writing

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacherfan, Nov 12, 2009.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

Where do you expect your first graders to be in writing? How many sentences should the "average" first grader be able to write independently (on one subject)?

3. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Nov 20, 2009

Five sentences at the most

4. word girl

word girl Rookie

Nov 26, 2009

My 'average' first graders can write anything from one to five sentences at this time of the year. Remember there is a huge range of ability in first grade. Many, many first graders have a slow start but suddenly 'the light bulb' goes on and they get it. Mostly I see this happen in January.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2009

At this time in the year, they should be able to get two sentences of the same topic together such as...
    'It is my mom's birthday. I gave her a new purse.'
    By the end of 1st grade, 5 sentences that stay on the main idea, would be ideal. However, some strong 1st graders still cannot write this much on one topic.

Often they stray from the main idea yet...
    'It is my mom's birthday. I gave her a new purse. My friend has a pink purse. Pink is the best color. It is white and red mixed.'

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2009

I usually expect 3 to 4 sentences at a minimum, which is what my kids with poorer writing abilities will do. I have several kids who can write much more, though. I agree that staying on topic is definitely challenging for them.