Writing

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ADAW, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ADAW

ADAW Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

Confused....is it only the state of Alabama that makes writing a priority because of the state writing assessment for 5th, 7th, and 10th grade? I was looking through 2 pages of posts and only one was about writing. Every mode is tested except persuasive, but we are still expected to teach it. Anyone else have to teach all 4 modes of writing? How do you pace yourself?

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2010

Third grade tests in four areas--persuasive, narrative, informational, and response to literature.

Fifth grade tests in three--persuasive, narrative, informational

eighth and graduation test in persuasive and informational.

I spent the whole first quarter teaching with the narrative strand because I could put all the mini-lessons in that you use in all areas into those lessons. For example, we talked about hooks, conclusions, vocabulary, emphasis on verbs, specific nouns, etc.

The second quarter I started with the informational strand, adding to the hooks, discussing how the organizational structure was different, but reviewing and expanding on all those style lessons that we had already learned. It went so well that I also introduced persuasive two weeks before Christmas.

When we get back, I'll continue with persuasive for about 2 weeks, review informational for 2 more, go back to narrative for a few, then open it up to everything. We'll be testing the first week in March. Early, I think.

I think I like what I've done as far as pacing goes. But I do get to teach it every day for an hour. It helps that I made a list of every mini-lesson that I wanted to have covered and I can see that I'm more than half done with them. There's one in the back of "Razzle Dazzle Writing".

I'll save the response to lit (which is in our standards but not tested) until after the writing test.

4. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jan 2, 2010

We test in 3rd, 5th, and not sure what the ones above me are. I step is a huge deal my school does tons of focus on writing and improving our teaching strategies.

I do mini lessons and work with the students on their writing skills. Multiple times a week, my English program also incorporates writing in its lessons but I don't count that as writing instruction time.

My building uses the 6+1 traits. As for pacing not sure what to tell you there. I always start with personal narratives because its easier for them to write about themselves and go from there.

5. ACAteacher

ACAteacher New Member

Jan 24, 2010

ADAW

In Alabama, 5th graders are responsible for mastering three modes: descriptive, narrative, expository. Fifth graders to only be introduced to persuasive.(I always did this at the end of the year in May after all state testing is completed.)
    Students are to master persuasive writing in the 6th grade. As students enter 7th grade, they should have mastered all 4 modes. In 7th grade, students are to be prepared to respond to one of four modes: descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive.
    In 10th grade, students are given 60 minutes to respond to a prompt in one of three modes: persuasive, narrative, and expository.
    Most states do give writing assessments, but the grades and modes vary from state to state.
    I taught 5th grade writing for 16 years and now teach 9th grade writing to prep them for the 10th grade assessment. I have been told that the ADAW will be phased out in a few years and will instead a writing component will be added to the ARMT. Hope this helped.