WTF? 3:30PM?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by redtop, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 1, 2013

It is not an abnormal thing for an employer not to be able to interview ANY day after 3:30. Like many people have already told you, it is an employer's market. They have the upper hand. This isn't about right or wrong, it's about accepting how things are done and figuring out what hoops YOU (oops, I mean your wife) are willing to jump through to gain employment.

With that sort of attitude, though, I question her chances in an already difficult market. Remember: what you are complaining about, many other people likely already said "yes" to without hesitation.

I recently had to use two half personal days for interviews. No, the principal did not have any times available outside of the school day. I work in a school full time, but I did what I had to do in this case. Most of us do.

2. ayla

ayla Companion

May 1, 2013

I usually do interviews during my planning if they are wanting phone interviews during school hours. I let them know exactly how long my planning is and that is all the time I have and they have been very understanding. You just sugar coat it instead of acting offended and they have no problem (honey / vinegar syndrome). Also other teachers at my school are very understanding and maybe they could help her out. Good luck :) Of course you may decide this is not the district for you based on how they are conducting themselves, that is your choice.

3. redtop

redtop Companion

May 8, 2013

The Interview

OK, let's see what anyone thinks of this

My wife took a half-day to do a 10AM Skype interview. She had been told the interview would last 30-60 minutes. At 9AM she got the following email:

"Dear Ms. Redtop:

You have an impressive resume for French education! Although we are scheduled for an interview today some requirements have not been met for employment in the state of Pennsyltucky. Please be advised that the state only accepts evaluations from an approved evaluation service (see attached). In addition, you have not provided me with a copy of your Texafornia license. If these documents are not available we will have to reschedule the interview for a later time. Please let me know if you have questions."

When I looked online, I found that the website limited applicants to 5 attachments with a maximum size of 1MB. I had already uploaded documents with her resume, transcripts, cover letter, and test scores. The "evaluation" scanned to 5MB, and could not be uploaded. I had uploaded a "placeholder" page saying "The licenses and evaluation would not fit on the website, I'll be happy to send them to another address if you give me one."

At 9:05 we wrote back to the interviewer, sending copies of the documents. At 10AM the Skype call did not come. As of 10:30, my wife called and the interviewer was "busy talking to an administrator" and would not be able to start the interview until after she had reviewed the documents. My wife had booked a substitute teacher for a half-day and if she did not get to school on time, there would be no one to cover her classes.

In short, the interviewer failed to review her file before an hour before the interview, then decided not to hold the interview if she didn't get the documents first, even though she knew the documents existed. Then, instead of checking her email, she went to do other things until at least a half-hour after the scheduled start time for the interview.

This thread has already taken this interviewer to task for being inflexible with scheduling. What are your opinions, given what happened today, of her professionalism and courtesy?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2013

It sounds like maybe you should have done your own due diligence and reduced the size of the 5 MB file to something more manageable.

5. redtop

redtop Companion

May 8, 2013

The document in question was a "foreign transcript evaluation" printed on paper with the name of the company in squiggly little lines all up and down the page, presumably as an anti-counterfeitting measure. Tinkering with it could have given the appearance that it was a forgery. I assume the reason it scanned to such a large size was due to the amount of detail on the pages.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 8, 2013

This, for sure. 1MB is not an unreasonable size for a file. This is easily fixed by using different scan settings or converting the document.

Instead of uploading a placeholder, a better option would have been to call HR yourself to ask for an alternate solution. I've done this myself when a school system had an impossible, horrible MS Explorer only online system that wouldn't work with my Mac. They gave me a fax number, I faxed my documents, and I was later hired to teach GED classes.

I'm curious why you are the one doing all of this though--why isn't she?

eta: most transcripts are printed on that sort of paper. Black and white scans will work just fine. HR doesn't care about the legitimacy of your documents unless you are hired, at which time they most likely make their own copies of the originals.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 8, 2013

Is this job in the same state you complained about previously for not accepting the evaluation of her credentials because it had not been done by an approved source?

8. bison

bison Habitué

May 8, 2013

I've scanned transcripts on that type of paper with no issue. The file size does not need to be that big. You should be able to tinker with the scan settings to lower the file size beforehand.

9. redtop

redtop Companion

May 14, 2013

Another district asked to interview Mrs. Redtop. She offered them a choice of 3:30 or later by phone or 4:00 or later by Skype. She's interviewing with them later this week on Skype at 4:00.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

Am I correct that it's not imperative that Mrs. Redtop obtain new employment? I ask because I can't imagine "giving" a potential employer two specific options.

11. redtop

redtop Companion

May 14, 2013

Why would you not give them options?

Since the other post, she was asked for another interview. We gave them options of this Wednesday or Friday or next Tuesday or Wednesday at 3:30/4:00 (phone vs. Skype), anytime next Monday, or next Friday between noon and 2PM in person.

Why wouldn't you do that? How else do you set up a meeting, interview, golf game, date, or anything else? You compare calendars.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

I let them give me options.

ETA: Maybe they asked her what would work best. If so, wonderful. I was just assuming it wasn't like that but could have misread the situation.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

I always let them give me options, as well. I pick which suits me the best, even if it takes sacrifices.

A lot of schools where I am applying include the interview date(s) in the job posting. You may or may not get to pick your time.
    Since most schools do panels now, you have to work around all of their schedules. The last panel I served on was 9 people. I was recently interviewed by a 12 person panel. That would be a lot of arranging for 1 person...

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 14, 2013

I've heard of helicopter parents, but I think red is a helicopter spouse.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2013

:lol:

16. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 14, 2013

Funny, I said the same exact thing in another one of his threads. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.