Wrong Book-not Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teach_4_ever, Aug 5, 2010.

1. teach_4_ever

teach_4_ever Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

So during my interview the principal told me the book 7th grade reads over summer is The Hunger Games. Well, I got a text from the head of the reading department. Apparently, the kids don't read the Hunger Games. They read The Lightning Thief. I was already on page 188! It's okay though. I wanted to read HG anyway.

So, my question is... Has anyone read The Lightning Thief? Taught it? I could tie a lot of Greek Mythology.

3. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I read the Lightening Thief a few years ago because a student insisted I read it. I liked it, but I haven't read any of the rest of the series yet. I did see the movie, and liked it as well, but it does not follow the book. One of my friends taught it with her 6th grade pre-ap classes last year and she did a lot of Greek Myths with it.

4. teach_4_ever

teach_4_ever Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I just found on the author's website a teacher's guide. It looks really good. scholastic also has extension activities and literature circle questions.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

The Lightning Thief is on my pile of books to read this summer, but I'm not sure I'll get to it. A lot of my students read it last year because of the movie release, and all said they enjoyed it!

6. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 6, 2010

I really enjoyed The Lightning Thief! I want to read the other books in the series. Our English 1 Honors class is reading it in conjunction with The Odyssey this year. Greek Mythology is not something I've really enjoyed teaching, but reading that book has made it more appealing for me. The writing style reminds me of Harry Potter.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

I've read the first 3 Lightening Thief books.. my library didn't have 4 when i went in, and I like to read series books in order. I really enjoyed them... I think it's a great way to introduce some of the greek mythology in a way that's actually fun for the kids and makes it seem more relevent.

On a side note, I REALLY like Hunger Games and can't wait for the 3rd part of the trilogy to come out!!!

8. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I really liked The Lightening Thief! It was a pretty quick read, so even if you haven't started it, you'll be able to get through it. It had great mythology stuff in it! I learned so much about a topic I know very little about. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I always am so disappointed by movies after reading the book anyway!

9. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Lightning Thief is good. The format is similar to Harry Potter - kid who thinks he's nothing special finds out he has powers, goes off to a secret place where powers are developed, etc. The author actually makes a joke about the similarities at the end of the first book. I've read all but the second one and I really enjoy them. Be aware that the movie was recently released - you may want to try to watch it so you know who did the reading for real!

10. typhanee

typhanee New Member

Aug 13, 2010

First, the Hunger Games was AMAZING! I'm on the edge of my seat for Mockingjay (the 3rd and final book) to come out on the 24th...it's too bad I have to teach that day...silly children interrupt my reading schedule. :)
    Anyway, I also read the first 4 Percy Jackson books. They're great. The movie (I've heard...not seen) was terrible (didn't follow the book). It incorporates the Greek Myths into modern times and uses being a demigod ("half blood") as a "reason" for having ADHD (improves battle skills).
    I taught very remedial intensive reading for the past 4 years with low level high schoolers and they LOVE the books.