gas situation has to get better, right???

Also I would have done every other day not every other month....that is abusive. I couldn't not offer $$ either, what's wrong with them.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 6, 2012

It had to be monthly because we pay for a parking garage by our school.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

Oh that makes sense...just rude of this person to not offer to pay half.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

We used to drive into NYC FOR PD AT Columbia...we'd ALWAYS chip in for tolls and parking...to not offer when carpooling everyday for a month is just rude. Maybe they figure they'll bear the cost when it's their turn though?

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

I would not drive them unless they helped pay for gas, especially since your coworker has taken advantage of the situation before.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2012

If you are able to somehow get gas then so should they. It's not fair to you at all. Yes, they will have to wait on line. Tough cookies.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

So when you arent carpooling, they each have to pay to park their car and for gas...sharing the costs saves everyone 67%.:)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2012

I think any time you carpool, gas crisis or not, then there needs to be some rules.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

I agree.

My student teaching placement was in a rural school about 45 minutes away. Another girl was also placed there. We lived somewhat near each other, so we carpooled. No money exchanged hands for gas or anything else. Instead, I'd drive one week, she'd drive the next. It evened out, with each of us driving half (and therefore paying for our own gas and car maintenance on our own). It was a great setup for both of us.