Writing

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by deedee, Oct 18, 2009.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

How long does it take for your students to go through the entire writing process??

It takes mine almost 2 to 2.5 weeks because I dont see them for writing everyday. We start the steps in class but most of the actual writing is done at home.

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

When I was teaching grade 7...

...a painfully long time, some longer than others. The good part of that is that it was worth it. In their learning journals, many wrote that they understand the process much better from having gone through it so thoroughly.

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

painfully long is how I felt too! :haha: But I love that we really go through the process so understand it and actually DO IT!

I have so many of my kids ask me "can I write my rough draft then do my planning"-- ugh! Even though I stress your planning might change as you begin to write....and that its ok!! :)

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I was always that kid that HATED planning and never needed to do it. I could organize my thoughts while I wrote. It helped me a lot when my teachers gave me many ways to plan. I hated "webbing". I would (grudgingly) do an outline of sorts because it was easier to adapt into my paper. If you don't already, can you give your students MANY ways to plan? Leave it open to them. Maybe that would help!

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

thanks ft- ya we are going through many ways to plan - I really dont care how they plan they just need to show me they thought about what they want to write about- the characters they want in the story , the settings, and a glimps into what their plot will be.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009

It takes too long. But if they race through it, the quality suffers.

In March, the students will have to take a two-hour writing test, start to finish. What's the point in cramming it all in that time span?

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 21, 2009

My writing process right now takes about 5 or 6 class periods. We are only writing very short pieces (I'm trying to teach them to focus and be concise) that are only a couple of paragraphs in length. I know it will take some of them close to 3 weeks once we start longer stories and essays.