WWII Articles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Honey1021, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Honey1021

Honey1021 Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

My 4th graders are reading Number the Stars right now and they know nothing at all about WWII except what the boys have learned through video games. Does anyone have any age appropriate articles that would be a good intro to that or the Holocaust?

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 19, 2008

It seems strange to me when students show how little they know about WWII simply because I grew up hearing about it referred to often. I guess it just shows we are getting farther and farther from the event. It was such a defining event of the century that it always surprises me when kids today don't know what it was about or who was involved. I'll see what I can find to help you.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 19, 2008

5. stavb

stavb Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

Which video games do they use? It would be interesting to somehow incorporate the video game into a lesson plan.

6. stavb

stavb Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

Oh also, I'm not supposed to post links, but I use the scholastic dot com website for their "World War II Remembered" content. If you do a search on their site for World War Two, it is the first link and has content about the home front, Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, and Anne Frank.

Hope that's helpful!

Stav

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2008

Just FYI on the book. My mother in law lived a very similar life to the little girl in the book. She lived in Copenhagen and the family in the apartment next door disappeared. She and her mother watered their plants for years hoping they would return. Her father and her sister's husband were a big part of the resistance movement. The Tivoli park is delightful and inspired Walt Disney - specifically the Small world ride. The book is deadly accurate. have fun with it!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 20, 2008

How interesting! Thanks for sharing Maryhf. I'll be sure to tell my students just how accurate the book is. I know we have the set somewhere in the school.

9. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

I ran into a bunch of old WWII newspapers which were printed during WWII in England. A friend was throwing them out. It was an excellent primary resource the students got to examine. We looked at ads, editorials, headlines, and advice... even cooking tips for rationing. It really sunk in and helped them visualize what the time period must have been like.

I think Ebay has some old copies for sale.

My students refer to video games too! :LOL: maybe they aren't half bad after all.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I think it would be really cool if one of your kids had a grandparent that served in WWII and that person could come in and share some age appropriate stories and their pictures with the class. My dad has done this for schools in Wisconsin. There are also some very nice veteran audio interviews you can get.

I was trying to find the article on the internet that had interviews from my dad and other WWII vets along with middle school students comparing the 9-11 attacks and Pearl Harbor. It was really neat but I can not find it anywhere. I used to pull it up easily and I see it nowhere:(

11. stavb

stavb Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

If your kids do interview a grandparent and write something about their experiences, you have have them publish their work online at teacherscholastic.com / activities/ writing/ publish/ readsch.asp?tsid=WWII (just take out the spaces)

12. stavb

stavb Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

sorry that's teacher.scholastic. com