Writing

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1gdteach, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Feb 3, 2013

I usually just snoop around on the forums, but I am beating my head against the wall now and I need help. I teach 1st grade and I have the upper level students (most already reading on end of the year 1st or beginning of the year 2nd), but they struggle with writing. They have a hard time making complete sentences, the ones that make a complete sentence have a hard time writing a paragraph that makes sense to the end, and some of them are just not motivated to write no matter what I do. I just don't know what to do to help them. I am so lost. Please an suggestions.... :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

Paragraphing is inappropriate in grade 1.

What sentence writing mini lessons have you done?

4. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Feb 3, 2013

It may not be appropriate, but for CCS we have to write recount two or more appropriately sequenced events (which I refer to as a paragraph). We have had mini lessons on adding to sentences such as Who: ___________ (Ex. the cat) What: (Ex. The cat is playing) When:____________(Ex. The cat is playing at night) Where: The cat is playing in the box at night. I did this to show how to add more to a sentence than just the cat is playing. We also do A LOT of work on correcting sentences to make sure they capital letters, punctuation and spacing.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

So it's one focused piece of writing...not multiple paragraphs?

Have you tried using a 4 square graphic organizer?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

I second the 4 square organizer.

Also, I would use some sentence frames. At least to build more confidence.

Are your students worried about spelling the words correctly? I talk about kid writing with my students and how they can spell the words different ways. This helps many of my students feel more comfortable writing because they can spell the words phonetically.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 4, 2013

I teach T-1 and my kids love to write...give them a purpose. We wrote the President and his office responded. We wrote the Veteran's Hospital and they responded. We put our letters to Santa in the paper. Anything that makes them realize that writing is important. I promise it works. Even publishing a story or letter a week in your newsletter is a great way to get them interested.