Writing Workshop?!?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 1stferg, Nov 1, 2005.

1. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 1, 2005

What do you do during writing workshop?

I got observed on Monday. The only thing my Principal could really find a problem with was my writing workshop. He thought it was kind of weak. He is right. (she shrugs) I have to admit I am not that excited about writing. I prefer to do detailed reading and math lessons.

Usually during writing workshop I let the kids make journal entries. Sometimes we make a class book or write a letter or card for a special purpose.

I am supposed to have a specific time set aside for a writing workshop including mini lessons. I would appreciate it if you all would share what you do for writing workshop.

Thanks a bunch,
    Susan

3. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Nov 1, 2005

I use my writing workshop time to teach specific writing genres. For instance, when I was having my formal evaluation last week I taught how to write a how-to paragraph. I started by bringing in PB and J and bread and had the students walk me through how to make a sandwich. I followed their directions literally until the realized that they needed to be more specific.

For Thanksgiving we're going to do persuasive writing. The students will write from the point of view of a turkey and have to persuade the reader why they should or should not eat him for dinner.

4. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

5. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 2, 2005

Good ideas and helpful web sites.
    Thanks so much!!!
    Susan

6. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Nov 2, 2005

Both of these are brilliant, and I am going to save them for when I have my own classroom! Thanks for sharing them!

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

8. mbock

mbock New Member

Jan 15, 2006

4th grade writing - new teacher

I really like your two ideas on teaching writing to fourth grade. They seem to very motivating for them. Do you have any ideas for teaching summary, narrative, or response to liturature. These are the three possible prompt for the CA writing test in 4th grade. I am new to teaching writing and have been struggling so far. I work at a school where writing is a struggle for many students because of langauge barriers and they seem to have a real dislike and frustration with writing. Do you have any more ideas to really motivate them and break it down into easier steps.

9. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Jan 17, 2006

I think that the best way to begin teaching writing is by modeling. Choose a topic, ie My Favorite Memory. Then go through the entire writing process with the class. Start with showing the kids how your brainstorm. There are so many different types of mapping you could do here. I like to make a web, but framing is also useful. (Framing is when you draw a circle in the middle of a square. In the circle you write your topic and in each corner of the square you write the ideas, feelings or anything else that helps frame your topic. Then have the students pick their own memory and do their own mapping. Continue with then writing a topic sentence together and working on details, etc. I'm sure you know all the steps...If you model and then have the students do it on their own, that should help, especially for language learners.

Also...I try to give my students at least 20mins a day to just free-write. I put a topic on the board and they write in their journals. This helps to get their creative juices flowing.

10. Miss.H

Miss.H Rookie

Jan 17, 2006

I find that when I write recounts with any grade that we take photos of a special day. e.g an excursion, fireman visit etc

Then I get the children to put the photos in the correct order up on the board.

THen they have to write what happened in the day using the photos to help them remember what they did.

It has always been successful for me.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2006

During writers workshop I teach
    mini lesson
    model writing
    independent writing/conference with students
    share time
    It takes me about 45 min. to do this
    For example today I taught the kids how to use adjectives in their writing