Written up at work for my college courses?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Gardener, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Master Gardener

Master Gardener Rookie

Jan 20, 2014

I have been working at this preschool for a few weeks now. The director and I do not have a good relationship with each other. However, I have done nothing to warrant the treatment I get from her on a daily basis. So on Thursday of last week, it was announced that there was a mandatory staff meeting. I had no problem with this until this past weekend. The website that my college uses for online courses basically shut down for the whole weekend and the holiday to repair glitches. In addition, there has a been a forewarning announcement from the site that there will be another system shutdown for this coming weekend to fix more glitches and incompatibility issues.

So one of my professors sends out an email says that he wants a particular project to be complete by this Wednesday and he will have the grades submitted by Friday. I am only in my second week of the semester, but this project is worth a lot of points. So only have today and tomorrow to do it. I told my boss that I couldn't make it to the meeting because I had to complete this project.

She said that I had to come or I would be written up. There are other people who will not be coming to the meeting and she told them that she would go over the information with them when they got back. However, she refuses to give me the same courtesy. Before I got this job, I made sure that I let her and everyone else know that my schooling is my main concern. She told me that my schooling isn't important as my job. I have been working on this degree for four years and my internship and graduation is a few months away. I have sunken thousands of dollars and time into this degree. I have a good GPA and I refuse to rush more than I have to about this project and get a bad grade.

So I told her that I will take the write-up because my schooling is important to me. This is very serious to me because I have never been written up before in my life. Not at work or even back when I went to school as a child. The more and more I think about it, I can't believe this is happening. There are plenty of people at my job who are working on their degrees and she accomodates them left and right especially for meetings, but I am the one who gets punished because of something that is out of my control?

She told others who weren't coming that the meeting wasn't very important. Just formalities she said, but she turns around and tells me that it is important and I have to be there or I will be punished accordingly. One of the people who won't be coming to the meeting is my co-teacher, so it's not like the important is relevant to my classroom in particular.

She talked down to me in a very condescending tone as if I was a two-year-old or something.

Tomorrow, I am going to talk to her and I have decided that when she does write me up, I will write my statement but I will refuse to sign the document because that would mean that I am admitting that I did something wrong and I have done nothing wrong. At this point, I don't care if I am terminated for insubordination because my schooling is more important. I am never late to work. I am always early. I always clock in early when they need me, which is all of the time. I always go out of my way to help everyone with anything they need. I always stay late if needed when no one else will.

Am I doing the right thing?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Before I answer your question, I have some questions and comments for you:

How long is this staff meeting? It is one day a week, correct?

If I were to presume the meeting wasn't more than 1-2 hours, is that 1-2 hours really going to make a huge difference in your project?

If you really don't care if you are terminated, why don't you have a polite conversation with your director stating that you need to focus on your education and you will have to either cut your hours, or regrettably resign? You really don't want to burn bridges before you start your journey, do you?

Put yourself in your director's shoes. It sounds like a meeting that she has deemed important for the staff is going to be poorly attended. How would you handle that?

Is it really your director's responsibility, and should she really care, if your college has technology issues? Isn't her responsibility to run the center in the best manner possible?

Ignore what you perceive others' treatment to be. In reality, you don't know every detail about what they get to do and not get to do.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jan 20, 2014

I think it sounds like it's time for you to move on from this job. If you can't find a way to manage your time to include these meetings, you should find a job that is more accommodating to your schedule. It is not your director's problem that you want to use the time to work on an assignment nor is it really your concern what your coworkers are doing. I do understand the frustration that can come from feeling like others are being given special treatment that you aren't privy to, but being the most professional thing you can do is worry about yourself and only yourself.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

The only person that matters in this situation is you. What your co-workers are/are not permitted to do is irrelevant. You were told about a mandatory staff meeting, and you are skipping that staff meeting to work on school work. Not to attend a class. To work on school work. I'd be angry too if I were your director.

Did it ever occur to you that your director might be extending "privileges" to others because they are actually attending class? Or because they had been there for longer and thus already knew many of the things being covered? You said that you're new... every year, I sit through staff meetings that are largely rehashes of previous years staff meetings, and I can say for a fact that my boss would be much more agreeable to me not attending those staff meetings than she would a new teacher. Heck, even if it is blatant favoritism and they are going to go do exactly the same thing as you, that still isn't relevant. This is between you and your director, not you and your co-workers.

I'm also not seeing why you only have today and tomorrow to work on this. Did you not have an online syllabus before? If there really were technical issues that made it IMPOSSIBLE for you to do the project with the site down, you should talk to your professor, considering that others had the same issue. If you weren't able to work because the directions had previously been online and you just didn't get them before the site went down... well, I'd put that on you.

6. Master Gardener

Master Gardener Rookie

Jan 21, 2014

I did talk to the professor. The technical issues were out of everyone's control, but he won't budge on the due date. What am I suppose to do? If my professor releases the modules online weekly and in advance, how was I suppose to work on the project in advance considering last week was all orientation and introductions?

I am trying to figure out how exactly is any of this my fault. This project is a very length project divided into three parts. I did half of it tonight and I have to do the other half tomorrow night which is when the meeting will take place, as suppose to rushing home on Wednesday night to finish everything up and submitting it.

But please remember that I said that my director treats me horribly hence why I said we do not have a good relationship. She talks me in condescending tones and she treats me like a child compared to the other employees. She gossips about me behind my back as well.

If she hired me knowing in advance that I told her my schooling takes priority (from my field experience to my assignments) and she agreed to it happily and said she would accommodate me and now she won't, I shouldn't hold her to it?

To add: There are several employees who are taking online courses too that she has accommodated.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

Again, how long is this meeting? Anything less than an all-nighter is no excuse to not have your work done by Wednesday. Sorry. When I was in college, I had a 3-year old, a full time job, a husband, and a life. I spent many nights, til 3 or 4 am, working on various projects. I had to leave my house at 6:30 am. Some nights, I just skipped sleep. You do what you have to do.

Since you didn't mention when the meeting takes place, I'll make some assumptions. Let's say your center is open til 6. A meeting until 7 or 8, perhaps an hour commute home, that still puts you home at 9 or before. That's time.

I'm not surprised the prof won't budge on the due date. His job is to conduct the class, not based around various students' schedules. Did he post the project today? An in-depth project with 3 parts? If not, then that's on you. Sorry again. You should have planned ahead. And, you're now half done. And you have tomorrow night (after the meeting) and Wednesday night. You don't always get ample time to complete projects. Again, you do what you have to do.

Your director hired you to do a job, part of which includes attending announced meetings (this one, it should be noted, was announced 5 days in advance). She may have said she understood that your schooling takes priority, but that doesn't have to include just not requiring you to do the job. She accommodated you by giving you 5 days advance notice.

It's your perception that the director treats you "horribly". That may or may not be true, I don't know, but you do have a choice-learn to live with her and her personality, or quit. Simple.

It's not about whose "fault" this is. It's really not anyone's fault. It's a circumstance, one that you don't like the options.

1. You signed up to take a class, and agreed to do the work as assigned by the professor
    2. You took a job, and agreed to do the work as assigned by the director
    3. Your professor agreed to teach a class, and require his students to complete various projects
    4. Your director hired you to work in a center, and require her employees to perform job duties, which may include attending staff meetings.

All of those circumstances are completely independent of each other. The common denominator, however...is you.

You get to decide what your priorities are, and how you will complete your tasks. You also get to live with the consequences.

Oh, and again...what other employees do or get is none of your concern.

8. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jan 21, 2014

I second everything that has been said.

I understand that technical glitches are frustrating. Trust me, I do as I've taken online courses before. However, that is honestly just a part of life.

You may just be looking at an all-nighter. Does that stink? Yes. However, those all-nighters won't be going away anytime soon. In fact since I've started teaching, I've had less sleep than I did in college while holding down a job.

You can still make school a high priority while making sure that you are meeting the expectations of your job. I worked a full time job while going to college full time. I promise that it can be done, but sometimes sacrifices, such as sleep, need to be made.

I may be wrong, but I am assuming that you are going into education, correct? If so, this job will look wonderful on your resume, so it's important to not burn any bridges.

9. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 21, 2014

I personally would not of missed the meeting. I've been teaching preschool for 9 years and never attended a staff meeting longer than 2 hours. If I was told I would be written up (although I would never ask to miss for a school project) I would of attended the meeting and then stayed up 2 hours later or woke up earlier to work on my project. I worked 3 jobs while going to school, I lost a lot of sleep but all of my school work was completed and I met all expectations of my 3 jobs.

If you aren't happy with your job or the way your director treats you, I would look for a new job.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 21, 2014

I know it's overwhelming to be in school and working at the same time, I really do. A couple of years ago, I was finishing up my SPED cert, taking 3 demanding grad classes, performing my duties as a first year resource room teacher in a very demanding district, and trying to be a good wife, mother to two kids, and maintain a well-functioning household. I can tell you right now that I often barely slept. Sometimes I would go to bed at 4 and get up at 6. My principal would have fallen over in shock if I had dared asked to miss a staff meeting - we had them nearly every week - for any reason other than severe illness.

I'm sorry your employer is mistreating you. I agree that if you are unhappy there and/or unable to do what is asked and complete your coursework, perhaps it is best to seek another job.

Good luck to you! Congratulations on being almost done with school. :)

11. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 21, 2014

I've had something similar to this happen to me before. I think you just have to hold your head a little higher,get your work done, and move on. This supervisor is trying to get the best of you. Don't show her she can. I made it through my situation and I no longer work for that person. Her desire to see me not accomplish my goal hurt no one but herself. I successfully finished my course. She lost a good employee, and my respect for her. Good luck with getting past this. You'll look back later and see the positives.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2014

Master Gardener, you wrote in August of quitting your last job because it was making your life a 'living heck' and it was a 'hostile' environment. If you do leave this current position, you may want to really make sure the next position/leadership are a good fit for you. Good luck.

13. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 21, 2014

I definitely would've attended the meeting and stayed up an extra hour or two to compensate for it that night.

I have a similar predicament right now:

1. Mandatory open-house at my school 6-730. Penalty? I wouldn't dare ask.
    2. Mandatory online class meeting for my graduate methods course, 6-9 pm. Penalty? Loss of 30 points on the module.

And the drive home is one hour.

I will be attending the last 30 minutes of class after the open house and drive home...

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

To me, this is a reasonable time to ask off though. You have a very specific time that you off to be there.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

AJM, can you bring your computer and join your online discussion from school? That's what I would ask, rather than driving home first. Good luck-you'll make it work!

16. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

Honestly, it's no one's fault, but you've got to understand that your job has no communication with your college. They are two separate entities that you shouldn't expect to bend around one another. If they happen to, then that's great, but I would never expect them to.