Written Reports- Don't know where to start?! Please help.

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ms_teacher, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Oct 9, 2007

Hi!! I'm a first year 5th grade teacher. I want my students to do reports on an influential/important person of Hispanic heritage for Hispanic Heritage month. If I give them the info this week, they will have about 2 weeks to complete (due on the 24th)

Sooo... I really need your help:help:
    I would like for them to work in groups of 3.
    I need them to use resources such as the computer and library and not plagarize!!
    The report will consist of an oral presentation (where a student in the group will dress up as the person). And a written part. Problem is what should be in the written part???? They are working in groups, so the written part should be substantial enough so that 3 people will have an equal amount of work....

Rubrics (anyone have one in place?) Actual report checklist for students and parents (anyone have one?)

I sooo appreciate the ideas and assistance on this site... PLEASE HELP!!!:help:

THX!!!

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 9, 2007

there are some websites where you can make a rubric for free like http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php. they have some templates already available that may help you figure out more specific criteria. perhaps to make sure that students each do their fair share of work, you could assign 3-4 questions that each student must answer... maybe one student could be in charge of finding out about the person's early life, while another must describe some important events when the person was an adult, and the third must discuss the effect of the person's actions? that way you could also assign questions/research based on ability to a certain degree.

to make sure students cite resources, make it part of your criteria and make sure to be EXPLICIT as to how it should look... on a recent project, several students just wrote "www.google.com" since I didn't think to clarify beforehand. yeesh!

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Oct 14, 2007

Thanks for that website! I have been creating my own rubrics and this website will be so helpful!