Writing

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissH225, Sep 26, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

I was just wondering what you are guys are working on in writing. We have been working on topic sentences,details and closing sentences. I have some pretty good writers this year.

Writing has always been the subject that takes me awhile to plan. If anyone wanted to share what they do...even general topics for the year that would be great.

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

we are still working on is it a complete thought, do you have a cap and a punctuation mark...does it have a "who part" (subject) and a "what part" (predicate)....I have about three that still give me fragments and a few that either forget punctuation or put the wrong one...hopefully two more weeks of sentence practice and I'll intro writing a paragraph...we have been talking about main ideas while reading, though...I usually start with how to paragraph so they get the structure down before I start descriptive paragraphs,etc

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 27, 2009

We just finished our second full week of school. The first week of school they wrote out their goals, which we edited and they re-wrote onto a flag, which they painted. It took the whole week.

Last week we did secret pen pal letters to other students in our class (they drew names.)

We are working on using complete sentences and proper conventions. They just started "free writing" during writer's workshop and I am using student work to demonstrate the various kinds of writing they could be doing.

This week they will write back to their secret pals, and also start pen pal letters to children in another school.

The following week, we will begin a unit on informational books. They will choose a topic they are an "expert" in and write about it. It will be a very guided activity and I will model each day a new section. (The introduction, three body paragraphs, conclusion.) They will do one paragraph each day with very directed modeling. We will then edit and revise the paragraphs the following week. The week AFTER that, they will publish their books, and create illustrations.

Also, for students in my class they need to have the same number of sentences in their paragraphs as their AGE. So 7-8 depending.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 29, 2009

We are still working on capitals, end marks, complete thoughts, etc. We are also working on naming and telling parts of sentences.

We spent a week discussing the Writing Process and comparing it to planting a seed so that the students can grasp that it is a P-R-O-C-E-S-S that takes some time and effort :) I started by reminding them that they learned the alphabet, then put the letters together to form words and the words together to form sentences. NOW they are ready to put the sentences together to form paragraphs, I told them...

Next, we took an assignment (one paragraph personal narrative about a favorite place) through the complete process for about two weeks. We are still working on publishing this on the computer, since we only have computer lab for 30 minutes twice a week...

We did a 4 square graphic organizer together, created a sloppy copy, revised together, edited together, and are publishing together.

Last week I gave them a graphic organizer to write a Friendly Letter. We discussed the parts on Monday, wrote the draft on Tuesday, revised and edited on Wednesday & Thursday, and published and mailed on Friday.

This week, we are discussing and practicing (loosely) some various genres of writing: journaling, personal interviews, etc. I will introduce storybook as a genre on Friday and we will begin to write a storybook next week. That will take a week or two.

In October, we will discuss descriptive writing, and create a Jack O' Lantern poem using the five senses; In November, we will discuss persuasive writing and write a paper from a turkey's point of view- trying to persuade people to not eat turkey this year. In December, we will work on lists and make a Christmas list, as well as more persuasive writing (Dear Santa letters and advertisements for the "best" toys);

In January and February we will practice informational writing (a how to paper; book reports and summaries; etc.)

In the Spring we will do a research paper on sharks to go along with a story in our Reading books. It will take several weeks and be a three paragraph paper.

I'm sure there are more things we'll be working on, but these are the biggies I have planned so far :)

6. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Oct 11, 2009

We started the year with "ideas". We worked on main idea and details. Then we started "organization" and having a lead sentence, topic sentence and details. Then we did a concluding sentence.
    Now we are working on "word choice" and we use mini-thesaurus' to find better words to put in their writing (strolled instead of walked)
    Last week we spent several days discussing writing workshop. Students have a "sloppy copy book" for their rough drafts, then they edit with me, they revise and publish their writing. The last step is illustrating. THEY LOVE IT!

7. CandyKisses

CandyKisses Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

The first week of school we covered punctuation and capitalization. They are amazing at it! I was pleasantly suprised :) We only had to take a week to review and it was mastered... My partner's class had to take three whole weeks just to cover capitalization and punctuation?!

The second week we reviewed how they had to reread their writing to make sure that it actually made sense, and we reviewed what made a sentence complete (noun, verb, makes sense, capital letter, endmark). Whollah! We were done w/ that at the end of that week! :)

Then, the third week we started writing about different topics. We wrote about animals, plants, toys, siblings, parents, etc. They really did enjoy it! We did that for about two weeks, then we started on adj's and adv's. It's the start of the 8th week, and we are still working on that, but they are really starting to get the hang of it! I'm super proud of them! We'll prolly start revising their writing next week...

8. marrbarr

marrbarr Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

good beginning of the year writing

I like to start out the year with Writer’s Workshop and Writer’s Notebook. One resource I found this year was a lesson plan for Writer's Workshop at teachershare.scholastic using the book Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street. It has really gotten my students motivated to do interesting and creative work. Teachershare is free so I use it a lot to get lessons that other teachers have submitted.