Wrong Grade Level

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by PinkFish, Feb 1, 2009.

1. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

So I am sitting here at my computer feeling depressed because my weekend is almost over! I really wish I could love my job but the grade level is all wrong! I student taught in 5th grade and then in 2nd grade. I loved every min I was in my 5th grade placement. I loved that they were independent and could think for themselves. I could give them a project and they would get to work. When I went to my 2nd grade placement it was clear from the first day that it was not for me. I love the older students, while the younger ones tend to get on my nerves and drive me insane. Well needless to say I signed a letter of intent with my district before I knew what grade level I would be in (never again will I do that!!!) and low and behold I was placed in 2nd grade! I want to love my job but my students get on my last nerve. I feel like an awful person because I know that they are only in 2nd grade and can't help it but they still drive me nuts! I have no time in the day to get anything done because my students are completely dependent on me! Whats even more depressing is that if I stay with the district next year I will be forced to stay in my current grade level. Is anyone else feeling like they are teaching in the wrong grade level????

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

I taught kinder and 2nd grade. I know I'm not cut out for the lower grades. Anything above 3rd grade would be the perfect fit for me. We'll see what I get this year (if anything).

4. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

Anyone who can teach lower elementary without losing their minds is a saint! I am just counting down the 122 more days until summer...

5. smalltowngal

Feb 1, 2009

2nd grade wasn't THAT bad, but I did my student teaching in a 3rd grade and kinder classroom. I was much more comfortable in the 3rd grade classroom. I think I do best when I only have 1 or 2 subjects to teach so even middle school is looking good. And one reason why I added on the 4-8 English/Reading/SS cert to my certification.

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

In Iowa I am certified k-8 social studies, but I teach in Texas and I am not certified for anything higher than 4th.... I wish Texas certification was more like Iowa's because then I could teach in a higher grade level next year.

7. smalltowngal

Feb 1, 2009

The year before I was to graduate the certification was 1-8, but they changed it for my program to EC-4. All you have to do is take the certification exam and pass in order to teach the higher grade levels. That's what I did.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2009

I sympathize, PinkFish. I know that anything below grade 4 would make me twitch! However, I know that I can be called upon to teach anything that I am qualified for--for me JK-grade 10 or Special Ed. Every year I am asked to indicate my top 3 choices for my assignment, but there are no guarantees and things can always change depending on enrollment numbers. As smalltowngal said, getting certification for higher levels may be a good idea as it gives you more opportunities.

9. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Feb 3, 2009

I can totally relate! I had every intention of teaching high school English but the only job offer I got was middle school ELA. While its been a great experience, I'm having a hard time dealing with similar things (they are way more dependent than hs students and the immaturity can be grating). All I can say is hold on to your job but keep an eye out for another opportunity. In this economy, it would crazy to give up a position even if its not perfect. Hopefully something will come along this summer and you'll be where you want to be next year! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

I've taught many different grade levels over the years and now that I've landed 5th grade, I know that this is the grade for me. I'm 9 years into teaching so it was a long time coming. Hang in there and try out the grades offered to you. Hopefully, the right fit will come along. I knew as a k-9 certified teacher with middle school endorsements, I could teach any grade from year to year. I am keeping my fingers crossed and doing a great job this year so that I will be asked to teach 5th again next year. I don't know why some principals love to switch everyone around every year. I just want to get good at one grade!!

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 3, 2009

I am so sorry that you do not love second grade! I have to say that I taught kinder for years before i was in Second, and I NEVER thought I would love second, but after a couple of weeks, at it, it sooo grew on me, it is a great and fun grade to teach. They are young but, moldable, they are independent but they still need you. They work hard to impress you and they love their teacher. I hope you can come to love it. Because, honestly, the kids deserve a teacher who is commited to them and who loves what she does, it is not fair to the kids to have a teacher who does not like what they do.

It always makes me sad to hear that there are teachers spending time with kids, and they do not like it. Kids just need someone who cares.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 3, 2009

I thought I LOVED 5th grade because I truly enjoyed my student teaching placement. I LOVE my lower grades atm. I dread the 4th and 5th grades. I really think it depends on the school/class.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 4, 2009

I think it depends a lot on the class, as well. My kindergarteners are completely independent during our literacy center time, for example. They work quietly and transition to new centers for 45 minutes with very little help from me.

If you think 2nd grade is crazy, you should come in MY classroom someday. :lol:

14. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 4, 2009

Talk to your principal and let them know. Maybe there will be an opening next year.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

I have taught kindergarten to 8th grade and love Kindergarten and middle school math 6th to 8th grade. Is that weird?

16. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

Jaime- I teach math, science, and social studies. I think math is so very fun to teach! Its just the younger kids that do me in! Math is so fun because you can teach through games and they don't realize they are learning when they are having fun!

17. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

If you do not like where you are, you need to look into other options for yourself and your kids. Talk with other teachers in your school. If someone retires or moves to a new grade level, you can have an option to move grade levels since you are employed in the district. They will give you first choice before they open up the job to anyone.